test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hamilton

Rumoured Leon Bailey

Started by Hamilton,

142 posts in this topic
I just seem him being a similar signing to Schurrle. Has shown glimpses in Germany but would blow hot & cold over here.


Except Schurrle had one of the worst conversion rates in Europe when we bought him. It continued when he joined us.

Leon Bailey has excellent finishing so I doubt he will be another schurrle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 

 He has stated his desire to play in the EPL. Players to do have say in the matter btw (just look at Reus).
 
How did that work out with Sanches?


Is Sanches made of the same material Bailey is? Comparisons like this are so useless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



 
Perhaps but do you think many folk would chose Chelsea or any PL club ahead of Bayern Munich in all fairness? Sanches had maybe played 1 season of football before he went to Bayern, Bailey had played regularly before moving to Germany and has continued to do so. How often do Bayern get it wrong? I genuinely think if he keeps going at the rate he is, somebody like them or some other club will snap him up. Even if he is a Chelsea fan or not. Doesn't always work out ask Lukaku or various other young lads from the past.  


Not often, I agree. I think the chance of him developing here is slim similar to Lukaka, Salah, De Bruyne's time here.

OneMoSalah likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites





Except Schurrle had one of the worst conversion rates in Europe when we bought him. It continued when he joined us.

Leon Bailey has excellent finishing so I doubt he will be another schurrle


He scored 14 goals the season before joining us, so no idea how many chances he missed going by your statement.



Is Sanches made of the same material Bailey is? Comparisons like this are so useless


I used him as an example of someone moving too soon. Sanches might have had only one season under his belt, but he he did the following in those 12 months:

Won a league title
Played in the CL
Helped Portugal win the Euros

On the other hand, we have Bailey dodging Jamaican call ups in the hope Martinez need him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

 

 

 

 

 

Schurrle was predominantly used as a CF during his season at Leverkusen, which was one of the reasons he was involved in 24 goals. I'd give Bailey another season before going after him.

 

 

 

I just think it's too soon to go after someone like him for a number of reasons. Give him another season with CL football and then, see how he does.

 

 

 

 

Like I said. We’re not a team that pays the top dollar anymore so we need to take calculated gambles like this one. If we let him grow and prosper in the CL, and the likes of Madrid/City/Barcelona/Bayern come calling, we’re not going to afford him anymore. Thing about Bailey is he’s been thoroughly scouted by the club — we’ve been after him/keeping an eye on him since Genk days so if they felt like he’s worth the buy it’s fine. It wouldn’t really be a random purchase is my point.

Quick question, how often have you watched Bailey/Leverkusen this season?  

Superblue_1986 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the wes said:

Do you not think he's very similar to zaha?? 

No, he gets way more goals and assists than Zaha. Zaha is more of a creating dribbler, Bailey is a wide forward like Alexis Sànchez or Martial or Son or Sterling for example. Zaha doesn’t score enough goals. 

Chelsea Legend 11, mccg and the wes like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Like I said. We’re not a team that pays the top dollar anymore so we need to take calculated gambles like this one. If we let him grow and prosper in the CL, and the likes of Madrid/City/Barcelona/Bayern come calling, we’re not going to afford him anymore. Thing about Bailey is he’s been thoroughly scouted by the club — we’ve been after him/keeping an eye on him since Genk days so if they felt like he’s worth the buy it’s fine. It wouldn’t really be a random purchase is my point.

Quick question, how often have you watched Bailey/Leverkusen this season?  

I've said the same thing before about our spending habits nowadays. I probably would be less opposed to this move if we were a team that was patient & gave youngsters a chance instead of expecting from the get go.

Only watched Leverkusen in the bigger games this season.

Josh20 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schurrle was actually a really good player for us, another sold player from jose which I regret he did. But I think Bailey and Schurrle are different type of players.

the wes likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites





I used him as an example of someone moving too soon. Sanches might have had only one season under his belt, but he he did the following in those 12 months:

Won a league title
Played in the CL
Helped Portugal win the Euros

On the other hand, we have Bailey dodging Jamaican call ups in the hope Martinez need him.


Conversion rate is based on shots on and off target. He took a LOT of shots to get that figure and continued to take that many at chelsea with very little end product. Bailey is nothing like him at all.

You can't assign the same characteristics to two different people. There are people who have left a club after one season that have gone on to have fantastic careers, maybe Bailey is one of them? Glass half full or half empty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On the other hand, we have Bailey dodging Jamaican call ups in the hope Martinez need him.


As someone who has followed the development of Bailey for a few years, I can comfortably say you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

 


Conversion rate is based on shots on and off target. He took a LOT of shots to get that figure and continued to take that many at chelsea with very little end product. Bailey is nothing like him at all.

You can't assign the same characteristics to two different people. There are people who have left a club after one season that have gone on to have fantastic careers, maybe Bailey is one of them? Glass half full or half empty?

You need to realise I'm using players who arguably moved on too soon and have fallen into the background. I'd love Bailey to come here, hit the ground running and flourish, but the probability of that happening going by youngsters at this club in the past is slim.

38 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

 


As someone who has followed the development of Bailey for a few years, I can comfortably say you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

 

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/chelsea-arsenal-target-leon-bailey-turns-back-on-jamaica-4212553

I'm going by what I've read. Please enlighten me how all articles similar to this one are nonsense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, King11Didier said:

Schurrle was actually a really good player for us, another sold player from jose which I regret he did. But I think Bailey and Schurrle are different type of players.

Yes Schurrle was fantastic backup for us. Very likable character and seemed to have special bond with club (due to Ballack and his recommendations). 

He wanted to play more though but realy faded in Bvb, however if he stayed here I think he would made better career.

Bailey on other hand can be proper baller, top dog. I know we cant get top players, but he seems to be one of reachable talents who can become world class. Would be kind of like Salah, De Bruyne signing, someone with huge potential. 

I realy hope the club can get it done, its been long time since we signed very young player with huge potential. Couple years ago we were doing it regulary (Kdb, Lukaku, Tibo, Salah,...)

Its just a shame he was rumoured to be worth 30-40m back in december, but now his price is getting very high.

King11Didier and Unionjack like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/chelsea-arsenal-target-leon-bailey-turns-back-on-jamaica-4212553
I'm going by what I've read. Please enlighten me how all articles similar to this one are nonsense?


Your first mistake is reading tribal football, without doubt the no.1 source for bullshit stories and clickbait ads. Don't read that stuff for anything more than a laugh.

As for our youth policy, you may have a point there. Leon would have to fight for time with Willian and/or Pedro and prove to be better. I happen to think he is already capable of displacing them based on his ability to finish. If we wait another year his fee may double if not treble and he will no longer meet our price point in which case we'll be signing Nathan Redmond...

Here is the most clear and concise explanation as to what is going on with Leon Bailey and the national team.


mccg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

 


Your first mistake is reading tribal football, without doubt the no.1 source for bullshit stories and clickbait ads. Don't read that stuff for anything more than a laugh.

As for our youth policy, you may have a point there. Leon would have to fight for time with Willian and/or Pedro and prove to be better. I happen to think he is already capable of displacing them based on his ability to finish. If we wait another year his fee may double if not treble and he will no longer meet our price point in which case we'll be signing Nathan Redmond...

Here is the most clear and concise explanation as to what is going on with Leon Bailey and the national team.

 

 

 

That was just a link that I read recently, but it was quoting Winnie Schaefer (former coach now, so I guess the stance might change).

Thanks for posting an explanation, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, the wes said:

scored tonight another good goal 

 

this kid and fekir....and sell willian and pedro...our attack is set for decades...

Dazzy_Vance likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2018 at 4:55 PM, The Skipper said:

Like I said. We’re not a team that pays the top dollar anymore so we need to take calculated gambles like this one. If we let him grow and prosper in the CL, and the likes of Madrid/City/Barcelona/Bayern come calling, we’re not going to afford him anymore. Thing about Bailey is he’s been thoroughly scouted by the club — we’ve been after him/keeping an eye on him since Genk days so if they felt like he’s worth the buy it’s fine. It wouldn’t really be a random purchase is my point.

Quick question, how often have you watched Bailey/Leverkusen this season?  

If the club is heading towards that path then I'm more than happy to be in support of it, but the board must follow a long term plan and not panic when there are difficult times. They also need the right manager in place for at least 2-3 seasons who won't be afraid to show the faith for younger players to prove themselves at the club.

There is clear value in doing this and Chelsea should have reaped far higher rewards for doing so a few years back when we took the likes of Lukaku, De Bruyne and Courtois from Belgium and Salah from Basle. To a lesser extent Hazard fell into this bracket too of a young player with high potential but still far from the finished article and at the time playing in a French league which wasn't overly strong. But Chelsea panicked and moved away from building a younger, creative team to the Mourinho form of win now and the majority of these players, with others like Bertrand, weren't given the chances they should have been given.

The worrying thing is that Chelsea have moved away from this over the last couple of seasons and need to prove again that they can pluck out this sort of talent at the correct time. With Bailey, why didn't we buy him when he was at Genk like the others and loan him out for a year or two. Even at Leverkusen, he won't command top dollar yet but we're still likely talking £30 - 40m minimum and at this price tag for someone still fairly unproven and inexperienced the risk is that much higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets chuck a loanee in and afew dollars more to seal this transfer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If the club is heading towards that path then I'm more than happy to be in support of it, but the board must follow a long term plan and not panic when there are difficult times. They also need the right manager in place for at least 2-3 seasons who won't be afraid to show the faith for younger players to prove themselves at the club.

There is clear value in doing this and Chelsea should have reaped far higher rewards for doing so a few years back when we took the likes of Lukaku, De Bruyne and Courtois from Belgium and Salah from Basle. To a lesser extent Hazard fell into this bracket too of a young player with high potential but still far from the finished article and at the time playing in a French league which wasn't overly strong. But Chelsea panicked and moved away from building a younger, creative team to the Mourinho form of win now and the majority of these players, with others like Bertrand, weren't given the chances they should have been given.

The worrying thing is that Chelsea have moved away from this over the last couple of seasons and need to prove again that they can pluck out this sort of talent at the correct time. With Bailey, why didn't we buy him when he was at Genk like the others and loan him out for a year or two. Even at Leverkusen, he won't command top dollar yet but we're still likely talking £30 - 40m minimum and at this price tag for someone still fairly unproven and inexperienced the risk is that much higher.

Still not sure what anybody seen in Bertrand to think he was going to be a good player for us. Squad filler yes maybe but again, he struggled to displace Ashley Cole who was on a downward spiral (although he still offered good performances in games where he played despite not being used that often under Mourinho in particular), sure Mourinho had his favourites like Ivanovic at RB but LB was very much a spot that was very much there to be contested, to the point where Cesar ended up playing the role (and to an excellent standard) but yeah, Bertrand, isn't missed, when Emerson comes in we will have 2 decent enough LBs of a better quality. Plus in regard to Mourinho's style, it worked didn't it? Nobody complained at the time when we wont he league etc, sure it was shite the season after but again the club were standing still and everyone else was going forwards. We were probably worse under Benitez.  

Tomo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Still not sure what anybody seen in Bertrand to think he was going to be a good player for us. Squad filler yes maybe but again, he struggled to displace Ashley Cole who was on a downward spiral (although he still offered good performances in games where he played despite not being used that often under Mourinho in particular), sure Mourinho had his favourites like Ivanovic at RB but LB was very much a spot that was very much there to be contested, to the point where Cesar ended up playing the role (and to an excellent standard) but yeah, Bertrand, isn't missed, when Emerson comes in we will have 2 decent enough LBs of a better quality. Plus in regard to Mourinho's style, it worked didn't it? Nobody complained at the time when we wont he league etc, sure it was shite the season after but again the club were standing still and everyone else was going forwards. We were probably worse under Benitez.  

I'm not saying that Bertrand will have necessarily become first choice but surely could have done a job as a competent backup and essentially if we did still have him we wouldn't have slogged Alonso for the last 18 months with little to no rest.

With regards to Mourinho, I understand what you are saying and its a fine balance because we don't want to become the Arsenal of 8 years ago which was young and full of promise but ultimately won nothing. When the opportunity is there to win trophies, take it. I think the problem was that the squad wasn't tailored for Mourinho's style when he first arrived and rather than taking the longer term, planning option to keep developing the attacking talent we had, we went for the quick, short term success which in hindsight we're now paying the price long term for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.