Baba Rahman

Not quite. We still have to sign the one player you dread most...

:)

hahahha... no dude. i dont dread or dislike stones. he is a good player. but he is not what we want. 30+mil backup when we can buy witsel for 22? its just frustrating.

Jose doesn't like his full backs to go to far forward, says it exposes the centre backs to much, Ashly Cole said when he joined chelsea jose told him dont get caught up field. Cole never got forward as much as he did at Arsenal until Jose left.

Lol WUT. He's coached Maicon & Marcelo two of the most offensive minded fullbacks of the last 10 years.

excellent signing. I'm happy for this. You won't find a more athletic fullback with some good defending and attacking skills already in superior development at age 21. Good luck, Baba.

Now, about centre midfield...

Watching Ghana during the African Cup this year, I saw him in action. I'd never heard of him before so he was completely new for me, 0 expectations. I was very impressed by him. Strong on both ends, like you said impressive athleticism and he showcased a maturity in his game surprising for a guy with his experience. Ghana's best player for me. Found out he played for Augsburg and read he was one of the revelations of the Bundesliga. In his first year at top level as well.

I'm very hesitant about getting excited about his purchase though. It wouldn't be the first time a player excelled during the African Cup, or any other international tournament, only failing to replicate that form ever again. Same goes for one season wonders.

I've wanted a 'modern fullback' (with real pace) for so long now (when will we stop using that phrase btw, modern fullbacks have been around for 15+ years). When did Cole's prime end? 10/11? And he was the only one in the Abramovich era. You'd have to go back to Petrescu to find one before Cole.

(Bossssingwa doesn't count, he was poor)

I wish him all the best. If Baba plays like he did at the AC, he'll do fine here. But he'll need to get a real chance though.

completely overpaying for him. shows how desperate we are. nowhere near worth 30 m after one good season in the Bundesliga. Hopefully he can cope with the pressure and the new league. for sure better than spending money on Rose. we are taking a gamble with him, but everything is better than watching Ivanovic playing as a RB atm.

Baba is obviously not being bought to be loaned out, or to remain on the bench for a longer amount of time. He is too expensive to be farmed out for a higher fee, and too young and raw to be a good back-up. I reckon he is supposed to take over the left spot, whether right away or next season (provided he justifies his price tag) with there being a change on the other flank. I suspect that with Terry being phased out in favor of Zouma/Stones, the backline will not be as deep and Mou can relax the expected characteristics in full backs that made Bran such an obvious choice before.

completely overpaying for him. shows how desperate we are. nowhere near worth 30 m after one good season in the Bundesliga. Hopefully he can cope with the pressure and the new league. for sure better than spending money on Rose. we are taking a gamble with him, but everything is better than watching Ivanovic playing as a RB atm.

Except for its not 30m so your post is irrelevant.