Stefan di Vrij

OneMoSalah

Possible alternative to Stones?

Dutch CB at Lazio, 23 years old, 28 caps for Holland was at the 2014 World Cup. Seen him in the World Cup and thought he was good (well the whole Dutch team was surprisingly better than we probably all expected), surprised he went to Lazio and not United with LvG like most people the other year.

Good in possession, reads the game well, for his age someone quite a lot of experience and also was captain at Feyenoord for a bit but was then stripped of it due to poor form.

I watched the Lazio-Leverkusen game and also the Lazio-Juventus game where they lost the final (which was expected Juventus are a class above most teams in Italy)... but against Leverkusen he looked very very solid and looked to play forward when he could when they were building from deeper, at times when he was under pressure too, he could be an alternative to Stones who many believe we are wanting due to his potential, distribution and age, I'm not sure if he is as quick across the ground as Stones is but he is undoubtedly a good CB, just as good if not better (there are actually a fair amount of CBs out there we could go after instead of Stones for the money mentioned).

Obviously we haven't been linked with him and it is more than likely he will stay in Italy but he is good enough to play in England, only a matter of time before he makes the move, still surprised United haven't been linked with him at all this summer.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality player.

I think if he played anywhere that wasn't Italy people would also think the same but I personally feel he is just as good as Stones if not better. If he were English and playing in the PL he'd be rated at 30-40M too.. don't see the whole Stones wankfest, he's a decent English prospect but personally I think we should of looked elsewhere as soon as they turned down the 24 or 26M bid. There are so many CBs out there, it baffles me we are constantly trying to get Stones without actually having a plan B by the sounds of it incase Everton don't sell.

I don`t think Jose sees CB as being a position we have to get someone in at. it`s more about him seeing Stones as a player who will be a key member of the team in the future with the added bonus of being able to compete now rather than what position he plays.

like they say during the NFL draft..good teams don`t draft the position they draft the player.

• 11 months later...

#Chelsea have turned their attention to Lazio defender Stefan de Vrij after failing to complete a deal for Kalidou Koulibaly. [Mirror]

Lazio will offload De Vrij for around £15million – and that presents better value than Koulibaly, who is also wanted by Everton. [Mirror]

I honestly forgot about him. I would like to say that he's quality from what I've seen, albeit what I've seen is not so much as to form a correct opinion. Didn't he have an injury the past season?

He looks like a solid defender with good range of passing. These are exact defenders that we need. I'm honestly not worried about central back position as much. Koulibaly would be really nice, but if we need to pay 60 mil for him, I don't think he is needed. We can get a cheaper option like de Vrij and I'm sure he would be really good under Conte. If a player fits the system he can be much better than he really is.

He is Dutch Gary Cahill. Good enough for Lazio but I don't see him capable of playing at a top club. If our options are really down to this, then why not cancel Christensen's loan and bring him back?

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You