The Mourinho Thread

Liverpool in the league?

The first half was pretty bad defensively - they cut through our midfield so easily on at least 2 occasions. We were also lucky not to concede a penalty at 2-1 after dropping too deep and constantly giving the ball away so I don't think that game counts lol

To be fair I don't think we stood a chance at winning even if we attacked.

Jesus Fucking Navas of all people had the beating of our best fullback. I think we had to sit back and just ride it out. Not proud to say it, but I think it was necessary.

Come off it, mate. Of course we did. I have a lot of belief and trust in the quality of our players and City were not exactly in the best of shape coming into this game. 2 defeats 2 draws. No win since 4th of January. Rusty Aguero and no Yaya Toure.

The first half was pretty bad defensively - they cut through our midfield so easily on at least 2 occasions. We were also lucky not to concede a penalty at 2-1 after dropping too deep and constantly giving the ball away so I don't think that game counts lol

You asked which away match, and then you want to get all picky with the little incidents? :carlo:

You asked which away match, and then you want to get all picky with the little incidents? :carlo:

Wait, what? :carlo:

Don't tell me you don't remember? I said Mou should drop Cahill and Ivanovic for Zouma and Luis, and you said he won't because he has his favourites. I said I don't buy it, claiming he's flexible.

Two huge games and no Cahill. Now it's just Ivanovic who's left.

Don't tell me you don't remember? I said Mou should drop Cahill and Ivanovic for Zouma and Luis and you said he won't because he has his favourites. I said I don't buy it, claiming he's flexible.

Two huge games and no Cahill. Now it's just Ivanovic who's left.

I seriously don't recall it at all. :lol: When was that?

To be fair, it took him until that 5-3 debacle to drop Cahill. Had the result been different, doubt he would have done it. As for Ivanovic, well, not expecting that change any time soon. Has made so errors this season and yet not once dropped to the bench for an extended period of time. Moreover, Mourinho likes to have 3 tall defenders or CBs in the back 4.

I asked for a big away match where we attacked well and defended well... You gave an example and I explained how we didn't defend so well. How is that being picky?

You didn't really point that out...but never mind.

It was only the first half or first 25-30 minutes or so. Otherwise, we pretty much controlled the game both offensively and defensively.

It was only the first half or first 25-30 minutes or so. Otherwise, we pretty much controlled the game both offensively and defensively.

We were definitely not controlled defensively/offensively for the last 10 minutes either. Constantly giving the ball away and allowing the opposition into good shooting opportunities (Gerrard's shot that led to Cahill's handball) doesn't scream good defending to me. So you could argue it was up to 40 minutes of lack of control and balance which is a pretty big proportion of the game.

Wasn't he speaking about a specific match when he said that? Because that would be one of the stupidest things to say if he was talking in general. I certainly wouldn't want a manager who acts like that. The only generalized "philosophy" a manager should have is that "I will always try my best to do what is in the best interest of the club within the laws and regulations of the game."

I assume it's in reference to this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-chelsea-would-lose-4734062

We were definitely not controlled defensively/offensively for the last 10 minutes either. Constantly giving the ball away and allowing the opposition into good shooting opportunities (Gerrard's shot that led to Cahill's hand ball) doesn't scream good defending to me. So you could argue it was up to 40 minutes of lack of control and balance which is a pretty big proportion of the game.

Shooting opportunities but were any of them really dangerous (apart from the Gerrard one)? Controlling the game is more than just keeping the ball. It can also come without having the ball.

I seriously don't recall it at all. :lol: When was that?

To be fair, it took him until that 5-3 debacle to drop Cahill. Had the result been different, doubt he would have done it. As for Ivanovic, well, not expecting that change any time soon. Has made so errors this season and yet not once dropped to the bench for an extended period of time. Moreover, Mourinho likes to have 3 tall defenders or CBs in the back 4.

It couldn't have been more than two weeks ago, don't remember. So it was after the Spurs game.

He does like tall defenders but I have hope. Superior quality should trump all preferences.

That's just my opinion , an opinion the owner of the club also shares. No need to get defensive like a little bitch. If you like the way we played in the 2nd half, that's fine by me. Let's pretend we never play that way and it's only an oddity or anomaly because Costa and Fabregas were not there. Those two were there at the Etihad and what happened exactly? We played like dinosaurs, defending for 90 mins, like a pub side. The investment isn't matching the football.

If we don't win the league or CL this season, he'll be gone, whether you like it or not.

I don't think the way we played in the second half is a consequence of the manager, it comes down to not having any real way to inject pace to change the game. If you are gonna place blame on the manager it would come in the first leg against Liverpool where we sat deep and never threatened in the second half(we couldn't connect any passes) that result forced us into having to play a crucial game on Tuesday.

The guys were tired today anyone who has watched more than 5 football matches could see that.

It couldn't have been more than two weeks ago, don't remember. So it was after the Spurs game.

He does like tall defenders but I have hope. Superior quality should trump all preferences.

Only two weeks ago? OMG! I seriously don't remember it all!! :lol::fainthv9:

Shooting opportunities but were any of them really dangerous (apart from the Gerrard one)? Controlling the game is more than just keeping the ball. It can also come without having the ball.
Not that I can remember but allowing even one dangerous opportunity in the last few minutes (against that awful Pool side) is one too many. I agree that you can definitely control the game without possession but that tends to entail having a good defensive shape and looking like not conceding. In the last part of the game I remember us giving the ball away in dangerous positions and we were trying but failing to get out of our own half. Lucky that Liverpool were playing so badly and even then we should have conceded a penalty. If that Liverpool game is the only example of a big away game where you could argue that we had control and attacking/defensive balance (at times) then that does highlight my point.

Calling the COC semis against Liverpool an impressive performance is a massive overstatement. They outplayed us especially in that first half, we ended the game strongly but we didn't score a single goal from open play in over 200 minutes.

Again, I'm struggling to think of a complete 90 minute performance we've had in the big games this season. Even the 3-0 against Spurs was extremely fortunate considering they thoroughly dominated us in the opening 15-20 minutes before crumbling in typical Tottenham fashion.