General Thread

Billy.

Glad the ladies got the three points. Was busy tonight so I couldn't watch the match.

Kirby's on fire though it seems. I believe we will be at least on the final of the Champions League!

Big shout that mate. there are alot of amazing womans teams from around Europe, and this being out first time in it i think we should aim for 1/4 and that would be amazing. The Germans tend to dominate The Champions League

we are unseeded for the last 16 of the champions league draw takes place on Monday 12.30 UK time

Seeded
FFC Frankfurt (GER, holders) coefficient 72.680
Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) 115.080
Wolfsburg (GER) 97.680
Rosengård (SWE) 69.295
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 59.080
Fortuna Hjørring (DEN) 50.870
Zvezda-2005 (RUS) 37.520
Barcelona (ESP) 36.530

Unseeded

ASD Verona (ITA) 20.550
KIF Örebro (SWE) 20.295
Chelsea (ENG) 19.140
FC Twente (NED) 14.610
Brescia (ITA) 14.550
Slavia Praha (CZE) 13.560
Atlético Madrid (ESP) 13.530
LSK Kvinner (NOR) 12.075

• 4 weeks later...

1-1. Another own goal but we're level. Great headed finish actually looping over the keeper and under the bar. Goal cam against the run of play. The start of the second half has been just like the first. we can't keep the ball and we're well on the back foot.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes! Last minute of injury time, winner from Fran Kirby completes the fightback. Chelsea 2-1 Man City. The holders, who trailed with less than 3 minutes of normal time remaining, are through to a second successive Women's FA Cup final. The game will be staged at Wembley on May 14th.

The ladies are playing what is a Women's FA Cup Final rehearsal, but also a very significant WSL game in its own right, away at Arsenal. We lead 1-0 at the break, deservedly, but boy has it been a poor game. Both sides are playing badly, loads of mistakes and misplaced passes. It's got to be better in the second half; as Dr. Winston himself might say, "Can't get no worse."

Fran Kirby got the goal when she chased a ball over the top and was able to charge down the keeper's attempted clearance. As the ball ricocheted towards goal the Arsenal defender was easily favourite to get there first and I do mean easily. She just couldn't get her stride pattern organised however so the timing was never quite right for her to stretch out her leg and knock the ball away. Meanwhile Fran gained on her and as both players made a desperate, last ditch lunge at the ball, neither of them was able to get a touch and the ball bobbled its merry way into the net. A goal befitting the game I think.

Such quality as we have seen has come from Gemma Davidson, especially after she switched wings with Karen Carney and moved to the left. Love this player; one of the best in the woman's game I feel sure.

Game finished 2-0. We were a bit better in the second half but not that much. We did produce moments of quality to carve out some good chances but their keeper pulled off 2 or 3 really good stops. The second goal was also grabbed by Fran Kirby amid claims of handball as a goal line clearance struck her arm and dropped for her to fire into the roof of the net.

As the laws stand allowing the goal was the correct decision, there was no intention, but it's a bad law in my opinion and I'm glad The International Board are changing it. Fran may not have been able to get out of the way but the ball did strike her hand. If it hadn't done, the clearance would have sailed out of the box so, intent or no intent, Fran gained a big advantage by unfair means. It should have been a free kick. When a player handles the ball deliberately then, whether she/he gains an advantage or not, a free kick/penalty should always be awarded. Where the contact is unintentional however, then, for me, the decision must come down to whether or not an unfair advantage is gained. An example of what I mean: -

Defender near the goal line. The ball smacks him on the arm. He couldn't get out of the way. The decision depends on what would have happened if the ball had not struck his arm. If the ball would have sailed harmlessly out of play, no penalty, play on. If it would have hit his body instead, no penalty, play on. If it would have gone into the net then, albeit that he didn't mean to, the defender has gained a significant advantage by unfair means, penalty but no card.

Meanwhile back to Chelsea Ladies; Emma Hayes's post game comments are always honest and accurate and were again tonight. She's a very impressive person. Her players must love her. Emma being our manager is a big advantage for us I think.

• 3 weeks later...

WOMEN'S SUPER LEAGUE 1 / CHELSEA 6-3 LIVERPOOL

Chelsea Ladies won a nine-goal thriller at home to Liverpool Ladies to maintain their 100% winning start to the Women's Super League One season.

After Katie Zelem's first-minute opener for Liverpool, goals from Karen Carney, Fran Kirby, Drew Spence and Eniola Aluko put Chelsea 4-1 up at half-time.

Caroline Weir and Emma Lundh's second-half strikes gave the visitors hope.

But Kirby and Spence both added goals to restore the three-goal lead and keep pressure on leaders Manchester City.

Zelem, who netted twice in Liverpool's 3-2 loss at Notts County last time out, stunned the defending champions with a fine strike from range in the early stages.

But the floodgates opened after England winger Carney rounded the goalkeeper to level and the scoreline could have been bigger as Carney struck the crossbar with a free-kick late on.

Chelsea - who won 2-1 at Liverpool in their previous match - remain second, three points behind first-placed City, who have played a game more.

Emma Hayes' side face Arsenal in the Women's FA Cup Final at Wembley on Saturday, looking to defend the trophy they won for the first time last season.

Chelsea Ladies midfielder Drew Spence: "It was a bit like a basketball match, the way the goals were going in for both sides. I was pleased with my two goals.

"But we're disappointed we didn't manage the game better after coming from behind to go 4-1 in front by half-time. We've got to learn how to not concede before we turn on the gas.

"That's something for us to work on in training this week in the build up to the FA Cup final.

"We beat Arsenal 2-0 in the league recently but we can't have any complacency because of that, it's going to be a tough game."

Liverpool Ladies midfielder Caroline Weir: "Scoring three goals is fine, but if you concede six you can't expect anything out of a game.

"We made too many defensive errors and that's just not good enough against a team as good as Chelsea.

"This is a tough place to come, but it was so disappointing for us after making a great start with a brilliant goal by Katie Zelem.

"We conceded some poor goals after taking the lead, and going in at half-time 4-1 down we knew that wasn't good enough."

BBC.com

errouge.JPG