Begovic: "I feel like I can develop here"

BlueLion.

Asmir Begovic has commented that it is the allure of working with José Mourinho - who he believes can make him a better player - that attracted him in joining Chelsea.

The Blues today confirmed the arrival of the Bosnian international, who has put pen to paper on a four-year contract. After Radamel Falcao's season-long loan deal, Begovic is Mourinho's second summer acquisition.

A homegrown player under the Premier League's existing regulations, Begovic move to Stoke from Portsmouth in 2010 after seven years with the south coast club, but the temptation of silverware and the chance to work with the world's greatest coach proved to be too much to resist for Begovic.

'After speaking at length to the manager, I feel like I can develop here', Begovic began. 'I am very happy to be joining Chelsea FC'.

Begovic, who made 172 Premier League appearances for the Potters, is considered to be one of the better goalkeepers in England's top division - so much so that Manchester United had harboured intentions of pipping Chelsea at the final hurdle in the race for his signature.

However, Begovic claims he was made to feel like he would be an integral part of the Chelsea set-up, claiming 'I feel like I can be an important part of this team. I am looking forward to meeting up with the team on Wednesday for the pre-season tour'.

Last season, Mourinho regularly rotated first-choice stopper Thibaut Courtois with the recently departed Petr Cech, which gives Begovic the impression that he, too, will be given ample opportunities to impress for the champions.

In a heartfelt goodbye to Stoke fans, Begovic stressed the importance of embracing the chance to win silverware with the Blues: 'I had to take this opportunity for me to continue to develop and challenge myself as a player.

'I am very proud of what we achieved during my time at Stoke', the Bosnian concluded.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic