Kenedy

the wes

Intermediary Eduardo Valdes has confirmed that Chelsea and Juventus are interested in Fluminense forward Kenedy.

The 19 year-old broke into the Flu first-team in 2013 and with his stock continuing to increase with some strong showings with Brazil’s under-20 side, Valdes believes a number of teams want to sign him.

“In the Under 20 World Cup we saw a new start in Kenedy, half of Europe is following him,” he said, in an interview respected Sky Sport Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio’s website.

“As of today I can say Juve is interested but Fluminese asked for a lot: €12/13 million. There was a contact with Chelsea, through Deco, now his agent, it was a timid approach, not a formal offer.”

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/70202__.html?

• 3 weeks later...

Is he any good?

I think it's a great mistake to decide you like a player based on viewing YouTube videos but I do think that you can sometimes see enough there to give you an interest in the player and to encourage you to investigate a bit more. This is not one of those times.

Based on what I've watched I've no interest in Chelsea signing this bloke. Physically good, technically ordinary. Lukaku lite. The original is not good enough for Chelsea and this version isn't either. Best we can hope for is a loan or two and then a profit from his sale. If Kenedy is happy to boast his earnings for a while as that process plays out then fair enough, I don't blame him*. I see absolutely prospect of this lad helping Chelsea progress on the pitch however.

*In fact I wouldn't blame him, or anyone else, at all for taking the money. Many commentators talk a lot of sanctimonious claptrap on this subject. They speak as if football is all that matters and want 19 year olds to turn down life changing contracts. If the kid is good enough his talent will see him through, if he isn't then he's banked a wad of cash with which he can kick start the rest of his life.

Throw in the fact that if a young man fails at a high profile club he will usually find a second chance elsewhere, and the decision to accept such a move is an absolute no brainer in my opinion. These rent-a-gobs forget that most kids are not going to have stellar careers anyway. They want lads to trade winning lottery tickets for a pocket full of hope.

I think it's a great mistake to decide you like a player based on viewing YouTube videos but I do think that you can sometimes see enough there to encourage you to feel that you'd like to investigate a bit more. This is not one of those times.

Based on what I've watched I've no interest in Chelsea signing this bloke. Physically good, technically ordinary. Lukaku lite. The original is not good enough for Chelsea and this version isn't either. Best we can hope for is a loan or two and then a profit from his sale. If Kenedy is happy to boast his earnings for a while as that process plays out then fair enough, I don't blame him* but I see absolutely prospect of this lad helping Chelsea progress by what he does on the pitch.

*In fact I wouldn't blame him, or anyone else, at all for taking the money. Many commentators talk a lot of sanctimonious claptrap on this subject. They talk as if football is all there is to life and want 19 year olds to turn down life changing contracts. If the kid is good enough his talent will see him through, if he isn't then he's banked a wad of cash with which he can kick start the rest of his life. Absolute no brainer in my opinion.

What are you talking about? first off his technique is fabulous! Not Hazardesque but DEFINITELY NOT Lukaku!! He doesn't play striker he is a right sided AM with goalscoring potential.

I for one haven't seen enough to comment but depending on the fee I'd be interested in him. Seems like an intriguing prospect who can potentially develop into a fantastic player... at 19 I seriously doubt we'd be looking at him to feature for us right away but clearly his skill make him a worthy investment.

Bought him once on FM for 8 million. He went on to play 10 matches in 1 season for me, scoring one wonder goal and 2 others. Sold him the next summer to Wolfsburg for 32 million. Profit.

lol I have him on my Milan team, he's a legendary winger now at about 31 years of age.

What are you talking about? first off his technique is fabulous! Not Hazardesque but DEFINITELY NOT Lukaku!! He doesn't play striker he is a right sided AM with goalscoring potential.

I for one haven't seen enough to comment but depending on the fee I'd be interested in him. Seems like an intriguing prospect who can potentially develop into a fantastic player... at 19 I seriously doubt we'd be looking at him to feature for us right away but clearly his skill make him a worthy investment.

Thanks CL11. You sound as if you may have seen more of him than I have so of course I respect that.

I reiterate the opinion however that in the YouTubes I've seen his technique definitely looks limited. He is very one footed, shows no sign of that special balance that gifted players have, the way he addresses the ball is not 'clean' and on several occasions he beats his man because of a miss control rather than any positive movement. Nor am I impressed with his ducking in and shooting, even the ones that went in. To me those looked like the hallmark of a player who takes that option because he lacks the talent to do anything else. Remember, most of the time those shots will lead to nothing more than lost opportunity and lost possession.

Look closely at those situations and ask yourself if this had has enough control over body, has the poise and the balance to do anything else there? My answer is no he does not yet I know that 49 times out of 50 he is going to need to do something else from there. Factor in that someone has selected those moments as examples of this lad at his best and I repeat, I am seriously unimpressed by what I've seen.

Edit: I've now watched the video linked above, which was not one of the ones I viewed earlier. There are three impressive moments there; the pass at about 1:03, the finish at about 1:50 and another pass, the time of which I didn't note. Still not excited by this lad though.

Thanks CL11. You sound as if you may have seen more of him than I have so of course I respect that.

I reiterate the opinion however that in the YouTubes I've seen his technique definitely looks limited. He is very one footed, shows no sign of that special balance that gifted players have, the way he addresses the ball is not 'clean' and on several occasions he beats his man because of a miss control rather than any positive movement. Nor am I impressed with his ducking in and shooting, even the ones that went in. To me those looked like the hallmark of a player who takes that option because he lacks the talent to do anything else. Remember, most of the time those shots will lead to nothing more than lost opportunity and lost possession.

Look closely at those situations and ask yourself if this had has enough control over body, has the poise and the balance to do anything else there? My answer is no he does not yet I know that 49 times out of 50 he is going to need to do something else from there. Factor in that someone has selected those moments as examples of this lad at his best and I repeat, I am seriously unimpressed by what I've seen.

Edit: I've now watched the video linked above, which was not one of the ones I viewed earlier. There are three impressive moments there; the pass at about 1:03, the finish at about 1:50 and another pass, the time of which I didn't note. Still not excited by this lad though.

He's decent. We won't pay over the odds to get him, he's another one to watch that we'll have under contract. I'm not disappointed.

Shed some light, please. Where does he play, how, reported fee, can he break in the 1st team or is he another, buy now (cheap) sell later ( better price)?

He plays for Fluminense in Brazil. The deal looks like its around £6m. He'll be nowhere near the first team, he'll likely be loaned out and if he shows serious promise brought back into the squad.

He just fits with our recent policy of buying players cheap and selling them for more whilst they're on loan.

• 1 month later...