Asmir Begovic

BlueLion.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tibo might be our number 1 keeper but I really felt for Asmir yesterday, did not deserve to be dropped like that.

Yet the flip side is people like Ivanovic and Cesc are constantly shite yet remain ahead of people like Azpilicueta and RLC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, BlueLion said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave soon. No way is he going to be first choice unless Courtois suffers another long-term injury, and he isn't going to get the free ride he thought when it comes to winning trophies.

Not this season, but we will bounce back.

What does worry me tho now Jose is gone is we might go back to not really caring about back ups, first time around Jose kept Carlo then brought Hilario (who was a lot better than given credit for) then when Carlo left and Hilario declined we had Turnbull as number two for years, then Jose returned and fixed that initially and brought in Schwarzer (although not brilliant better than Turnbull by a distance), then when Tibo came back he had Cech as back up and even Schwarzer as number 3, then when Cech wanted tl go for first team football in came Asmir.

Jose always made sure his teams were well covered in goal with very good/decent back ups in Cudicini, Toldo, Cassilas, Schwarzer, Cech, Begovic and even decent expierenced number 3s like Hilario, Schwarzer after Tibo arrived and Amelia. 

I just hope our new manager values decent back ups in goal should Asmir leave for first team footy because we got lucky that Cech never had long lay offs when Turnbull was understudy, this season when Tibo went down we were conceding for fun even with Begovic in goal, imagine if we had Turnbull.

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Not this season, but we will bounce back.

What does worry me tho now Jose is gone is we might go back to not really caring about back ups, first time around Jose kept Carlo then brought Hilario (who was a lot better than given credit for) then when Carlo left and Hilario declined we had Turnbull as number two for years, then Jose returned and fixed that initially and brought in Schwarzer (although not brilliant better than Turnbull by a distance), then when Tibo came back he had Cech as back up and even Schwarzer as number 3, then when Cech wanted tl go for first team football in came Asmir.

Jose always made sure his teams were well covered in goal with very good/decent back ups in Cudicini, Toldo, Cassilas, Schwarzer, Cech, Begovic and even decent expierenced number 3s like Hilario, Schwarzer after Tibo arrived and Amelia. 

I just hope our new manager values decent back ups in goal should Asmir leave for first team footy because we got lucky that Cech never had long lay offs when Turnbull was understudy, this season when Tibo went down we were conceding for fun even with Begovic in goal, imagine if we had Turnbull.

Buying older goalkeepers as a back-up is a good policy. Amelia is a very good third-choice option, and Begovic is clearly the best second choice goalkeeper in world football after Claudio Bravo. 

9 minutes ago, BlueLion said:

Buying older goalkeepers as a back-up is a good policy. Amelia is a very good third-choice option, and Begovic is clearly the best second choice goalkeeper in world football after Claudio Bravo. 

What makes Amelia a very good third-choice option? Released by Milan in 2014 (hardly a positive sign for a back-up GK), went almost a year as a free agent, only to end up as a back-up at Serie B level (playing just one game). Also played at amateur level during that period as a free agent.

It's one of the strangest signings ever and we've seen strange signings.

17 hours ago, DYC. said:

What makes Amelia a very good third-choice option? Released by Milan in 2014 (hardly a positive sign for a back-up GK), went almost a year as a free agent, only to end up as a back-up at Serie B level (playing just one game). Also played at amateur level during that period as a free agent.

It's one of the strangest signings ever and we've seen strange signings.

He's experienced and a cheap wage. Short-term option.

Not to mention he is considerably better than Blackman,

1 hour ago, BlueLion said:

He's experienced and a cheap wage. Short-term option.

Not to mention he is considerably better than Blackman,

Hmm. You could find hundreds of GKs matching that description'. I think we'd be in for a shocker if he actually had to play.

8 hours ago, DYC. said:

Hmm. You could find hundreds of GKs matching that description'. I think we'd be in for a shocker if he actually had to play.

True. But he was available at the time. He'll probably never, ever play for us (Magnus Headman, anyone?), but I'd feel better having him on the bench in the Parc des Princes if there was an injury to Thibaut or Asmir, as opposed to Blackman or Beeney.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...