• Remy
    • Costa (sub)
    • Ramires (sub)
    • Traore (sub)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consistent run of games for Baba in order to sharpen up his passing and we'll have ourselves an actual, proper fullback to replace Ivanovic.

After this result, 3 points against Arsenal at the weekend will be HUGE for morale and confidence. Would kickstart our season and get us back to where we should be.

Really hard to judge the win tonight given quality of opposition and we didn't play well either. That said, welcome the win and clean sheet.

Loftus-Cheek was definitely the MOTM. Ran the show from midfield and coped with the game extremely well after picking up that early YC. And also pleased to see 2 proper full backs playing in proper positions. Looked much more threatening in attack, especially on the left and think Hazard would have enjoyed/liked that.

I'm giving Baba MOTM

RLC a close second

Great debut under difficult circumstances

I really enjoyed tonight and wish it had come so much sooner

Yes the acid test is Saturday - but let's all bask in this win

I really hope the switch has flicked in José brain and this is the start of something good!

Roll on Le Arse

Really hard to judge the win tonight given quality of opposition and we didn't play well either. That said, welcome the win and clean sheet.

Loftus-Cheek was definitely the MOTM. Ran the show from midfield and coped with the game extremely well after picking up that early YC. And also pleased to see 2 proper full backs playing in proper positions. Looked much more threatening in attack, especially on the left and think Hazard would have enjoyed/liked that.

How can you say we did not play well either. Any team that qualifies for group stages ha sot have quality.

Also RLC has to be first choice every week

And here we go! Really nice to see us win again. Not the best match, but we can build up from here. Sad to see hazard go to the dressing room with no goals after the penalty.

Not much to say on Begovic. A couple of saves, but not much for him to do.

Azpi as great as always. Always a constant pressure on the opponent and filling the spaces when we needed. Looks pretty comfortable in his natural position.

Cahill surprised me with how solid he was. Did really well with the armband, and made really good tackles.

Zouma was solid as well. A couple of things I wasn´t really happy about, but it was a good performance for him.

Rahman finally solves our problem, giving us two fullbacks performing at the level we need them too. Made some mistakes which could have lead to some goals, but nice debut on his part.

RLC was fantastic. Despite the yellow card at the start of the match, he didn´t look fazed by it, and did his job accordingly, moving the ball forward and showing he can fight for a place in the starting line up despite his age.

Fabregas was mostly silent through the match. His assistance gave me a flashback to Magic Fabregas, and I hope he can build up from here. Nice to see him on the score sheet, something that will further build up his confidence.

Ramires didn´t see a lot of time, but it´s nice to see him back. I don´t have much to say about him. A shot that went wide and not much else.

Willian showed he can make a difference, and looked sharp on the short time he was in the pitch. A lucky goal, but it´s still something. Hope his injury is nothing serious. We have enough injuries as it is.

Oscar is back baby! He was, in my opinion, our main link from defense to attack alongside Ruben. Always looking for a free space to send the ball through, he played as if the injury had never happened. A Hazard style penalty to give us the second goal.

And talking about Hazard. Not good. It´s obvious the lack of confidence on our main man. Didn´t take on player as he used too, and many misplaced passes were damaging more and more his already low confidence. The penalty could have changed this, but instead of taking it cool as ice as he always has done, a strong shot over the bar took away his chance to get a goal. Hope he can regain his confidence.

Not much to say on Traore

Remy had a discreet, yet great game. Showing pace and movement, he had the defenders on their toes each time we moved forward. A shot that eventually led to Fabregas´ goal and some great runs to add. A solid performance.

Costa got on the score sheet once more, and what a way to do it. A volley to the top corner, great goal. His movement was good, and he did what he should be doing on the rest of the matches, focusing on the game and not fighting with the opponents. Again, hope he can build up from here.

This was by no means a fantastic performance from the team, as we were lucky to get out of the bridge with no goals conceded. The Special One finally answered the prayers of many of us, introducing changes to the squad. With this morale boost for us, and a morale hit to Arsenal from their defeat today, we can expect to see a good match this weekend.

Are the Blues back? Not sure, but we have shown today that we are not completely doomed as the media makes it seem.

The match cannot stand any criticism - Israelis too weak.

Hazard must be a psychological wreck. Their inexperienced keeper sold himself before the penalty was taken and then Hazard shot the ball at the roof of the stadium. I did n't like Costa's goal either - fluke. Willian's also fluke of course.

No progress to report today.

GET IN!!!

Man of the match must go to Loftus-Cheek from me. Absolutely beast of a game, was the main engine in our midfield and was all over the pitch in a good way. Azpilicueta makes such a big difference when played on the right, and it IS his natural position as I was convinced today yet again. Baba was nervous, quite sloppy at times. Felt he was holding himself back a bit, but I can see the potential in him when given consecutive games to bed in (please Jose). Overall gave a solid almost-no-nonsense performance and I am drooling over the possibilities opened up by his overlaps. Oscar was excellent too, kept the team ticking, but I can understand why he was subbed off. Costa, despite his goal, had a very sloppy game imo. Lost so much possession that it almost felt like a waste giving him the ball outside the box. But that finish was AMAZING and we had a glimpse of last season with Cesc assisting Costa. Fabregas I felt had a laborious game, looked tired with heavy feet, but in the end managed to grab an assist and a goal so big thanks to him and hopefully it will help him find joy in the game again. Remy did well, was unfortunate to have been forced to the right wing so early on, but worked his ass off and put in a great shift on both ends. Deserves to play more, I don't think I can find anybody who would argue that except for maybe one man.

For me, judging by this game and other players' form, I'd say that Oscar, Loftus-Cheek and Remy have earned the right to play a part against Arsenal. Cahill probably too. Baba I'm afraid wasn't impressive enough to threaten Ivanovic. Don't get me wrong, for me he was miles better than Ivanovic and I would start him any day, but I think that one bad backpass and the few overhit crosses were enough to put a smile on Brana's face. Hopefully not, let's see.

Hazard must be a psychological wreck. Their inexperienced keeper sold himself before the penalty was taken and then Hazard shot the ball at the roof of the stadium. I did n't like Costa's goal either - fluke. Willian's also fluke of course.

Cheer up mate :)

How can you say we did not play well either. Any team that qualifies for group stages ha sot have quality.

I'm sorry but that reason is a bit cliche. Sure, some of these lesser sides can cause the odd shock here and there but they are mostly poor, especially when they don't really have to beat strong teams to get into the group stage.

The confidence from the win is invaluable and incredibly needed.

That said we can't really take anything away from the game because the opposition were just so poor. No offense to Maccabi who absolutely earned this in the qualifications but they are NOT UCL level by any stretch of the imagination.

Our performance itself was not great. We still looked way too slow and often out of ideas and had to rather rely on Maccabi mistakes (which were luckily plentiful). But some players did look more determined and certainly grew in confidence as the game went by. In particular, Azpi, Oscar, Costa and Garry Cahill who put in a real captain's performance and was my MOTM.

RLC had a great game as well and really ran the midfield. Can honestly say he was better than Matic has been so far this season but that said I expect Nemanja back in the side vs Arsenal at the weekend.

But I thought Baba was average at best. Not sure where the praise he's getting comes from. Well, actually I'm sure that it comes from the desire to see Iva benched. Why we did not go out and get a fullback who is actually starting XI material I will never know.

Finally Hazard, just bench him for his own good. He's ripping apart his own confidence with his poor form. Bench him for a couple of games, take the pressure off and then bring him in a low-pressure match.

Who cares about how the goals were scored.Fluke or not the intention is there to score. Take em anway we can!

Not going to get too complacent as it was against a really awful team but wow how refreshing to watch. Having two natural FB for a long time. When was the last time we had both a natural LB and RB playing. Even when Luis started last season, Ivanovic was at RB, not Azpi. Good to see Fabregas improved second half. Hopefully the assist and goal for him and the goal for Costa does them a well of good. Hazard frustrated me again. He was not up for it in the first half then in the last half hour or so like we saw against Swansea and other games, it is then when he gets a kick up the backside and starts to perform like we want/expect him to. I wish he would have that drive he had in the last half hour in every game. Just does not seem himself. I know eventually he will get back to his best but I want it over the 90 mins every game.

Biggest compliment goes to RLC. WOW. What a performance. For a 19 year old kid who got stick in pre-season and to come in to a team that is under huge scrutiny and put in a performance like that. Just excellent. Even though he was set as a DM it was a typical Yaya Toure at his best performance he put in. When he ran with the ball he was excellent. Comfortable in possession and the way he utilised his strength was amazing. I would have him in the team for Arsenal 100%. No doubt about it. Fabregas will start and to be effective, I would rather he be alongside two beasts in Matic and RLC.

Willian was fanatstic before he went off. Hopefully he is fine. Great performance and look this week we can laugh at all the other British clubs. All of them lost 2-1 while we were the only winners. Bring on Arsenal :blue scalf:

I don't think we need be very excited. We beat Maccabi weakest CL team. And i think to praise a players is way too fast. But still i see a progress. Lets just wait and see. Next game against loosers. Baba and RLC must start.

Baba was really poor in first half, that propably means Ivanovic starting on saturday.

To me Remy now is better than Costa and miles ahaed of Falcao. Costa looses so many balls, its awful. His one on one dribbling skills looks Torres-esque.

Fabregas was average at best, unfortunately his assist and great goal by Costa means both of them will start on saturday.

I don't think we need be very excited. We beat Maccabi weakest CL team. And i think to praise a players is way too fast. But still i see a progress. Lets just wait and see. Next game against loosers. Baba and RLC must start.

over riding emotion is one of relief . they were poor but I thought this was the best we have been so far. A tiny step on the road to recovery , Weekend is massive

Not a 3 pointer or even a 6 pointer but possibly a defining moment for the next 3 months