Shocking lack of depth and what can we play in big games?

Tomo

Now I think we actually have a real chance of retaining our title for 3 reasons our manager, the other teams not being all that and the fact our best team when on form is perfectly set up for flat track bullying but beyond that there is holes in our squad, the depth is absolutely shocking.

We are fine in the keeper department but short in the defensive department, a problem that will hopefully be fixed shortly with Baba and Stones but looking further up the pitch, we are lacking.

On song, we got the best first Xl in the league but we are treading a thin line, If Matic and Costa get injured say and Hazard has a susoension this will likely be our mid field and strike.

-----------Mikel----------Cesc-------

Cuadrado-----Oscar-----Moses

------------Remy/Falcao----------

Is that really that much better than the team in 2012 that finished 6th? Even Chuck in one of the three absenties above and it still don't look that great. I'm not demanding a 2nd Hazard or 2nd Costa on the bench, but surely there's some better back up options than the one's we got? Strikers for example we use to have top quality to choose from, Drogba or Gudjohnsen, Drogba or Crespo, Drogba or Anelka, Drogba is out any off those three can lead the line, Remy and current Falcao isn't as close to the quality of any of them named before hand, if Costa doesn't sort that hammy out were in deep shit.

Then there's the big games, the CM is a huge issue, Matic and Cesc and the latters defensive weakness gets targeted, Mikel and Matic too defensive, Ramires with anyone and we practicality surrender any control, Cesc is awful at #10, literally any midfield combo in the big game's handicaps us at the minute, Witsel would go a long way to fixing that.

I think we can flat track bully our way to the title again, but it is quite frustrating that a good window this summer could have truly set the squad up for a long spell there or there abouts, luckily the team is still young and nowhere near the stagnation stage, so if there's no more activity this summer, there will be chances to rectify the mistakes of this summer, but its still frustrating never the less.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moment Jose will understand what he wants to do in the big games, and it wont involve Ramires and Mikel, it will all get better.

If Jose wants Cesc to stay as our DLP (where he should play), he should learn how to use Oscar/Willian in the #10 in a satisfying way for his defensive system. Right now with Ramires we're going nowhere.

Witsel or anyone like him would be a lot better than what we have in Mikel/Ramires, but:

A. Like you said, Cesc isnt so good in #10, but even more important Witsel-Matic pivot isnt creative enough in terms of passing and its too defensive (only four players in attack). For a season its ok, but for the future of this team? i dont think so.

B. To be honest, i just dont believe in that "XI for 'Easy' Games" / "XI for Big Games". The best XI should be the same in every situation. Thats a strong and balanced team. And Jose always had it in the past.

Now he constantly doing this rotation with Ramires-Oscar, but in Real, Inter or Chelsea 04-08, he always had an XI he trusts in every kind of game.

He doesnt have that because of Cesc's defensive weakness, so imo he needs to find the #10 who can complete Matic-Cesc. If he wont, i cant see us making a real development.

I strongly believe Jose saw this player in Pogba and Koke this summer, but it was impossible to get them. Right now i would say Willian is the best bet for this role (which would leave RW empty). Hopefully Oscar as well but it doesnt seem like he trusts him.

Its unbelievable how 9 out of 10 people writing in UK press is saying we are favorites to win the PL this season. I'm getting the feeling those people barely know what's really going on with teams, because the amount of problems with this squad is really worrying. It won't be a surprise if the team struggle during this season but if that happen I imagine many "10 reasons why" articles everywhere.

In some predictions some guys only point to "Mourinho factor" as the reason the team will win the league.

Its unbelievable how 9 out of 10 people writing in UK press is saying we are favorites to win the PL this season. I'm getting the feeling those people barely know what's really going on with teams, because the amount of problems with this squad is really worrying. It won't be a surprise if the team struggle during this season but if that happen I imagine many "10 reasons why" articles everywhere.

In some predictions some guys only point to "Mourinho factor" as the reason the team will win the league.

Every Daily Mail "expert" except one tipped us as PL winners. The one who didnt tipped Man City but tipped Chelsea to win the CL.. I think there were over 16 experts

Every Daily Mail "expert" except one tipped us as PL winners. The one who didnt tipped Man City but tipped Chelsea to win the CL.. I think there were over 16 experts

there were 15 so called experts, but you was right all but one tipped Chelsea. perhaps they know more than we do. IMHO i think we will struggle to hold on to the title.

Mark my words we have absolutely no chance of winning anything this season.

Jose needed to improve the squad, he hasn't.

We've got a suspect main striker, I love him but this hamstring injury is just going to keep hindering him until they find the root cause.

Oscar I wanted to see the back of, he just isn't up to the number 10 job too lightweight.

Ramires and Cuadrado a complete waste of time.

And against Swansea we see the geriatrics in the defence, and how on earth we keep persevering with Cahill is beyond me, get Zouma in now.

Added to this over 90 minutes in preseason and during the begining of the 6 games we've drawn 3 and lost 3 including losing to the mighty New York Red Bulls 4-2

Does anybody think we can really overcome the likes of Bayern, Barca, Real to win the CL, i don't think so with this mob.

If we do have any chance it's in the domestic cups, and that's very limited.

JBD

Is this factor worth 12 to 15 points like Petr Cech ;p?

Mark my words we have absolutely no chance of winning anything this season.

Jose needed to improve the squad, he hasn't.

We've got a suspect main striker, I love him but this hamstring injury is just going to keep hindering him until they find the root cause.

Oscar I wanted to see the back of, he just isn't up to the number 10 job too lightweight.

Ramires and Cuadrado a complete waste of time.

And against Swansea we see the geriatrics in the defence, and how on earth we keep persevering with Cahill is beyond me, get Zouma in now.

Added to this over 90 minutes in preseason and during the begining of the 6 games we've drawn 3 and lost 3 including losing to the mighty New York Red Bulls 4-2

Does anybody think we can really overcome the likes of Bayern, Barca, Real to win the CL, i don't think so with this mob.

If we do have any chance it's in the domestic cups, and that's very limited.

JBD

The truth hurts but youre right. We dont know what the problems are behind the scenes with transfers. Maybe there arent any at all and Mou is on some mis guided ego trip trying to use the same lot as last year. But if thats right I'm worried even more if there ARE troubles as it means its Mou thats gone bomkers.

With the likes of Rami/.Cuadrado/Moses all linked going out its going to force us to panic buy and these next couple of weeks are going to be interesting.

IF we kew what the problems were (if at all) at least us guys would be able to rest our heads and resign ourselves to a slow build up and a fight for top 4.

Isn't that valid? I mean United's last two titles were solely down to Fergie.

I mean when things weren't going great last season Mou adjusted the tactics to make sure the points kept coming in, compare that to Pellegrini who hid behind "style" and oversaw Citys worst run of formsince Hughes was boss.

You should not undervalue remy, he is very good.

Remy is good but the amount of faith this forum has on him is unbelievable to me :o

Can't say I'm liking the smell of the season so far, it smells like there's a dangerous gas leak in a room full of smokers...

Remy is good but the amount of faith this forum has on him is unbelievable to me :o

Can't say I'm liking the smell of the season so far, it smells like there's a dangerous gas leak in a room full of smokers...

I agree with you.. Remy is underestimated way too much here!

I always came to the agreement with myself that he was a super-sub.. he scores every time he comes on!

Remy bailed us out on several occasions last year, he deserves to be trusted. He scored crucial goals.

Remy bailed us out on several occasions last year, he deserves to be trusted. He scored crucial goals.

No one is disputing that, but there is a difference between filling in and doing a good job and performing and bringing home the goods regularly as a number 1, Javier Hernandez is the main example of that.

Compare Remy to the first choice forwards at all the other clubs we are trying to compete with aswell as ours (Costa, Aguero, Rooney, Ibra, Suarez, Benzema, Lewa) and Remy is light years behind.

Like I said decent squad player to have, but he does tend to be overhyped a lot especially when some say he can compete toe to toe with Costa when he isn't on his level at all.

No one is disputing that, but there is a difference between filling in and doing a good job and performing and bringing home the goods regularly as a number 1, Javier Hernandez is the main example of that.

Compare Remy to the first choice forwards at all the other clubs we are trying to compete with aswell as ours (Costa, Aguero, Rooney, Ibra, Suarez, Benzema, Lewa) and Remy is light years behind.

Like I said decent squad player to have, but he does tend to be overhyped a lot especially when some say he can compete toe to toe with Costa when he isn't on his level at all.

I agree that he isn't on Costa's level. Costa is a world class striker, Remy is a good reliable striker that would certainly be able to fill in for a few games as he proved last season.

My point was that he does deserve (most of) the praise he gets.

What amazes me is that in the window where there was a lack of strengthening by our rivals, last summer, we recruited astutely and we reaped the rewards almost instantaneously. Now that our rivals are strengthening - In the areas they needed to - we've chosen to sit back and rest on our laurels. No-one knows what the real story is, whether this is a Mourinho call, by trusting the youth (massive LOL) or the board's by being financially responsible it seems almost bizarre!

As stated many times, it's not like this squad needs an overhaul. That's already happened in the establishment of a new core comprising of Costa, Hazard, Fabregas, Matic. But in the name of competition and depth we definitely need a few extra recruits. CM, RB (we know a LB is coming) and that's really it. If Oscar is allowed to leave (his body language was alarming in the wake of the Swansea goal) then of course he has to replaced in due course.