General Thread

Billy.

8 hours ago, the wes said:

Man city ladies got beat last night if the girls win the night they go top Of The league 😃😃

In fact they go top even if they only draw. That said...

In my post above I asked anyone who saw the ladies for the first time on Saturday to get down to Kingsmeadow tonight and lend your voice to the title push. That was on Saturday however. On Saturday it looked like the Huddersfield game was just going to be another end of season fixture with nothing much riding on it for the Blues. Now it matters however so I have to confess that I'll be at The Bridge tonight. The men's game is sold out though so if you don't have a ticket, Kingsmeadow is still the place for you. They are sure to have the men's game on in the bar so you'll be able to catch the whole second half after the ladies' match is finished. Tickets can be bought from the box office stall at Kingsmeadow and cost £6 for full paying adults and £3 for concessions. Box office at the ground opens at 5:30pm, game kicks-off at 7:00pm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2018 at 2:10 PM, Mana said:

Oh no...Eni Aluko's leaving us. :( Heartbreak for me personally. My favourite CL player. LEGEND!

You've championed the ladies well mate. A part of Chelsea I largely ignore. You must be gutted your Av is leaving us.

6 hours ago, Mana said:

Yeah, very emotional for me. I've met her personally a couple of times, including the church I go to. Aluko introduced me to Women's football.

What's worse I couldn't travel to Liverpool to see her final game (however I've been eyeballing the updates).

2-0 down, then they rose up to beat Pool Ladies 2-3. Including a Aluko goal and a brilliant equaliser from Ji. Stuff of champions.

These Ladies haven't let me down (well, actually several times but as not as much) ever since I started supporting them in 2015.

What a way to finish the season unbeaten. WHAT. A. WAY.

With 4 of the team leaving you might use Ji as new Av?

Ji So-Yun: Chelsea Ladies midfielder signs new deal with WSL 1 champions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44200171

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, Mana said:

Yeah, very emotional for me. I've met her personally a couple of times, including the church I go to. Aluko introduced me to Women's football.

What's worse I couldn't travel to Liverpool to see her final game (however I've been eyeballing the updates).

2-0 down, then they rose up to beat Pool Ladies 2-3. Including a Aluko goal and a brilliant equaliser from Ji. Stuff of champions.

These Ladies haven't let me down (well, actually several times but as not as much) ever since I started supporting them in 2015.

What a way to finish the season unbeaten. WHAT. A. WAY.

I was there. Was great and we made up more than 25% of the crowd. Was a lot of fun celebrating with the team after the game.

Our published attendances have been the highest in the league which is great but hopefully we'll be able to push them up further still. Before then however there's a lot to look forward in the summer with at least 4 players moving on and desperately needing to be replaced. Should be fun watching the comings and goings.

20 hours ago, Mana said:

Fun? Not for me it ain't. We lost Aluko, Chapman and Rafferty (who's the 4th? Dunn? Who left months ago?) and these players brought huge experience to the team. They'll be missed badly.

If we going to win the CL next season, we have bring in players who are just as good as these (or better). And City Women won't sit around either, they'll spend as well.

Yes, it was definitely fun. The departing players were leaving anyway. It was a nice occasion to share the ending of their time at the club with them. Was an especially nice touch when Claire came on to the supporters coach to thank us for the silver salver we had presented to her, and to say a last goodbye. She definitely enjoyed the day.

If you count Crystal that would make five departures. The name you've missed out from the list of first team departures is Becky Spencer but others not quite in the top squad have also left. Worse, three players' contracts are running out. The club is certain to pull out all the stops to keep Maren and Gilly but there are fears that Gemma will move in search or more playing time. A busy summer ahead for the club.

To be more competitive in the CL we need to significantly upgrade the squad, not just replace the departing players like for like. Wolfsburg were a pleasure to watch at Kingsmeadow. Some of their fans were generous enough to recognise that we are now closer to them than we have been in previous seasons but the truth is we are still miles behind them. They are the standard for me. We have our work cut out to catch up with them.

P.S. Good luck to VFL in today's Champions League Final.

• 3 months later...

The women play their first league game of the 2018/19 season at home to Manchester City Sunday September 9th. That's the weekend the men won't be playing because of the international break. If you're going to be missing your football fix that week, why not get over to Kingsmeadow, in Kingston, to support the girls. There's a bus that stops right outside the ground and a train station nearby, plus free car parking at the stadium. If you're driving just slap KT1 3PB into your satnav. Tickets are £6 full price, £3 concessions and can be bought on the day or from the club in advance. Kick off is at 2:00pm.

City finished second behind Chelsea in last season's Women's Super League so this is a massive game to kick off the campaign. We attracted a record crowd of over 3,300 when City visited Kingsmeadow in last season's FA Cup. That's more than attended some league two games but there's room for about 1500 more to watch what could turn out to be a pivotal fixture in the title race. See you down there if you can make it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Good on the girls for showing the lads how its done!!!

The Women’s FA Cup holders are into the last-eight of this season’s competition thanks to striker Bethany England’s 13th and 14th goals of the season and defender Jonna Andersson’s first – an extraordinary hit.

Chelsea: Berger, Blundell, Bright, Ingle, Carney, Ji, England, Eriksson, Andersson, Cuthbert, Spence

Subs: Lindahl, Cooper, Kirby, Carter, Asante, Riley, Bachmann

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/2/17/women-s-report--chelsea-v-arsenal-

Got the whole game here if the Facebook page is deleted!!

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-29/10000000_169056717411170_7801935850723825030_n.mp4?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJybHIiOjk1NywicmxhIjo0MDk2LCJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InNkIn0%3D&rl=957&vabr=532&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=f14828a85faedf8f87d255e609083589&oe=5C6A007B

36 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Good on the girls for showing the lads how its done!!!

The Women’s FA Cup holders are into the last-eight of this season’s competition thanks to striker Bethany England’s 13th and 14th goals of the season and defender Jonna Andersson’s first – an extraordinary hit.

Chelsea: Berger, Blundell, Bright, Ingle, Carney, Ji, England, Eriksson, Andersson, Cuthbert, Spence

Subs: Lindahl, Cooper, Kirby, Carter, Asante, Riley, Bachmann

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/2/17/women-s-report--chelsea-v-arsenal-

Got the whole game here if the Facebook page is deleted!!

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-29/10000000_169056717411170_7801935850723825030_n.mp4?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJybHIiOjk1NywicmxhIjo0MDk2LCJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InNkIn0%3D&rl=957&vabr=532&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=f14828a85faedf8f87d255e609083589&oe=5C6A007B

Swedish power shot

On 18/02/2019 at 0:37 AM, Unionjack said:

The old girls got a hellova left foot on her eh!

I didn't take to Jonna when she first arrived. She replaced a popular player who is more technically gifted. On top of that, Jonna is very one footed. Once I began to recognise what she is, rather than worry about what she isn't, Jonna quickly became one of my favourite members of the squad. She's a tremendous fullback.

Jonna gets up and down the line all game and her partnership with Kaz Carney down the left is a key part of our attacking play. She netted five times last season, playing wingback, but Sunday's strike was her first of the season after Emma Hayes switched to a 4-4-2.

2 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I didn't take to Jonna when she first arrived. She replaced a popular player who is more technically gifted. On top of that, Jonna is very one footed. Once I began to recognise what she is, rather than worry about what she isn't, Jonna quickly became one of my favourite members of the squad. She's a tremendous fullback.

Jonna gets up and down the line all game and her partnership with Kaz Carney down the left is a key part of our attacking play. She netted five times last season, playing wingback, but Sunday's strike was her first of the season after Emma Hayes switched to a 4-4-2.

I've been reading some of the pre/post game interviews and not sure if they are all BS ing or not but they all say they get on great together and feels like a family.

And the same goes for the yoofs.

I don't see the lads playing like a team.