The Mourinho Thread

This is what I think:

In the league he has to get all the points no matter what, hence take more risks to grab the goals. In knock-out competitions it seems we revert to "there's still the second leg" attitude and in the second leg we go "penalties are better than losing", thus both games are normally very cagey under Mourinho unless we really need to go for it when losing. We usually just look to nick a goal and hold it for our lives to avoid all the ET and peno bullshit. In the league we actually look to improve our goal difference, which isn't important in cups.

Yesterday my point was highlighted by the fact that he brought on Azpi for Willian with quite a lot of time left, that was the moment when I realized that Jose just wanted to take the away goal and run with it until we have the home advantage. Playing it safe, but the accompanying performance was horrible for some reason, not a hint of defensive control over the game. Shit needs to improve next game or we're in trouble. This kind of mentality can of course backfire when we play like crap, but it can actually turn out good more often than not imo.

Despite yesterday, I'm still confident, because I think there's no way the home leg will be a repeat of what we saw. We're a different animal at home and taking an away goal from Anfield isn't that bad - dont forget, we're still leading. Also, we must remember that cups are the only title hopes Liverpool have and they have extra motivation now for Gerrard to leave with some final silverware. So combine that logic with their habit of raising their game against us, and you get a Liverpool different from what we encounter in the league.

Spot on.

But to be honest, that performance gives me no confidence in the Champions League against big teams. We just can't defend as well as we did last season.

I am blaming this on the fact that a midfield of Matic-mikel-fabregas is too slow. If we try to defend any lead against any big champs lge team, we'll be in trouble unless ramires comes in for mikel or even Matic-ramires-oscar with two Brazilians providing proper energy we can recover and easily track fast runners.

If Mourinho wants to defend with a very slow midfield like we did against Liverpool, we won't even make it to the semi-final of the champs lge.

If we continue this way there's no way we are ever going to win the UCL and compete with the big biys unless we have another run of luck of historical proportions ala 2012. Play like that against better teams like bayern, Madrid, Barca,Atleti and they will fecking batter us.

I cannot recall a single game we have managed to control under Jose when the opposition have pressed us aggressively and higher up the pitch. We get shell shocked and panick whenever this happens and automatically turn to defensive tactics and completely surrender posession as a way of dealing with our inability to keep the ball well which more often than not ususally backfires against quality teams.

based on my observation our problem is largely due to our tendency to never build from the back against high pressing teams. Its extremely difficult to control the game and maintain posession when the GK excessively pumps long balls and your defenders hoof it all the time, all it does is give the ball back to the opposition. But I do understand why we don't because our GK's are not confident in their own ability and JT is the only ball playing CB we have and even his first instinct is to play it safe by hoofing it and such tactics will be suicidal with players like cahill and Zouma.

So how do we solve this problem without buying players?

Let's see how we play city before we start saying that we will get batter by teams like Bayern,real and such.

What I do agree is that mourinho ain't as fast with his sub like he used to be in the past.

He would spot the rising danger and will act fast.

I think it can be to two things. Either he's getting old and therefore that instinct of being precise and fast has slowed down.

Or our subs are not as good....

If we continue this way there's no way we are ever going to win the UCL and compete with the big biys unless we have another run of luck of historical proportions ala 2012. Play like that against better teams like bayern, Madrid, Barca,Atleti and they will fecking batter us.

I cannot recall a single game we have managed to control under Jose when the opposition have pressed us aggressively and higher up the pitch. We get shell shocked and panick whenever this happens and automatically turn to defensive tactics and completely surrender posession as a way of dealing with our inability to keep the ball well which more often than not ususally backfires against quality teams.

based on my observation our problem is largely due to our tendency to never build from the back against high pressing teams. Its extremely difficult to control the game and maintain posession when the GK excessively pumps long balls and your defenders hoof it all the time, all it does is give the ball back to the opposition. But I do understand why we don't because our GK's are not confident in their own ability and JT is the only ball playing CB we have and even his first instinct is to play it safe by hoofing it and such tactics will be suicidal with players like cahill and Zouma.

So how do we solve this problem without buying players?

When pressed we tend to kick it anywhere, randomly. If you watch other top teams' transitions from defence to attack their clearances very often reach a teammate in a good position and that's by design. We don't seem to have anything planned except for lump it anywhere and invite more pressure.

But by the same token think how many has he won...

2/8 in the CL which is the most important cup competition and where Jose's weaknesses comes into play most. It was absolutely tragic that we couldn't beat Liverpool in 05 with the side we had but even more tragic in 07 after going into the away leg with a 1-0 lead. I have no idea why he played for a 0-0 when one away goal would have ended the tie ffs. This is why I'm such a big fan of Simeone even though he has several detractors on here. He is very similar to Mourinho in that he is an excellent motivator and top class defensive manager (imo he is currently better because his side remains amazingly compact while still pressing brilliantly) but he is a lot braver than Jose in the biggest games. The way they dominated us at the Bridge was unreal. Lack of courage in the biggest games has been the one significant flaw in Jose's managerial career and Simeone doesn't appear to have that drawback.

When pressed we tend to kick it anywhere, randomly. If you watch other top teams' transitions from defence to attack their clearances very often reach a teammate in a good position and that's by design. We don't seem to have anything planned except for lump it anywhere and invite more pressure.

This is exactly what I was telling you before. Mourinho's weakness is we don't pass under pressure. Not that he doesn't know how to press, he's a master at that.

This is exactly what I was telling you before. Mourinho's weakness is we don't pass under pressure. Not that he doesn't know how to press, he's a master at that.

Both are issues. If he's a master at pressing why is our press so ofen bypassed (not just this game) and why did Liverpool have so much of the ball in dangerous positions and create at least 3-4 clear-cut chances? Effective pressing should keep them as far away from our goal as possible and limit their chances whilst also creating chances for us by turnovers high up the pitch. If Mourinho manages to set us up to press well, create chances, maintain defensive solidity and compactness in just one big away game this season I will retract my argument but for now I think he doesn't know how to do that.

He said: "It was a two-leg semi-final, now it's a one-leg semi-final. That says a lot.

"Two legs is difficult, Anfield is difficult and with this result we transform a two-leg semi-final into a one-leg semi-final at Stamford Bridge.

"If Stamford Bridge can give us 25 per cent of the emotion Anfield gives Liverpool, I think we can do it. Liverpool, instead of 40,000 fans, they will have five or 10 (thousand).

"Chelsea, instead of 1,000, will have 40,000. I hope that can make a difference in the atmosphere.

He said: "It was a two-leg semi-final, now it's a one-leg semi-final. That says a lot.

"Two legs is difficult, Anfield is difficult and with this result we transform a two-leg semi-final into a one-leg semi-final at Stamford Bridge.

"If Stamford Bridge can give us 25 per cent of the emotion Anfield gives Liverpool, I think we can do it. Liverpool, instead of 40,000 fans, they will have five or 10 (thousand).

"Chelsea, instead of 1,000, will have 40,000. I hope that can make a difference in the atmosphere.

I didn't see a great atmosphere at Anfield till they scored that goal.....

Let's see how we play city before we start saying that we will get batter by teams like Bayern,real and such. What I do agree is that mourinho ain't as fast with his sub like he used to be in the past. He would spot the rising danger and will act fast. I think it can be to two things. Either he's getting old and therefore that instinct of being precise and fast has slowed down. Or our subs are not as good....

I don't think anyone really expects us to get battered at home by any of those teams because that rarely happens (with the exception of last year's CL SF). We were definitely battered away to City though and our defensive stability away from home has been non existent.

I didn't see a great atmosphere at Anfield till they scored that goal.....

To be fair it was pretty damn good afterwards. Not heard them that loud for a long, long time. Guess it shows how much they hate Chelsea and how desperate they are to 'get Gerrard to Wembley'.

Mous conviction is that the Team with less mistake wins+ Teams who have more oft The ball make more mistakes. IMO that Philosophy is flawed. For Teams like barca, Bayern and teams containing cahill and brana the opposite is the case.

Not sure, but I think that he didn't want to use the subs yesterday because we have also Bradford this week and Liverpool on Tuesday. 1-1 isn't bad after all and probably he thought that we could keep this score without involving any other player that we want for Saturday (Ramires for example may not be currently that fit to play 30 min and then another 60 possibly after 4 days). Or maybe he was really slow to react indeed.

I think Jose approaches in big games are very intelligent.

In some games if we run risks and go out to attack directly, we run the risk that our opponent (with the force of their fans) make us a couple of quick goals and to sentence them the round.

What Jose does is eliminate the possibility that our opponent's attack like a gale, presenting us a slow match, without spaces and where we have the predominance of possession.

In matches posed in this way we get our opponent has virtually no chance to reach our case (the goal is an error of Cahill) and we generate more with spaces as we ought much because our players play with spaces more comfortable, and much more for counterattacks.

Jose waive the first 90 minutes of the round and he bets all to the match in The Puente. Maybe this is risky and conservative approach, but when these fighting for every trophy is practically impossible to play to win in every game. I think Jose does very pragmatic approach.

And besides, many people think in Guardiola's Barcelona, but they do a CATENACCIO but offensive. Guardiola and Mourinho pose mind games with much wear at the opponent. It is the same but raised differently. Guardiola desperate opponent with touch football and Mourinho desperate his rivals with an approach that frustrates them because they can not attack teams Jose.

The major parties are complicated and small details can remove you. It is a smarter approach than attractive. But what's really beautiful is to win trophies not only play well / spectacular. In May / June to be in big games that is the most beautiful.

If we play big games without humility maybe our opponents can break our face.

Regards to all.

What, a whole minute, not allowing for the extra 2?

It was only for a minute? I must have dozed off, I was practically half-sleeping half-covering my eyes by the end. I thought he came on at like 78th or around that.

He's won 3/7 CL SFs. I'm not at all saying that Mourinho is a bad manager. I'm saying that he has an overly negative approach towards certain big games, particularly SFs (and also that he hasn't sorted out our issues with pressing and compactness). Can a manager's flaws not be pointed out without his apologists resorting to patronising and sarcastic posts?

Jose is a results driven manager, he knows that if you make it hard for teams to break you down it increases the likelihood you will get the result. More often than not its proved to be successful but I don't think we have the team to soak up pressure anymore and Jose has to play to the strengths of the team.