Pedro Rodríguez

Pacquiao

It's truly ridiculous that some posters are whining about buying players who are Barca/Real/Bayern 'rejects', all the while demanding some flashy, big-name, big-money signing without even knowing for sure if such a player is genuinely available or even able to improve the team outright.

Look at what Mourinho did with Inter in the 2009/10 season: he made a brilliant, wonderfully balanced, versatile TEAM using all manner of 'rejects' from various 'bigger'/'better' clubs. Sneijder, Samuel and Cambiasso were Real Madrid 'rejects', Eto'o and Motta had both previously been at Barcelona, whilst Lucio was viewed as something of a joke at the time of his sale by Bayern. This virtual army of 'rejects' was then complemented by good/very good (but mostly unspectacular) 'system' players such as Goran Pandev, and went on to win everything in sight. Prior to that season, the only players in the team viewed as being genuine 'big names'/'world-class players' were Eto'o, Zanetti, and maybe Sneijder.

NAMES and HYPE do not always matter when it comes to winning trophies (although they CAN be very useful at times); what DOES always matter is having a well-balanced team consisting of players that complement each other well and are capable of following the manager's instructions. This is not some great insight on my part, but I still feel the need to post it, as it seems that many of you are being blinded by the Real Madrid-style idea of 'star-power'. Our team has enough 'stars', anyway (Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Terry, Courtois, maybe Matic); what it is currently lacking is genuine balance. Both Oscar and Willian are very good 'system' players, but I do not believe that we can improve our performance in the CL with BOTH players in the starting line-up. We need another goal-scorer in the AM to allow for more variation in out attacking play, but that goal-scorer does not necessarily HAVE to be a 'big name', merely someone who will get the job done; I don't know if we are actually in for Pedro, but I DO think that he has the attributes required to do this for us.

Those were all brilliant signings and all players that I do really rate, but I just don't feel the same about Pedro. For me it's not about him being a supposed Barcelona reject, I just don't think he's good enough to elevate us to the next level.

Don't get me wrong, decent player, but he's not going to tie up the right hand side for us for the foreseeable future.

But why never above 20 goals again since 11-12? Not to point that he will be 28 years old by the end of July.

For me if Chelsea can't secure a world class winger this summer, better spend another 20-25m money for another position.

If I'm not wrong Jose said something like "We want a top striker but he is not availabe this time, next summer you will understand why" when people asked why he not signed a striker but instead signed Matic. 5 months later Diego Costa signed.

Chelsea winger depth already deep, no need add another decent winger.

Just my opinion,

Barcelona was always looking for a complete star of a player in his position: one who can dribble, who can score goals, creates chances for themselves etc.. Pedro was always known for his ability to score goals, this has not changed, but he was never a great individual player. Pedro relies on his team mates while Barca wanted more players like Messi who can decide a match with their own individual action.

That's why they signed Alexis and Neymar, (not sure why they thought Alexis was not good enough) and later Suarez. All 3 MSN players can create chances for others and for themselves, can dribble past 4-5 players and score goals. So that's why he wasn't starting as many matches as before.

But this doesn't mean Pedro is not a good player, he is a limited player but very useful and superb at what he does: scoring goals. He would be like an improved version of Schurrle for us.

Just my opinion,

Barcelona was always looking for a complete star of a player in his position: one who can dribble, who can score goals, creates chances for themselves etc.. Pedro was always known for his ability to score goals, this has not changed, but he was never a great individual player. Pedro relies on his team mates while Barca wanted more players like Messi who can decide a match with their own individual action.

That's why they signed Alexis and Neymar, (not sure why they thought Alexis was not good enough) and later Suarez. All 3 MSN players can create chances for others and for themselves, can dribble past 4-5 players and score goals.

But this doesn't mean Pedro is not a good player, he is a limited player but very useful and superb at what he does: scoring goals. He would be like an improved version of Schurrle for us.

This is exactly my point. Pedro was never established in the Barca XI, they were always looking to improve on him. Why? Because there are better players out there.

There will be better players coming up as well. Pedro would just be a stop-gap signing.

Just my opinion,

That's why they signed Alexis and Neymar, (not sure why they thought Alexis was not good enough) and later Suarez. All 3 MSN players can create chances for others and for themselves, can dribble past 4-5 players and score goals. So that's why he wasn't starting as many matches as before.

That's why Chelsea need to buy another "Matic" and "Costa" type player, not another "Schurlle" or "Cuadrado" player, who maybe will be gone the next 1-2 season.

Heck I'm very happy if Chelsea signed Sanchez last year. Pedro still playing for Barca because they need backup player. Sanchez is too good to be a backup player, Barca sold him only because they got Suarez.

I'm not saying Pedro is a bad player. My point is Pedro will not be a massive improvement to Cuadrado.

Maybe he's 5M cheaper, but 1 year older and his league goal record past 4 years almost identical to Cuadrado.

I agree with both of you 2.

This is exactly my point. Pedro was never established in the Barca XI, they were always looking to improve on him. Why? Because there are better players out there.

There will be better players coming up as well. Pedro would just be a stop-gap signing.

That's why Chelsea need to buy another "Matic" and "Costa" type player, not another "Schurlle" or "Cuadrado" player, who maybe will be gone the next 1-2 season.

Heck I'm very happy if Chelsea signed Sanchez last year. Pedro still playing for Barca because they need backup player. Sanchez is too good to be a backup player, Barca sold him only because they got Suarez.

I'm not saying Pedro is a bad player. My point is Pedro will not be a massive improvement to Cuadrado.

Maybe he's 5M cheaper, but 1 year older and his league goal record past 4 years almost identical to Cuadrado.

Yes, I am not super excited with Pedro but this stop gap signing is better than not signing anyone because he offers something we don't have: another goal scoring AM.

Willian, Cuadrado, Oscar are not clinical enough in front of goal. Remy might be leaving and won't start as a winger, Falcao maybe but don't think Mou will start with 2 strikers. Hazard and Costa are the only goal scorers in any starting line up, (if you don't count Ivanovic) and that's not enough. We need at least 3 to be a contender for all comps.

Pedro does not have to start every match, but if he does start, you know you have another dangerous man in the box, that's something we're lacking since we sold Schurrle.

Yes, I am not super excited with Pedro but this stop gap signing is better than not signing anyone because he offers something we don't have: another goal scoring AM.

Willian, Cuadrado, Oscar are not clinical enough in front of goal. Remy might be leaving and won't start as a winger, Falcao maybe but don't think Mou will start with 2 strikers. Hazard and Costa are the only goal scorers in any starting line up, (if you don't count Ivanovic) and that's not enough. We need at least 3 to be a contender for all comps.

Pedro does not have to start every match, but if he does start, you know you have another dangerous man in the box, that's something we're lacking since we sold Schurrle.

We should've never sold Schurrle for Cuadrado tbh. :(

For that purpose I'm gladly to give Cuadrado the chance, at least until January.

Signing Pedro is not urgency like Costa-Remy last summer when Chelsea only have Torres as main striker.

Even if Pedro gone by August to another club, there still another alternative for that kind of player.

We should've never sold Schurrle for Cuadrado tbh. :(

That's why Chelsea need to cut this Schurrle->Cuadrado->Pedro(?) kind-of-transfer and wait or spend money for a really top/world class player the moment he available.

Honestly if we get Pedro we will walk the league again. Hazard, Costa and Pedro would generate enough goals, Mou is worth 10 points alone and whole team is getting more experienced with each year spending together. And neither team can make some great team work straight away after buying xx players. Given that City has Pellegrini and United Van Gaal, it will take some time for them to get the chemistry needed.

But our CL run is another story...even with Pedro, we wont be able to dominate midfield, Cesc will probably hide in key moments, Matic will be tired, no proper bench options. Same old same old. And the way we approached in games past two years (psg last year, atletico before, even psg that year, we had plenty of luck Ba scoring in final minutes), we wont make it anyway. Unless 2012 miracle repeats, which I doubt.

Honestly if we get Pedro we will walk the league again. Hazard, Costa and Pedro would generate enough goals, Mou is worth 10 points alone and whole team is getting more experienced with each year spending together. And neither team can make some great team work straight away after buying xx players. Given that City has Pellegrini and United Van Gaal, it will take some time for them to get the chemistry needed.

I think you're underestimating the opposition greatly.

I kind of agree with him. Don't think we'll walk the league but I think we'll win it without anyone questioning whether we deserved it or not. Maybe by 5-6 points or something like that.

Without any top class signings I think we'd still struggle against the best 3-4 sides in Europe.

Thought I was the only one. It's a trend around here, a lot of people are underestimating City, United and Arsenal, who will continue to spend and get players in this improving their squads.

I kind of agree with him. Don't think we'll walk the league but I think we'll win it without anyone questioning whether we deserved it or not. Maybe by 5-6 points or something like that.

Without any top class signings I think we'd still struggle against the best 3-4 sides in Europe.

Nothing I've seen so far would lead me to suggest we'll walk the league. We don't even know how some of our players will respond to having a target on their backs. Repeating is easily the hardest thing to do in sports and the opposition will be a lot tougher and more determined to knock us off. Adding Pedro doesn't put the fear of God into anyone... If we get him I won't be disappointed but walking the league is a bit too presumptuous.

Nothing I've seen so far would lead me to suggest we'll walk the league. We don't even know how some of our players will respond to having a target on their backs. Repeating is easily the hardest thing to do in sports and the opposition will be a lot tougher and more determined to knock us off. Adding Pedro doesn't put the fear of God into anyone... If we get him I won't be disappointed but walking the league is a bit too presumptuous.

...which is why I said I don't think we'll walk it. :lol:

So I don't really know what portion of what he wrote you are in agreement with

I said I "kind of" agree with him. I think we'll win it but I don't think we'll win it with a large gap between us and the rest of the top 4.

There may be only a few points separating the top few sides like in José's first season back two years ago.