The Mourinho Thread

So the first half of the season is definitely over, and I think it's fair to say Ivanovic and Cahill have made quite a few mistakes (understatement). I'd love to see Zouma and Luis receive that same kind of trust he put in Ivanovic and Cahill and give them starting spots. Remember how Luiz and Cole were dropped after below-par performances? So it's definitely not beyond the realms of possibility.

Keep them in the team in the second half of the season even if they mistakes, bar the extreme of course. They would definitely bring a greater athleticism into the defence.

So the first half of the season is definitely over, and I think it's fair to say Ivanovic and Cahill have made quite a few mistakes (understatement). I'd love to see Zouma and Luis receive that same kind of trust he put in Ivanovic and Cahill and give them starting spots. Remember how Luiz and Cole were dropped after below-par performances? So it's definitely not beyond the realms of possibility.

Thing is though, Mourinho appears to have one set of rules for one group of players and another for the other group.

It's part of the cult of personality that surrounds Mourinho and sorry to say, the small mindedness of some, the follower mentality, especially (but not limited to) among the johnny come lately, post-Abramovich crowd who think Mourinho is the best thing ever to happen to Chelsea and can seemingly do whatever the hell he wants. Including moaning about the fans, making very questionable remarks by paralleling our support with Scouse scum with the latest "25% bullshit".

Maybe, just maybe if you didn't set up the team to be so pathetically defensive in the first place, the fans who paid good money to watch it in the blistering cold would have had something to shout about!

Sorry but that is simply not true, of course he is going to get cut more slack compared to say Scolari because of his history with the club, the same way Cech has escaped criticism for shipping 4 to Bradford but you could bet your bottom dollar Tibo wouldn't have been so lucky.

Thing is though, Mourinho appears to have one set of rules for one group players and another for the other group.

Yes, the infamous Mourinho untouchables. I understand how it can at times seem that way, but I'm still not convinced that's true. You'd think a manager at the highest level wouldn't let favouritism affect his job. It was understandable with the likes of Drogba, Lamps etc., they were top class, but Cahill and Ivanovic? Come on. I hope that's not the case.

Yes, the infamous Mourinho untouchables. I understand how it can at times seem that way, but I'm still not convinced that's true. You'd think a manager at the highest level wouldn't let favouritism affect his job. It was understandable with the likes of Drogba, Lamps etc., they were top class, but Cahill and Ivanovic? Come on. I hope that's not the case.

Manager or not, Mourinho is human after all and like all humans, sometimes we can let favoritism cloud our judgment or affect our way of thinking. Mourinho can be too stubborn or pragmatic for his own good.

Well its a MASSIVE difference in quality between Ferreira-Carvalho-Terry-Cole/Gallas and Iva-Cahill-Terry(old)-Azpi/Luis. Our defense works good as unit but even then only if Matic and Cesc are fully rested. While Cole, Terry and Carvalho were probably best back three in PL history. Azpi has all the quality to take get close, but we are two CBs short and RB to make that complete. Terry is still good, but need big support from faster defenders, while Zouma is way too young and inexperienced to become Mourinho's guy like Terry was 10 years ago. Terry was whole different beast than Zouma or even Varane and thats a fact.

Mourinho in Porto had Costa, Carvalho, Ferreira, Valente and Lucio, Samuel, Chivu, Maicon at Inter, not to mention Costinha, Zanetti, Cambiasso who added extra defensive solidity to back four. Not to even go at Chelsea with Cole, Terry, Carvalho, Essien, Makelele...the difference in defensive quality between those teams and today's chelsea is giant. And even IF we buy few world class defenders, it takes time for those to understand each other. 2004 Chelsea was more exception than rule for Mou.

But said all that, we should win Premier League title this year with this team, no doubt. CL IMO will be almost impossible, but for league, no excuses; not after the 5pt lead we currently have and home game vs City.

Good point. If you isolate any of our defenders 1v1 (apart from Azpi usually) then we're screwed. I'm not sure how that is possible in a team vying for PL and CL glory but because of it we need to make sure our defenders are not exposed and we're not doing such a good job of that, for reasons previously mentioned. Against Liverpool, Sterling was allowed to run at Cahill (even though we were parking the bus!) and that meant there was only one conclusion.

Manager or not, Mourinho is human after all and like all humans, sometimes we can let favoritism cloud our judgment or affect our way of thinking. Mourinho can be too stubborn or pragmatic for his own good.

Of course. But then again, Cole was a favourite too. Lampard didn't always play either last season, even though the alternatives weren't much better, if at all.

But more importantly, Mourinho is all about results. He would not let anything come before that. And again, Cahill and Ivanovic. Talk about a poor choice of untouchables. That does not mean I actually think he'll make the changes. I just don't think (hope) that would be the reason for sticking with them.

Of course. But then again, Cole was a favourite too. Lampard didn't always play either last season, even though the alternatives weren't much better, if at all.

But more importantly, Mourinho is all about results. He would not let anything come before that. And again, Cahill and Ivanovic. Talk about a poor choice of untouchables. That does not mean I actually think he'll make the changes. I just don't think (hope) that would be the reason for sticking with them.

Key word there - was. Clearly he didn't fancy Cole as much as he did in his previous spell here. As for Lampard, he didn't always play but still did a lot more than Cole.

Shame to some members here, really annoying when we lose a match some members are really really disgrace for them be here. How many matches we lost this season. THREE (3) FUCKING 3. We all wanted him to be here and he will be for long time we all want this. We clearly wanted to lose this match, not because FA is less important for us but we have 2 massive massive matches in 1 week especially against City (tittle decider). Support the team even when the manager or players don't do well. Sorry guys.

Thing is though, Mourinho appears to have one set of rules for one group of players and another for the other group.

...perfectly exemplified by his comments after the City game. Schurrle, an attacking player, gets lambasted publicly for momentarily losing concentration in defence whilst Ivanovic, a defender, does the exact same thing and gets away scot-free (as he has on many occasions).

Key word there - was. Clearly he didn't fancy Cole as much as he did in his previous spell here. As for Lampard, he didn't always play but still did a lot more than Cole.

Was that because of his performances or was it because they did not get along the 2nd time around? That's something we'll never know. I will give you this though, the way Cole just 'disappeared' was absolutely bizarre.

Shame to some members here, really annoying when we lose a match some members are really really disgrace for them be here. How many matches we lost this season. THREE (3) FUCKING 3. We all wanted him to be here and he will be for long time we all want this. We clearly wanted to lose this match, not because FA is less important for us but we have 2 massive massive matches in 1 week especially against City (tittle decider). Support the team even when the manager or players don't do well. Sorry guys.

:doh:

I'm sorry but that part there is a joke.

Was that because of his performances or was it because they did not get along the 2nd time around? That's something we'll never know. I will give you this though, the way Cole just 'disappeared' was absolutely bizarre.

Maybe it's just me but I find that his treatment of players since he returned hasn't been all that impressive really.

...perfectly exemplified by his comments after the City game. Schurrle, an attacking player, gets lambasted publicly for momentarily losing concentration in defence whilst Ivanovic, a defender, does the exact same thing and gets away scot-free (as he has on many occasions).

"He blames who he wants. He blames who he wants."

:P