Michael Essien

LDN Blue

Would be only good as squad depth, which might come in handy if another injury like Romeu might occur. Don't think we could entitle the role to Chalobah or Ake if the injury occurs around a series of a hectic schedule with some big teams. Rotation would be key, imo.

I doubt it, he hardly ever got in midfield at Madrid, used mainly at RB because Arbeloa is shit

If Mourinho was as sentimental as you think, then he would have asked for Paulo's contract to be extended no? Speaking of Paulo he actually put him up for sale in summer 2007, i remember him saying one of three players was leaving before the end of the transfer window Paulo, Johnson or i can't remember the other one, Johnson was the one who eventually left.

Also i thought Carvalho played well in his first season at Madrid, not the world beater he was 04-08 but he did allright, in the second season his performances nosedived and was rightfully dropped.

Mourinho seem's to want Modric and De Rossi, do you think he would play Lampard and Essien if he signs those two? absolutely no way. Lampard will be used like Scholes from now on and Essien (at best) will cover at RB when Azpi needs a rest.

That depends if they come and what formation he used. If he were to revert to a 4-3-3 he could well put both Essien and Lampard in it with De Rossi/Modric. Of course what you and me are saying in terms of transfer is just media speculation of course.

I really think he's actually been one of Madrid's worst players this season. His crossing & passing has been horrific.

However, with that said; he has had a few decent games at right back with around 2 acceptable performances in midfield. But is decent enough for us now? Would he accept being a deputy? I'm sure he could do the job vs. a League One team for us if they're not full of energy etc. (I think an enthusiastic Championship side would run him over) but I'd only accept this as a possibility if his wages dropped to something like £35,000 a week - which I can't see happening.

I think he would be good for depth, but if we do get any offers I'd sell him. Even this season we could have used a guy like Essien despite his injuries for rotational purposes.

Kind of sad to write that for one of my favorite players but that's pretty much how good he is right now.

Unfortunately he seems certain to be with us next season. Please Essien try and stay out of the way as much as possible. Or I really will begin to despise you.

Agreed.....I mean, he cant be getting in the way of our world class holding midfielders like Mikel can he?

So would you rather he take over Mikel, or actually buy a holding midfielder and get rid of both of them?

I'd give those two, along with Romeu, a chance to see what they can do under what Mourinho will try to create with us.

I wouldnt be looking to buy another until winter at the earliest. I'm convinced that those three, along with Ramires, can do the job well enough for us in the pivot.

Unfortunately he seems certain to be with us next season. Please Essien try and stay out of the way as much as possible. Or I really will begin to despise you.

Despise him?

Tell you what....get down the Bridge and try and 'despise' someone like Essien in front of Chelsea supporters and see how that works out.

He's a great servant to this club who has suffered two terrible knee injuries and you want to despise him? Fuck me....oh and this isn't you being victimised for holding a contrary opinion (god knows you'd probably love to play that victim card again), but you've got to admit you're being a bit of a :wank2: .

I worry about Essien, simply because before he went out on loan his passing and all round game was so poor I could not see him being his old self. He's done OK at Madrid but for me he maybe taking the place of someone who could offer more than him. I would love to be proved wrong, and hope I am but I am not so sure about him anymore.

Despise him?

Tell you what....get down the Bridge and try and 'despise' someone like Essien in front of Chelsea supporters and see how that works out.

He's a great servant to this club who has suffered two terrible knee injuries and you want to despise him? Fuck me....oh and this isn't you being victimised for holding a contrary opinion (god knows you'd probably love to play that victim card again), but you've got to admit you're being a bit of a :wank2: .

Oh yes, because when he moves like a giraffe trapped in quicksand, can't tackle for shit (unless he barges in two footed and gets lucky not to be sent off), slows down the play every time he gets the ball and does stupid mistakes that lead to things like penalties (Man City is a painful reminder) it makes me want to just smile at him and appreciate the 2 seasons where he actually was fit for all of it and was above par for us, especially when he gets a place back in the team to do all the above again because his "daddy" (one of the most sappy and vomit inducing things imaginable) doesn't want to say no to him.

You do love in the last month or so going through every post I make to try and vilify me about how much of my opinions are not "worthwhile observation", which to m comes across as you not being able to stand that I still post here.