pHaRaOn

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absurdity.

Like I said our board and Mourinho was only good for one season.

One season don't make or break the image of anything, is consistency over many years.

Last year and then this year just show they are all a bunch of hit and miss. Mourinho the board and all.

Not the greatest mind of transfer like say Atletico or even Porto that keep bringing good names year after year.

Lol Porto.... Who sign everyone on a third party deal. You have no idea what you're talking about. When you get to a certain level you either go big and bring in players to better your xi or you strengthen your bench by adding players who will start elsewhere and don't mind playing a bench role because they're well taken care of financially. Chelsea don't have the type of club who can sign big name players to sit them on the bench. The closest we have to that is Falcao on loan. Everyone else is either a bargain or a project.

We tried to go big and couldn't sign the player we wanted. If the club doesn't want to sell there is little you can do...

Last year I played an auction draft for Ligue1 with friends.

We were 7 and all know the league very well.

At the end of the draft, i had no money left, and needed a CB.

So I took Djibolodji for one euro, I know him pretty well.

He's exactly the kind of CB that L1 produce a lot. No technics, very strong physically.

Don't look at Nantes defensive stats, it doesn't mean their CB are good.

In L1 it depends on the style of the team and Nantes has a very defensive style.

With L1 lacking of very good stricker, if you play this style, you won't have a lot of goals against you.

No technical ability?

Like Mou cares, he would field a starting squad of bodybuilders if he could lol,

Why do we have to look outwards for a squad player though? If we're not going to buy a player that'll at least challenge the starting CBs then what's the point? Why did we loan out Omeruo, or Kalas who could've provided that squad depth? Why don't we just demote Ivanovic to 4th choice CB? Chalobah? It doesn't make much sense to me tbh.

I don't think it's as black and white as saying Nkoulou and no Stones next summer or Djilo and Stones next summer either. We need to sign good players that can step in at any given time and ones that can actually challenge their team mates to a starting spot. Nkoulou has 1 year left, he'd be cheap. He comes in and directly threatens our starting CBs and would provide excellent cover alongside with Zouma. Long term wise - JT, Cahill and Ivanovic are all over 30. Signing Stones and maybe shifting someone like Ivanovic out next season whilst keeping Zouma and Nkoulou? Proper depth.

So, this season we go with Ivanovic, Nkoulou, JT, Cahill, Zouma, Azpi, Baba. Next year we go with Stones, Zouma, Nkoulou, an older JT, an older Cahill, Azpi and Baba. Looks good to me.

I feel like your argument is based on the assumption that this signing is a panic buy; barely scouted and a poor player. It does not have to be black and white here either, it could just be that he fits the profile of a back-up perfectly, not amazing but reliable when called upon.

Also, I am in the group of people who thinks Kalas, Omeruo and Christensen wont make it big, neither here nor in another club. If we had a better prospect then I would be all for an internal solution.

These cheap players didnt turn out so bad :)

12m Zouma, 7m Cahill, 7m Cesar, 8m Remy, 9.5m Ivan

As we have seen with Salah and Cudders and many others (torres anyone?) price tag does not always equate with success :D

All have medals, more so than City's Mangala 40m, then theres our "failures" like Salah, Cudders and Schurrie against Man City failures

lvaro Negredo £20,600,000
Stevan Jovetic £25,800,000
Wilfried Bony £28,000,000 (still there but not done much so far)

if he tries hard he can be anything he wants to be (see Kane). who knows how he'll play for a club like ours. he'll certainly be more motivated.

Trying hard and being motivated is well and good, but will he ever even play if all of our CB's are fit? Can't see a £2.7m player from a small, shit club just coming in and taking Cahill, JT, or Zouma's spots.