Pedro Rodríguez

Pacquiao

I'm certain it doesn't just come down to paying him more.

there will be a lot more things, but i am pretty sure, barca will get what they want. also, i am pretty sure, they would not want to sell pedro until jan. so honestly, i dont have any hope for this right now.

This vid below shows some of Pedro's 'highlights' from 2014 (possibly the worst calendar year of his career so far). I think there's plenty here to suggest he could be very useful for us, and not just because he can score goals from the AM positions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRgxEKERums

Firstly I never once suggested he couldn't be useful to us. Anyone who can finish off moves with goals is an asset to our club. My point of contention is I don't think he makes us a hell of a lot better than we currently are.

And while the vids can definitely be used to support ones claim, its not the only reliable source of info. Stats also show limited amounts of info as well but since you have a video to support your claim I will come with stats... We'll probably end up somewhere in the middle when this is all said and done, assuming you're not as stubborn as some here.

The season you highlighted was 2013-14 in which his OPTA stats on some of the things we are talking about

in 37 games that year Pedro averaged

0.6 accurate crosses and 1.5 inaccurate crosses a game.

His key pass average was 1 per game and of that, 0.2 came from the cross and 0.1 came via through ball... 0.7 was categorized as other(granted he was often a finisher so those numbers are not the best representation)

None of his assists came via cross or through ball that season.

As an asset to us, for me, it will be finishing off chances not creating them or providing width for the team to operate in the middle. He doesn't have the capabilities to dribble past people with a high level of success as the 1.5 unsuccessful and 1 successful dribble per game would illustrate.

Thank you. It's truly outstanding how people are saying Pedro would be the better winger for us to sign. I can't believe it tbh.

If both are available it's a no brainer really. Reus is a class above Pedro.

Reus is surely better now. But for some reason no one is going after him in the market, so pedro is the next best option imo.

Firstly I never once suggested he couldn't be useful to us. Anyone who can finish off moves with goals is an asset to our club. My point of contention is I don't think he makes us a hell of a lot better than we currently are.

And while the vids can definitely be used to support ones claim, its not the only reliable source of info. Stats also show limited amounts of info as well but since you have a video to support your claim I will come with stats... We'll probably end up somewhere in the middle when this is all said and done, assuming you're not as stubborn as some here.

The season you highlighted was 2013-14 in which his OPTA stats on some of the things we are talking about

His key pass average was 1 per game and of that, 0.2 came from the cross and 0.1 came via through ball... 0.7 was categorized as other(granted he was often a finisher so those numbers are not the best representation)

As an asset to us, for me, it will be finishing off chances not creating them or providing width for the team to operate in the middle. He doesn't have the capabilities to dribble past people with a high level of success as the 1.5 unsuccessful and 1 successful dribble per game would illustrate.

You are right those stats look alarming, thanks for digging them out. But when one actually has seen him play, one knows that he can easily get past a player, play an accurate cross or a perfectly weighted through-ball when he wants to. But we have to understand the way Barcelona played that season. Instead of pumping crosses and through balls into the danger zone they passed the ball around until there is an opening. Pedro will be seldom the one to play that final ball then because he is the one creating the space with his runs and finishing them. Still he is obviously technically well rounded enough and has enough intelligence to play those passes and crosses when he is in the position. The point is, he is not bought to be a provider. We got Fabregas, Hazard, Willian and maybe soon Aranguiz for this. Thankfully MOurinho has spotted the lack of scorers in this team and hence we want Pedro. But obviously it is not only his finishing prowess we signed him for. We could just play Remy on the wing then who is an even better finisher and probably faster as well. But pedro is a better passer, dribbler, experienced on the biggest stage, a match proven winner and a very decent all-round footballer.

If he fits the squad, when we have 4 senior wingers + Bertrand traore already + Remy who can play there is another question. Also whether he can quickly adapt to the prem is not certain. But what he adds is not another dimension to our play but simply attributes that have been missing with most of our wingers. Maybe, just maybe he buys us exactly the amount of time we need to establish a youth player on the right wing.

On the other hand of course, with this transfer we do what we started with signing schürrle, Salah, Willian, Cuadrado. Throwing between 20 and 35m at the rw andhope we land a hit once. This is a costly gamble which proved hugely ineffective so far. We got enough depth in those position why not stick with what we got? I am sure one of Traore, Cuadrado, Oscar or Willian will come good at once. Nonetheless Pedro is a good player, decent signing. Just not sure if our strategy is the right one.

Rather get him than Sterling. For less than half the price? Fuck yes.

Rather a 20 years old who can become world class or a 28 years old who will only get worse and is not even an improvement on the right side. Feels like an easy decision.

they already had a place in squad last season. they have been promised NOTHING new.

barca have MSN, rakitic, iniesta, biscuits and pedro as their ONLY options for front 6. selling pedro would be idiotic to say the least.

LOL, if only things were as simple as that. they are barca, they ll pay pedro 2-3mil extra if they have to keep him.

i dont think you know how a release clause works

Didn't this guy sign a new contract one month ago? Why the feck would we trigger his release clause to get him out of there when the idiot signed a new contract on purpose.

Didn't this guy sign a new contract one month ago? Why the feck would we trigger his release clause to get him out of there when the idiot signed a new contract on purpose.

His release clause moved from 150 to 30M so that's why he signed a new contract

Vids and stats are only of limited use when judging a player, as you've already acknowledged above. Head off to Pedro's thread on the main Barca forum, though, and you'll find a number of posts over the last few pages praising his link-up play in the final third etc. Most of those people have watched him for years, and know all of his strengths and weaknesses.

Ultimately, whilst I DO think that there are other players out there who may be capable of allowing the team to improve massively (Reus, Bale, maybe Isco etc), these players appear to be unavailable to us at this time, and so it seems that we shall either have to go for players like Pedro, or otherwise simply purchase no further attacking players at all.

Pedro is technically gifted, a good short passer, a decent (but not brilliant) dribbler, and a fairly reliable goal-scorer with intelligent off-the-ball movement. Add to that the fact that he's a pretty fast player who is capable of using his speed effectively, and I think he could serve us (very) well as the 'goal-scoring AM/RM' that we've been hoping for. Schurrle and Cuadrado haven't worked out for us due to their relatively average levels of technique and passing ability, whilst Willian possesses the technique required but fails to be a consistent attacking threat for us on the right; Pedro could potentially offer us a blend of their various qualities/abilities when playing on the right, and so provide us with genuine balance across the AM positions.

dude, why do you think only you know how the world works? apparently everyone else is just playing fifa or is clueless. get off your high horse.

if we trigger the buyout clause, the ball is in pedro's court. a barcelona youth player who has spent his life there. why do you think they would have made him sign a contract which made his buyout reduce from 150mil euros (apparently) to 30mil euros (again apparently). you think barca would not have made sure that they are covered in every which way? this is a team that is buying players in a transfer ban and has done every shady thing possible when related to transfer. if they want to keep pedro (which i think should be obvious) they will end up keeping him.

dude, why do you think only you know how the world works? apparently everyone else is just playing fifa or is clueless. get off your high horse.

if we trigger the buyout clause, the ball is in pedro's court. a barcelona youth player who has spent his life there. why do you think they would have made him sign a contract which made his buyout reduce from 150mil euros (apparently) to 30mil euros (again apparently). you think barca would not have made sure that they are covered in every which way? this is a team that is buying players in a transfer ban and has done every shady thing possible when related to transfer. if they want to keep pedro (which i think should be obvious) they will end up keeping him.

May the football lords hear you.