Michael Essien

LDN Blue

Excellent ball over the defenses head. If only it was at the other end, though...

In all seriousness, it was a HUGE risk by Jose to just throw him in a game like this when he hadn't even been getting minutes off the bench. He paid the price for that mistake.

He had a rough ride yesterday. Literally nothing he tried worked, even the dive. We should win the PL so he can leave on a high, as I don't think there's one single Chelsea fan that sees him still with us next season. Sadly we can't roll back the years and get that beast of a player back.

Excellent ball over the defenses head. If only it was at the other end, though...

In all seriousness, it was a HUGE risk by Jose to just throw him in a game like this when he hadn't even been getting minutes off the bench. He paid the price for that mistake.

Reminds me of that Barcelona screamer! :)

He's still just turned 31. I can't even begin to explain why his performances declined so much, even when you factor the injuries he's had.

I think its not a case of that he has lost it. I think it was just not a game for him and then he was just mentally bad after giving the goal. Being on the bench for months and finally getting faith from the manager, and then repay the faith with giving away a goal might have been too much for him.

I want to see him play once again just to see if he still doesnt have something to give to Chelsea.

I think its not a case of that he has lost it. I think it was just not a game for him and then he was just mentally bad after giving the goal. Being on the bench for months and finally getting faith from the manager, and then repay the faith with giving away a goal might have been too much for him.

I want to see him play once again just to see if he still doesnt have something to give to Chelsea.

True...I think people are over-reacting to that one back pass. While the rest of the first half wasn't too great for Essien, you have to remember this player who has almost zero match practice with the team in recent weeks, was brought back to the first team against a tough opponent. Mourinho said the reason why he subbed Essien at half time was only because of his early yellow card.

I think he can still do a job as a squad player this season. He wasn't too shabby against Arsenal when playing in the Carling cup, so there are still options to play him.

• 2 weeks later...