Has PL lost footballing quality?

termninja

Does anyone else feel that the English football has actually lost on football quality with all this fierce competitivnes combined with more phyiscal play?

After watching some games from Spain, Germany and Italy I was left surprised how some games were fun to watch even though I had no fucking idea who some of the players were. Movement, passing, chances...all there, while when I watch games from England, it's mostly running and kicking the shit out of opponent with ocassioanl glimpses of why I actually love football.

I am aware that this was and is something that is unique to English football and all that stuff, but I feel it has gotten worse (or better if you view it from a positive side) with all the money, fame and media being rolled around the Premier League. While that isn't bad by itself naturally, to me it seems that it had a cost PL had to pay, and the cost is in the technical quality of football that we see.

And not only that, but there is no winter break for English teams and for example, we started this season already 1 week before. I am not a physio sure, but even to me it's evident players need at least 1 more week to get ready for competitive football, and our squad has no injuries thankfuly by luck and our great medical stuff.

It seems to me that the PL chiefs don't give a single fuck about players or quality of the game rather then milking more money out of PL and trying to advertize it as much as possible. And again, you can say well yeah they only care about the money of course, and while you are right, I thought that they maybe cared for footballers just a tiny bit, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

To add to my argument, I would point out how English teams did in the CL in the last couple of years. Last time an English team won a CL excluding our magic victory, is Man United against us in 2008, and afterwards English teams were almost always struggling against teams from Italy, Spain or Germany. Talk all you want about being lucky, but this is a period of full 5 seasons without an English team dominating in Europe and PL is close to having 3 rather then 4 teams in CL soon. I am excluding our 2012 victory above because by no means were we dominating, nor it was a regular CL for us.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post and it's quite ironic that absolutely obscene amounts of money are being spent on a product that's best days are behind it. The reason that there will never be a Winter break in England apart from Sky and B.T. losing money hand over fist is the one thing that us Brits love talking about is the weather. You could get a week of snow anytime between December and February and as this is a C.F.C site two Chelsea games get postponed well where do you fit the rearranged games in?. It takes weather of near biblical extremes for a game to be called off because well he who pays the piper calls the tune a cliche but still true.

I remember we played Palace in the Zenith Data semi final in 1990 ( beggars can't be choosers and we were Big Issue beggars then ha ha) and the game was called off because of high wind and just in case the glass in the windows of the East Stand cracked and the debris ended up on the pitch

Excellent post and it's quite ironic that absolutely obscene amounts of money are being spent on a product that's best days are behind it. The reason that there will never be a Winter break in England apart from Sky and B.T. losing money hand over fist is the one thing that us Brits love talking about is the weather. You could get a week of snow anytime between December and February and as this is a C.F.C site two Chelsea games get postponed well where do you fit the rearranged games in?. It takes weather of near biblical extremes for a game to be called off because well he who pays the piper calls the tune a cliche but still true.

I remember we played Palace in the Zenith Data semi final in 1990 ( beggars can't be choosers and we were Big Issue beggars then ha ha) and the game was called off because of high wind and just in case the glass in the windows of the East Stand cracked and the debris ended up on the pitch

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure I've understood what you meant to say. If there is a winter break then winter weather cannot cause games to be postponed. Aside the money issues I can't see other reasons for crippling team's chances in Europe by playing through the winter, and both Mourinho and Wenger already brought up the issue a few times.

From one point of view it is ironic what you said and I agree, but from the other it seems to me as if the insane amounts of money injected into the game caused all this loss of quality.

For example it's sickening to me how Eden can't play his football well in England because he gets abused every time he's on the ball, and honestly I wouldn't blame him if in a few seasons he wanted to switch to Real where he can actually play football.

No what i mean is if there are no games for example between the 24th of Dec and Dec 31th for the Winter break then in the middle of January we have terrible weather and a couple of games get called off there is no window to fit them in. In 2008 we had to play Wigan on a Monday and Everton on a Thursday you'd get fixture pile ups all the time especially for teams who are competing on all fronts. Hope that explains it mate and again your post was excellent cheers.

That's why I want our team to try and get better. Because just winning the premier League is no longer a basis to show that you are a champions League favorite anymore.

I actually find laliga teams far more entertaining to watch in terms of pressing and movement.

We have passing and defending in the Premier League, but in terms of pressing and movement, we are so poor in the league as a whole.

If you asked me that a few season ago, I would've agreed. When Cristiano left it seemed there was an impending exodus of talent heading to the riches of Spain or the ease of the Bundesliga.

But I think this summer has gone on to prove that competitiveness and quality is returning to the Premier League

I think its better than ever. Just the top teams aren't great.

This is the perfect response. Stoke now have 5 registered Champions League winners and you would have never thought they were capable of such a feat when Tony Pulis was there. Players have got that itch back to ply their trade in the PL and they've realised they don't need to join the 'top 4' in order to do it anymore. Palace have captured Cabaye, West Brom just signed Rondon.

There's a wave of players this summer coming to the League. You can accredit that to the new broadcasting deal I guess which means Stoke can afford to pay players like Affelay, Bojan and Shaqiri without putting themselves in trouble.

To me the PL is like the NFL of the world.

It's just exciting, rush, passion and all that crazy stuff.

While in other league it's more technical and artistic......

There's a reason why American sports are popular in the world. People love that rush, and that's what the EPL brings you.

There's a reason why American sports are popular in the world. People love that rush, and that's what the EPL brings you.

I am actually slowly starting to move away from this football and move into North American sports. Personally I believe the appeal of NA Sports is cos of the salary cap and the fact that sports there are much more fairer!

Isnt nfl standing around 90% of the time?

But I've spoken to those who have. And they say its very stop start.

Dude you should watch for yourself and come to your own conclusion.

It's like the same people arguing about the best league in the world.

You need to watch them and come to your own conclusion as to why you like it and why not.

Not what someone else said....

Dude you should watch for yourself and come to your own conclusion.

It's like the same people arguing about the best league in the world.

You need to watch them and come to your own conclusion as to why you like it and why not.

Not what someone else said....

I don't think i will , last superbowl had 12 minutes of actual game time. This is not enough for me to spend hours watching