The Mourinho Thread

Unless next season I am proven wrong, the only reason why we don't play such flowing football is because the players in some positions are inadequate for what we need, at least now. For example, we need a high line to play offensive football, and against bigger sides that press us that becomes a problem, which is why we retreat, imo. Our youngest lineup possible is passable but firstly he never plays Azpi and Luis together, and Ivanovic causes severe weaknesses on our defence, especially when it's Cahill who is exposed. (Azpi-Zouma-Terry-Luis) and to fix this we need a new fullback to act as second choice to Azpi/Luis and a fast centre back to pair with Zouma against such sides.

We have within our squad the ability to change the defence such that we are capable of playing a more proactive defensive game (as you say: Azpi, Zouma, Terry, Luis) but Jose hasn't suggested that he is interested in making these changes. If he did then we'd be lining up with more mobile defenders who are more compatible with a high-intensity pressing game but ultimately he has shown clear preference to the current defence even though it is very limiting in the big games especially, perhaps because it gives him an excuse to play the reactive, passive football he craves.

Barcelona have been the ultimate example of how good a pressing team can be but the first lesson to take from their example is the quality of players required to succeed that way. Forget their defenders, that's not how Barca defend. They recover the ball high and they are exceptionally good at retaining it once they have. That's because they have a critical mass of players who can receive a pass, even a bad one, in tight situations and do something positive with it. We don't.

Sure Barcelona are a team with technically excellent players all-round but you don't need that to play a pressing game successfully as the likes of Leverkusen and Atletico have shown.

I think we can all agree Jose has been over-conservative in a lot of our big matches this season. If we manage to win the league,hopefully a lot of the pressure will be off his shoulders. I hope he will know exactly what to do in the summer transfer window to increase the team's flexibility in terms of playing different styles at different stages of the game.

Koke - Will allow us to keep the ball and also have an eye for goal when the team is ahead. Him being a very complete player gives us a huge advantage in these situations.

Varane - Cahill has been a disgrace this season and loses it when the slightest things go against him. Varane will be our present and our future alongside Zouma.

Kondogbia - We really can't expect Fabregas to be battling it out in midfield. If the team is under huge pressure and we need more defensive qualities on the pitch, Kondogbia is our answer. Positionally very good unlike Ramires and Mikel and attacking wise he good as well. Other option: Khedira.

Icardi/Dybala - I feel the need for another striker because Drogba doesn't seem to cut it anymore. Most of top teams have more than 1 world class strikere and although these two are not world class, they have a huge potential to be so. Also I really can't find a striker who is willing to sit on the bench.

We have within our squad the ability to change the defence such that we are capable of playing a more proactive defensive game (as you say: Azpi, Zouma, Terry, Luis) but Jose hasn't suggested that he is interested in making these changes. If he did then we'd be lining up with more mobile defenders who are more compatible with a high-intensity pressing game but ultimately he has shown clear preference to the current defence even though it is very limiting in the big games especially, perhaps because it gives him an excuse to play the reactive football he craves.

Sure Barcelona are a team with technically excellent players all-round but you don't need that to play a pressing game successfully as the likes of Leverkusen and Atletico have shown.

Atleti are an excellent team, packed with outstanding players. Leverkausen have won what since 2002 and what in the ten years before that?

I suppose the word successfully can be defined in different ways. At Chelsea I think it defines winning trophies. It's up to Bayer fans and officials to decide what success means to them.

And even if by surprise, he's able to deliver such football, the moment it goes wrong or appears to not be going according to plan his natural instinct will kick in and he will revert to his comfort zone anyway. Either way, the sort of football people are demanding isn't going to happen under jose.

Didn't that happen once already ? After Sunderland game in League Cup in December 2013, Jose said that scrapping wins and winning by one goal in the easiest thing in football. Since then we've reverted to his shell and as you said 'comford zone' by playing very conserative with Ivanovic-Cahill-Terry-Azpilicueta back line almost every time with maximum protection. I think we played better and more expansive at the beginnig of this season but even then when big game arrived or away game then we reverted to usual self.

So even when we indeed are going to sign more of his players, players that suits his demands and style of play (which is not only neutralizing opponents, right ?), a trusted lieutenants but with more quality, then I'm not sure that he doesn't pull Sunderland speech all over again and revert to his unstrained land ...

I fully believe that he deserves time to form his team with majority of players that he pickes to be the ones AND THEN BE JUDGED but I simply can't get over that the more could be done now. He said about long term plans many times but currently it's short term solutions by him all over again.

I think Jose has done brilliant short-term work now - 2 trophies in 2 years is very good, regardless of quality of todays league. He deserves time to done the job on the long term and get final grades for that in the future seasons.

Anyone of you have read Carlo Ancelotti's biography ? He talks there about his first meeting with Abramovich in Paris (when he moved like a spy not to be spotted by anyone because he still had a contract with Milan - funny story). During his first meeting with the boss, Roman said to him "My team lacks identity. I see other teams like Barcelona with recognisable style and I don't see anything like that in my team. I want to have team with clear identity ... Can you deliver that to me ?" That's what Roman emphasised the most as Carlo said.

I just reminded myself about this and I think our boss isn't overly happy with current team. If he knows football as is said he knows and still has freak about clear identity then Jose hasn't delivered yet what Roman wants. I believe that Jose knows what our owner is expecting and after 2 years of short-term solutions he has to build long-term plan starting from next season. For example, the youths from the Academy have to start playing and not be numbers you can mess about, playing style without overly protection but with real pressing game.

We nullified Spurs by sacrifing Zouma to exclude Ericksen from the game, we put Azpilcueta on exterminate mission against Filipe in last year Champions League semi-final. We're not talking about nullifing Messi, Neymar or Robben/Ribery FFS but about teams against which we should be on top. We haven't yet imposed ourself against big side from the beginning and we're the big team.

We played some very good stuff against respectable team for example against Liverpool last year in December at home when we conceded early. We were on top for majority of the game, playing very good. The same happened again this season in the away fixture, until we conceded we were in our shell, after we conceded we imposed ourself, creating lots of chances. Against Spurs in autumn 2013 in an away game, we played carefully and shit in the first half eventually conceded a goal, then in the second we were absolutely brilliant, playing dominant football for majority of the game when our players had mind adjusted 'to score' not to 'not concede'. Against PSG last year in the away game, we conceded early but then for that 20-25 minutes spell we played some brilliant stuff because we really WANTED to score. And I don't think that's a coincidence. After we scored against PSG and LFC (both away games) and had positive result then we retreated again and had a hard time once more.

These examples just give me reasons to think that even with this side more could be done, for real. When we're not afraid to lose we can impose and be on top despite having Willians, Oscars etc. But we rarely have that mindset 'to score' against big teams, only looking to neutralize them.

But if Jose is saying that no, we can't impose ourself and Roman wants to have an identity in his side, then there is conflict of interests. Roman will help Jose with financial fundings and let's hope vice-versa will be done too.

Mourinho said something like that after the PSG game. He said the players didn't know how to handle the pressure of being a man up and with the lead. When we don't need to get a goal, we suddenly react over cautiously.

That's why we need to win the league. After that we'll go into games having nothing to lose since we've won the big trophy already...

Atleti is a team packed with outstanding players but we aren't? I don't buy the excuse that a team needs everyone to be technically good à la Barcelona to play a pressing game. It's simply not true. If you watched the recent Atleti-Leverkusen games then you'll have noticed that both teams are excellent at pressing the opposition even though they are not so good at being pressed themselves (since they are not technically outstanding). You argue that because the likes of Willian, Oscar, Costa, Ramires, etc. wouldn't get in the Barca squad, that somehow justifies Jose's excessively passive and reactive big-game approach. I can't agree with that.

My argument is that if we played the high press game with our squad we'd concede possession far too often in dangerous situations and get countered to death. Pick the best back five on the planet, put them in that situation and they'd concede goals for fun. If we played that way we'd win as much as Leverkausen do.

Sides hoping to be successful playing that style need to be packed with players who are good at recovering and retaining possession. That requires a critical mass of players with high energy, great touch, poise in possession, tight close control, rapid speed of thought and accurate passing. I say a critical mass because it only takes one Ramires, Willian, Oscar, or Mikel to break the chain and we not only have those four, we also have more where they came from.

My point re Barca is that most of our starters wouldn't even get in their squad precisely because our lot don't have the qualities to play the Barca way. I know it's only my opinion but I simply do not believe you are right to think that our current squad can be successful playing the way you want us to. The inescapable conclusion is that you rate our players more highly than I do.

My argument is that if we played the high press game with our squad we'd concede possession far too often in dangerous situations and get countered to death. Pick the best back five on the planet, put them in that situation and they'd concede goals for fun. If we played that way we'd win as much as Leverkausen do.

Sides hoping to be successful playing that style need to be packed with players who are good at recovering and retaining possession. That requires a critical mass of players with high energy, great touch, poise in possession, tight close control, rapid speed of thought and accurate passing. I say a critical mass because it only takes one Ramires, Willian, Oscar, or Mikel to break the chain and we not only have those four, we also have more where they came from.

My point re Barca is that most of our starters wouldn't even get in their squad precisely because our lot don't have the qualities to play the Barca way. I know it's only my opinion but I simply do not believe you are right to think that our current squad can be successful playing the way you want us to. The inescapable conclusion is that you rate our players more highly than I do.

I agree. I think we are looking to play with more style, like we did pre Jan 1. I think this is not only due to our slow back line but because our squad is too thin in most areas to allow us to rest, say, Cesc for a week (2 matches) eg after crimbo or Matic, because either the replacements are too poor or non existent ( Mikel for Matic, Ramires for Cesc)

Which is why Jose will need to make some changes. I think next season will be his defining one, whether he presses ahead and plays more tiki taka football or decides to buy players who can do ugly footy. But I think that if ugly football was his goal he would have passed on Cesc and kept Lamps for an extra year.

I personally believe that the current big-game system of trying to start counter attacks from deep within our own half highlights the weaknesses of said players more than a pressing system would do. The current tactics require us to make a string of correct decisions and accurate passes which is perhaps why our counter attacks have looked so poor. In addition to Hazard and Costa I feel like our more limited players (e.g. Ramires, Willian) would thrive on a system which encourages mobility, athleticism and making fewer correct decisions with the ball (by winning the ball higher up the pitch). You could argue we would be made more defensively vulnerable with the higher line that would be required but it's not as though the current system is working particularly well in making us defensively solid. We have been penned back (willingly or otherwise) into our own half so many times against big teams this season and we usually end up conceding or with the GK making a save. Change the defence to Azpi-Zouma-Terry-Luis and it means the whole team is more suited to a pressing game IMO.

What Jose did in many Real Madrid games (particularly against Barca) was to press high for the first 20 or so minutes and then sit back more afterwards. Atletico also use a variation of this and it would be nice to see it here. Why we do we have to be passive and deep for the entire 90 minutes when we could play more aggressively and proactively, at least for periods of the game? I get the impression that the 'sit deep & wait for a mistake' kind of tactics we've been seeing is what Jose ultimately prefers. If we'd fucked up so many times after taking the lead by playing aggressively and with a higher line would Jose have changed something? Absolutely. Has he done the reverse? Nope which suggests we're already using his default preference regardless of personnel.

Clearly you think that our more limited players would be hindered by a pressing system but I actually think the opposite (assuming the defence were changed) in that their limitations would be masked more. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Blimey ! Leverkusen can spend 10m€ on Son and call it a "big transfer". They have worse chance of winning anything because of their financial limits not style of play ...

I read here that we're a team on a budget :o While a player like Hazard only came here because we offered him and his agent the most money. Same with Diego Costa, agent got a hefty cheque to bring him here. We spend the most money in the Premier League on agents in the last couple of seasons ... But ok.

We have enough quality and variety to play better and be more on the front foot. But Jose simply isn't creative enough. The only creative thing that he's done so far is converting Azpilicueta to LB. Oh, yeah, there's also switch Zouma and David Luiz to play DM-destroyer position. Of course it's only defensive changes. Going forward, he rather dispose someone who isn't perfect enough than fit him and change his position.

One example is Juan Mata. He changed his position last season to play RW resulting in that Mata had fewer goals in the league than John Obi Mikel ... Didn't record single assisst, despite having 35 of those season before.

That's him basically. He uses ready models and try to improve them, if they're talented enough and fits the mould enough then they can become a real, real special under his guidance.

He has to get there in the market and buy his disciples who are of high quality as well.

That's why I hope he find his 'Maicon' who falls into his type of full-back category so is tall, fast, powerful and fantastic in both ends of the pitch, because experiment of turning Ivanovic into Maicon is failing.

That figure acutally contradicte your argument. You cannot argue that team had no talent and were weak, but that figure actually support that Mou inheritied a strong team. Mou spend a lot of money and he also soled a lot of talent players. By using that net spend, you are disguising the money Mou has spent.

I absloutely cannot believe this, Mou hasen't been given enough money to spend? That is bullcrap, i did a quick calculation we have spent almost 250m Euros since Mou took over. Almost every club is envious of how much money we have spent and also how good we have dealt our players in the transfer market. Mou spent 30m on Cuadrado, and he has been sparingly used. How many managers have the luxery of spending that much money on a squad player?

Thank you. At least one person on this forum is able to read properly what I said.

Mou shouldn't get any credit for us having a balanced budget. He was lucky as I already said that there were quality players and huge talents in the squad already when he took over. It was the front office that was able to get a good financial return for players like Mata etc, not Mourinho. However, demanding players that fit his playing style now that's on Mourinho. The amount we paid for said players relative to their output on the pitch is ridiculous.