Asmir Begovic

BlueLion.

Only at Chelsea you can consistently concede 2+ goals as a goalkeeper and still be the undisputed MOTM. Worthy replacement to Cech.

Maybe I dont get what you try to say, but are you pointing finger at begovic for us letting two goals each match?

Our defense is probably the worst in the league atm. From Matic, Cesc to back four with only Azpi doing his job everyone else is plain shit. Cant mark corners, cant tackle on time, cant win 1on1 against any decent attacker, cant stop crosses.

Our defense is awful. From individuals to team defending, we are shit.

Begovic and Azpi are probably the only ones who help the team, other way we would be conceding 4 goals a game.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Swear I am not trying to be a contrarian here, but I think he's been good, but not great or fantastic.

I just can't help but think Courtois, perhaps, would have been able to save that extra one that went in and we wouldn't be as deep as we are right now.

Again, not criticizing Begovic, but praising a sure top5 GK in Courtois. As a second GK we couldn't possibly done any better.

I think its quite opposite. Tibo is good and confident when his defense plays well. When defenders play shit, he wont be dragging us out time and time again with amazing saves.

For example we scored and for rest k

Of game Cech managed to win us a game with number of key saves. I think Tibo (or begovic to that extent) cant, but Begovic is more experienced and done well so far, saved many goals when our defenders were poor, but when you allow so many shots on goal, he cant stop them all. Tibo would go with the form of the team. He isnt that strong character to lead our defense.

Maybe I dont get what you try to say, but are you pointing finger at begovic for us letting two goals each match?

No, on the contrary I was trying to point out that our defence is so shit that in normal teams a goalkeeper conceding 2+ goals on regular basis wouldn't be considered any good, but in a team like Chelsea conceding is inevitable and he is the only one who has stopped us from shipping in ~10 goals every game.

No, on the contrary I was trying to point out that our defence is so shit that in normal teams a goalkeeper conceding 2+ goals on regular basis wouldn't be considered any good, but in a team like Chelsea conceding is inevitable and he is the only one who has stopped us from shipping in ~10 goals every game.

Oh I though you were being sarcastic about Begovic :)

I know it's not just Asmir but I've heard on a couple of occasions managers saying that is ultimately the keeper's call. For example, Petr always had 2 players on the posts why Thibaut didn't have any even at Atletico.

Maybe some managers let the keeper decide, but I doubt someone like Mourinho does. Dunno, will have to check if he did it at Stoke or in the national team.

You think Jose will give Thibo the job back when he returns???

Yes, keeper is different to outfield, in goal you pick you're pecking order and stick to it.

Take WBA for example, Foster in injured a lot and Myhill does well when called on but when Foster is fit he play's.

• 4 weeks later...

He doesn't inspire confidence when it comes to penalties...

Also to add, he's done well, very well, in terms of shot stopping, but I can't help but wonder why he hasn't organised the defense by now.

I know we were a defensive mess with Tibo at the start too, but I feel he would have had some sort of control on the defence by now.

Also to add, he's done well, very well, in terms of shot stopping, but I can't help but wonder why he hasn't organised the defense by now.

I know we were a defensive mess with Tibo at the start too, but I feel he would have had some sort of control on the defence by now.

Thibo also doesn't organize the defense. I remember him saying something to that affect when he returned, that JT commands the defense, and that at Atletico Madrid he was given the license to organize the back-line to his liking.

Until JT hangs them up, no gk will have dominant say in the way they organize the defense.

Not that I particularly care that much either way.

Proper fuck-up for that Dynamo equalizer.

Difference between having Cech or Courtois (World Class GKs), i like Begovic and he´s been playing well, but those 2 have won us matches on their own when the rest of the team was shit. Cech and Arsenal got hammered today and brought back to earth, i do feel sorry for Cech, deserved much better than Arsenal, but whatever, love seeing them get humbled, all in all a good day.

Difference between having Cech or Courtois (World Class GKs), i like Begovic and he´s been playing well, but those 2 have won us matches on their own when the rest of the team was shit. Cech and Arsenal got hammered today and brought back to earth, i do feel sorry for Cech, deserved much better than Arsenal, but whatever, love seeing them get humbled, all in all a good day.

We are not better than Arsenal

We are not better than Arsenal

It seems you don´t understand banter, where did i say we were better than Arsenal in my post? In fact the last 10 years "we have" been better than them, but this season we haven´t, but our chances of progressing in the Champions League this season look much better for us than for them, even if we are having a troubled season, but hey whatever helps you sleep at night <_<

Courtois would've been the clear favourite for the Balon D'or if he was playing behind this defence. Begovic is a great #2 but he's several levels behind Thibu.

You're probably right, on both counts, but I'm very happy with Begovic. He didn't cover himself in Glory re their goal but, as we know, all keepers mess up sometimes. It's inevitable. Overall he's been good for us and I'm delighted we have him. I have no fears whatsoever about him starting games.