The Mourinho Thread

His decline, just like those before him is inevitable and a natural part of any sport. Only ferguson was able to maintain the incredible standard he set for him self over 2 decade till he retired (That's why He's the greatest manager of all time). Great managers almost always fall off and lose their mojo overtime. Wenger,ottmar hitzfeld, Van gaal,Capello, Hiddink,Trapattoni,et al.

I do believe he's still good enough to win league titles every now and then though but he's showing gradual signs of decline overall. it will take a few more years before he completey and inevitably lose his mojo

It's not so much a decline in ability but more that his methods have become dated. Football evolves; you either change with it or get left behind, and I feel that's happening with Mourinho to some extent. The Liverpool game was scandalous. No other top European team would go to Anfield and play as cowardly a game as we did - no other big team shows the same lack of ambition we did that night. And what's crazy is we have fans who think having 2 shots on goal is some sort of tactical masterclass. Tactically I've always thought he was a bit overrated to be honest; he does what many managers do but has had the advantage of having some of the best players in the world at his disposal.

And the thing is, adding to what Styles, is that we'll get lambasted for suggesting such a sacrilegious idea. Most associate Mourinho as the ultimate adapter, he can find a tactical solution to any opposition.. But they're becoming predictable and that's the worry. All big teams now understand how Mourinho sets out his team and the tactics he employs and that's already 60% of the battle won. Smaller teams know that we'll be on the attack and will occasionally forsake our defensive abilities. They know he'll continue to select Cahill and Ivanovic for example and that therefore we become vulnerable on the right-hand side. His truly greatest tactical masterclass was when he took an aging Inter Milan to get the necessary result over two-legs vs Barcelona.

I do see Mourinho calling it time on club management in about 5 years. He'll probably make on last move and then take the National position with Portugal. He'll probably bide his time until he's assured that Portugal have more than Cristiano to help them win Euros and World Cups.

It's not so much a decline in ability but more that his methods have become dated. Football evolves; you either change with it or get left behind, and I feel that's happening with Mourinho to some extent. The Liverpool game was scandalous. No other top European team would go to Anfield and play as cowardly a game as we did - no other big team shows the same lack of ambition we did that night. And what's crazy is we have fans who think having 2 shots on goal is some sort of tactical masterclass. Tactically I've always thought he was a bit overrated to be honest; he does what many managers do but has had the advantage of having some of the best players in the world at his disposal.

And similarly even Burnley showed more ambition at the Etihad than we did. In fact I can't think of a team who showed less (maybe Sunderland?).

He is starting to talk like robot.

Anyway, he says he did HIS job. Anybody who watched the game did he close down after 2:0 or did he play open till end? If thats so, do we have so bad defence and mentality that we cant keep such lead even against lower teams while playing more open?

It happend several times now; City, United, Totenham, Bradford, Liverpool; we were leading, but didnt win in end, bit worrying.

Absolutely agree with this. I also believe another reason he's struggling interwines with this point. The overall quality of defenders and defensive players at his disposal pales in comparison to the ones he use to have.

Cahill, Fabregas (too slow, weak defensively) Ivanovic, David Luiz, Mikel, Marcelo, Alonso (the same as fabregas), Ramos (erratic and lacks discipline) compare that to warriors like Samuel,Lucio, Zanetti,Cambiasso ,Motta, JT,Carvalho,Makelele,Essien, prime Gallas et al.

Those players at inter and Chelsea were better and more suited to his one dimensional defensive tactics.

He is starting to talk like robot.

Anyway, he says he did HIS job. Anybody who watched the game did he close down after 2:0 or did he play open till end? If thats so, do we have so bad defence and mentality that we cant keep such lead even against lower teams while playing more open?

It happend several times now; City, United, Totenham, Bradford, Liverpool; we were leading, but didnt win in end, bit worrying.

Clearly it has gotta do with the mental attitude, the concentration and discipline. The Bradford game today was a classic example of the players, arguably, switching off and not bothered to compete after going 2-0 up.

Clearly it has gotta do with the mental attitude, the concentration and discipline. The Bradford game today was a classic example of the players, arguably, switching off and not bothered to compete after going 2-0 up.

Yeah and that worries me because Mou is known to be good motivator.

Also we conceded 3 goals after Cesc, Willian and Hazard came on pitch.

Yeah and that worries me because Mou is known to be good motivator.

Also we conceded 3 goals after Cesc, Willian and Hazard came on pitch.

He is but he can't do everything by himself if the players out there on the pitch do not motivate themselves and stand up to be counted. Think we can all agree that there's a genuine concern about the lack of leaders in the team. Terry and Drogba aside, who else can we really consider to be a true leader? Those 2 aren't going to be around forever. If the others don't step up now, then I don't know when they will.

Respect to Jose for not hiding, but saying exactly what it was - an embarrassment, a failure by him and the players, and a special triumph for the smaller opposition. Shit happens, but I'm really pleased with how he finally assumes responsibility.

Yeah, it was good to hear it from him but I doubt it will happen after a bad performance in either the league or the CL. Surely he'll have some excuse then.

I've noticed and remarked upon our clear defensive woes even when we've won while lots of people like to pretend they're not there. I would love to be proven wrong and for Mourinho to sort out our issues with pressing and compactness but it hasn't happened yet and doesn't look like happening anytime soon. Still I am surprised we conceded 9 to Tottenham and Bradford. That is some achievement.

Yeah, I have to say you called the issues in the team a long while back. Back when not one match was lost. It's a shame you were right.

Still have faith in winning silverware though.

Disorganised/non-existent pressing + big gaps within midfield/between midfield and defence = allows opposition the ball in dangerous positions and closer to our box against individually weak defenders = more likely to concede.

We see the above in most games and the fact that Jose still hasn't fixed this suggests he's either happy with the defensive system we have in place or doesn't know how to change it. Instead of trying to limit the number of times the opposition get the ball in dangerous positions he seems to prefer to blame individuals when we concede from those positions (e.g. Schurrle v City). There is little defensive stability in the side except for when we park the bus - and that doesn't always go well as we saw at City away this season or away to Liverpool in the COC.

The bottom line is that we rely heavily on individuals for a good defence, notably Matic. And when those players have bad games or don't play then the limitations of the system are exposed.