Michael Essien

LDN Blue

Was decent yesterday, but then again the opposition never used the midfield so he did not have much to do apart from a tackle every no and again. But every time I see him in a competitive match at Real Madrid, he was mostly inadequate, easily played off and unable to add pressure to the opposition.

Heck I remember our 4-1 win against Napoli and he looked completely loss, gave the ball away far too much. It was amazing that we did not lose the match because he was unable to control the midfield

I don't get this idea that he is still some sort of tank that no one has bottle to take on. If anything h has no bottle to play a more phyiscal game, every time I see him he does a half-ass attempt to perform a tackle an often does not get the ball.

Was decent yesterday, but then again the opposition never used the midfield so he did not have much to do apart from a tackle every no and again. But every time I see him in a competitive match at Real Madrid, he was mostly inadequate, easily played of and unable to add pressure to the opposition.

Heck I remember our 4-1 win against Napoli ad he looked completely loss, gave the ball away far too much. It was amazing that we did not lose the match because he was unable to control the midfield

I don't get this idea that he is still some sort of tank that no one has bottle to take on. If anything h has no bottle to play a more phyiscal game, every time I see him he does a half-ass attempt to perform a tackle an often does not get the ball.

Micky is a squad player now, he would be a starter in a lower-quality team, but we should never forget that the team isnt all about talent and skills, it also needs beautiful persons everyday, at work, to still have the motivation to train properly, to do things well, to help to fix problems, with the coach, or any player to settle at the club.Mickey is the type of players that enjoy his football, his life, and for a group of footballers it is an absolute delight to have him everyday.He isnt a bad footballer either, he still could serve us in midfield and defence if we face injury crisis, so to keep him is the best of solutions.

'He seems to be back to the real Michael Essien,' said goalkeeper Petr Cech. 'He’s always been a fantastic player and the only unlucky things were the injuries. He’s back and if he stays fit then it will be great to have him.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2369616/Michael-Essien-key-role-Chelsea-Jose-Mourinho-season.html#ixzz2ZRHUN3Ah

Micky is a squad player now, he would be a starter in a lower-quality team, but we should never forget that the team isnt all about talent and skills, it also needs beautiful persons everyday, at work, to still have the motivation to train properly, to do things well, to help to fix problems, with the coach, or any player to settle at the club.Mickey is the type of players that enjoy his football, his life, and for a group of footballers it is an absolute delight to have him everyday.He isnt a bad footballer either, he still could serve us in midfield and defence if we face injury crisis, so to keep him is the best of solutions.

seems so strange seeing him called Micky or Mickey ...made me think of Droy or Thomas

I think him and Lamps should be squad players.

In my eyes our strongest option in the pivot is Mikel or Ramires next to Van Ginkel (not just judging him on his performance yesterday but for the Holland u21s he looked very very comfortable as the deepest midfielder as well as a box to box midfielder), he looks like he could be an all round midfield player. Plus Jose's adamant Van Ginkel is going to play, he has said hes ready to play numerous times so I think he will be a starter.

If we can sell Essien for a decent fee I'd be happy with that too but having Essien as a squad player is alright I suppose.

I'm hoping that Essien can be somewhere back to his best for us. He got a full season under his belt and now he's got a full pre-season to look forward to, and he looks to be in tremendous shape. Far too many people willing to write him off and some taking a bit of joy in that for whatever reason.

Think he could be a prominent player for us next season and that could make such a difference to our midfield.

That's simply not going to happen. Essien hasn't been that player since 2007-2008.A combination of a bunch of serious injuries and aging have left him a shadow of his former self. A player can rebound after a year or two of recovery, but expecting someone after 5 mediocre and injured years, to regain what they once were, is too much. It's not about taking joy, it's about being realistic. A 31 year old player with a history of serious knee problems and 9 major surgeries is not going to be the same player he was at 26 and completely healthy. We've watched him play and he just isn't remotely the same player he used to be. Even in 2010-2011 when he was healthy and playing regularly, he was not the same player. Now, 3 years older, he's going to be better? Essien is a good squad player because he's versatile and can slot in in a number of positions but expecting anything more than that is a bit silly.

Thank you. This x a 100. Essien isn't the same anymore and won't get anywhere near his best again, people just need to get over it. He'll be a decent squad player but nothing more.

That's simply not going to happen. Essien hasn't been that player since 2007-2008.A combination of a bunch of serious injuries and aging have left him a shadow of his former self. A player can rebound after a year or two of recovery, but expecting someone after 5 mediocre and injured years, to regain what they once were, is too much. It's not about taking joy, it's about being realistic. A 31 year old player with a history of serious knee problems and 9 major surgeries is not going to be the same player he was at 26 and completely healthy. We've watched him play and he just isn't remotely the same player he used to be. Even in 2010-2011 when he was healthy and playing regularly, he was not the same player. Now, 3 years older, he's going to be better? Essien is a good squad player because he's versatile and can slot in in a number of positions but expecting anything more than that is a bit silly.

I'm going to reserve judgment for a few months. I know Essien's history with form and fitness, but I also know the man and what he's capable of. Maybe I'm being more than a bit silly, but I'd back this guy to surprise a few people and I'll be supporting him all the way even if all he's capable of is making up the numbers.

We just have to take it slow with Ess. Obviously his body has deteriorated through age and injury, but he can still do a decent job for us. As fans, we need an open mind when assessing him, as to compare his future performances with his past ones would be futile.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to matches where he doesn't have that much time and space on the ball, to see if he is fit and able to play against the best teams. He has looked very good so far, his passing is exceptional, he is calm and composed, I haven't seen him play better than this in a Chelsea shirt since those nasty injuries. Lets hope Ess can keep it up, would be like a new signing to this team.

The bison roams through the midfield again. The opponents are scared shitless when he is running at them. Every team needs to have an authority on.

Yesterday, when JT got kicked the bison was the 1st one around & I sure like that.

Call him, the bison, the tank or...he is just like a new player for Chelsea & I can´t wait to see him playing, knocking folks against Manures.