The Mourinho Thread

His decline, just like those before him is inevitable and a natural part of any sport. Only ferguson was able to maintain the incredible standard he set for him self over 2 decade till he retired (That's why He's the greatest manager of all time). Great managers almost always fall off and lose their mojo overtime. Wenger,ottmar hitzfeld, Van gaal,Capello, Hiddink,Trapattoni,et al.

I do believe he's still good enough to win league titles every now and then though but he's showing gradual signs of decline overall. it will take a few more years before he completey and inevitably lose his mojo

Like when Ferguson was eliminated in the CHampions League in the stage group by Benfica with Ronaldo and Rooney on the pitch. That was increadible. People here moan about semi finals... imagine if we are eliminated in the stage group of the Champions League (I think it happened more than one time but I'm not sure).

He is but he can't do everything by himself if the players out there on the pitch do not motivate themselves and stand up to be counted. Think we can all agree that there's a genuine concern about the lack of leaders in the team. Terry and Drogba aside, who else can we really consider to be a true leader? Those 2 aren't going to be around forever. If the others don't step up now, then I don't know when they will.

Exactly and thats why it bothers me why do we still look after players like Douglas Costa (appatently)? We need experienced leaders who can take responsibility when its necessary. We dont need more young players. They simply dont fit into Mourinho's type of tactics, plans and mentality.

And worse, even Hazard, Costa and Cesc for example are no where near level of leader that Terry, Lamps, Drogba were or Zanetti, Cambiasso, Etoo (when Mou was at inter).

All that said, I was not convinced not last season or this season, that this chelsea team IS the one to win it all and absolute favourite like many say. It will took few more years to get there, more time for Hazard to fully mature, for Cesc and Costa to take lead of this team properly (Drogba or Lamps werent leaders imediately either).

But buying players like Douglas Costa is defo not helping Mou and I think him buying players like Schurrle, Salah or Willian (all young talent) instead of fully mature players who would be ready to reach peak now when we NEED titles, might be big mistake from Mou. He wants trophies now, but these players he was buying will take few more years to peak.

Thats why having Oscar, Willian in this team gives many positives but also many negatives. They aint Mou type of players mentaly. Might be talented or hard working, but mentaly no where near ready.

What makes problem bigger is that Ramires, Mikel, Remy etc who are at peak dont step up either.

Probably looking after Reus, Varane or Pogba wouldnt be that great either if we want trophies now. Vidal, Otamendi, Turan, Godin...(just throwing some names) have much better mentality and profile of Mourinho's leader than those young players.

Having Mourinho and long term youth project (Hazard, Willian - who aint even young anymore, Oscar, Salah, Schurrle,...) may not be best option. Hazard stands out due to his immense quality, but even he cant win games regulary like Lamps or Drogba did - yet.

It's not so much a decline in ability but more that his methods have become dated. Football evolves; you either change with it or get left behind, and I feel that's happening with Mourinho to some extent. The Liverpool game was scandalous. No other top European team would go to Anfield and play as cowardly a game as we did - no other big team shows the same lack of ambition we did that night. And what's crazy is we have fans who think having 2 shots on goal is some sort of tactical masterclass. Tactically I've always thought he was a bit overrated to be honest; he does what many managers do but has had the advantage of having some of the best players in the world at his disposal.

This times a x1000

We win and it's the player's who deserve all the plaudits. We lose and Mourinho is a clueless cunt. I'm not sure what has annoyed me most today; being criticised for not being a proper Chelsea fan as in the grand scheme of things I'm not overly bothered about the FA Cup, or seeing the same cretins creep out of the woodwork to splurge their dirge across this forum.

Mourinho tends to get just as much praise as the players when we win if not more, especially against the big sides. So surely it is only fair he is criticised when things go the other way.

Like when Ferguson was eliminated in the CHampions League in the stage group by Benfica with Ronaldo and Rooney on the pitch. That was increadible. People here moan about semi finals... imagine if we are eliminated in the stage group of the Champions League (I think it happened more than one time but I'm not sure).

And this is why it's foolish to sack a manager after one bad season.

Like we did with Carlo, one good and one bad season. Should at least have giving him his third season.

Mourinho has not done nothing worthy of sacking, lately the results are not that great but we are not like in relegation zone.

The man should continue with his contract. After that is when the club should take the decision if it's good to continue with him or not.

At the moment I don't see a case to have Mourinho for the long term. 5 to 6 years should be the max he can get if we continue in this trend.

But let's see how we finish the season, still PL and CL to fight for.

Respect to Jose for not hiding, but saying exactly what it was - an embarrassment, a failure by him and the players, and a special triumph for the smaller opposition. Shit happens, but I'm really pleased with how he finally assumes responsibility.

He had no other choice really. He would have looked a massive fool if he started making excuses for that. No one would have bought it.

Really? I must have missed that.

So you don't recall hearing phrases like 'Mourinho masterclass', 'Mourinho got his tactics spot on' and 'Mourinho's got his side playing brilliant football'? I'm pretty sure they are dished out every time we win. The victories against City, Liverpool and PSG last season were almost exclusively attributed to Mourinho's tactics.

Give credit where it's due mate, he did the right thing and that's what matters.

I'm not taking anything away from him. I just don't think it's a praise-worthy gesture. If he came out trying to make excuses, he'll have been lambasted.

I'm not taking anything away from him. I just don't think it's a praise-worthy gesture. If he came out trying to make excuses, he'll have been lambasted.

Fair enough, that's your view. My view is that when there can be reason for critics, then there can always be reason for praise.

Disorganised/non-existent pressing + big gaps within midfield/between midfield and defence = allows opposition the ball in dangerous positions and closer to our box against individually weak defenders = more likely to concede.

We see the above in most games and the fact that Jose still hasn't fixed this suggests he's either happy with the defensive system we have in place or doesn't know how to change it. Instead of trying to limit the number of times the opposition get the ball in dangerous positions he seems to prefer to blame individuals when we concede from those positions (e.g. Schurrle v City). There is no defensive stability in the side except for when we park the bus - and that doesn't always go well as we saw at City away this season or away to Liverpool in the COC.

Well its a MASSIVE difference in quality between Ferreira-Carvalho-Terry-Cole/Gallas and Iva-Cahill-Terry(old)-Azpi/Luis. Our defense works good as unit but even then only if Matic and Cesc are fully rested. While Cole, Terry and Carvalho were probably best back three in PL history. Azpi has all the quality to take get close, but we are two CBs short and RB to make that complete. Terry is still good, but need big support from faster defenders, while Zouma is way too young and inexperienced to become Mourinho's guy like Terry was 10 years ago. Terry was whole different beast than Zouma or even Varane and thats a fact.

Mourinho in Porto had Costa, Carvalho, Ferreira, Valente and Lucio, Samuel, Chivu, Maicon at Inter, not to mention Costinha, Zanetti, Cambiasso who added extra defensive solidity to back four. Not to even go at Chelsea with Cole, Terry, Carvalho, Essien, Makelele...the difference in defensive quality between those teams and today's chelsea is giant. And even IF we buy few world class defenders, it takes time for those to understand each other. 2004 Chelsea was more exception than rule for Mou.

But said all that, we should win Premier League title this year with this team, no doubt. CL IMO will be almost impossible, but for league, no excuses; not after the 5pt lead we currently have and home game vs City.

So you don't recall hearing phrases like 'Mourinho masterclass', 'Mourinho got his tactics spot on' and 'Mourinho's got his side playing brilliant football'? I'm pretty sure they are dished out every time we win. The victories against City, Liverpool and PSG last season were almost exclusive attributed to Mourinho's genius.

Every now and again, but not every game. But that isn't my point. There are a lot of fraying tempers on this board and I want to log off now before I get further frustrated. What I personally believe is that the level of criticism directed at Mourinho is totally unjustifiable compared to the relative lack of congratulations he gets at the end of most matches.

Ultimately I hold the players responsible for almost every defeat. They're the ones kicking the ball around, not José. He shouldn't have to motivate £100,000-a-week players to score more goals than the opposition, especially a side 45 places lower down the Football League pyramid than ourselves. There are times when you can critique José's team selection, his substitutions or his tactics, but the side we put out today was good enough to beat Bradford. We were just undone by an horrific second half performance and were caught up in the magic of the FA Cup.

It's funny how some posters were already on the low trying to shift blame for this appalling result away from the manager to the players by saying stuff like "that's why Jose doesn't play kids" when the only kid in sight was Christiansen! Zouma the so called "kid" probably has more caps than Bradford's entire squad! It's not like we had Boga, Loftus Cheek, Solanke, Brown and Ake (where the f**** was he?) by the way. All the noise from Mourinho of playing youth seems like hot air now. They won't get another opportunity till next season till they're eventually sent to some mediocre lower league team on some bad loan.