Michael Essien

LDN Blue

If Essien gets back to his former self we would be fucking INSANE to sell him. He looked class yesterday, yes its only one game but if he plays like that against AC Milan, MLS all stars, Brighton and perhaps Man City we'd be daft to let him go. He was one of the greatest midfielders about a few years ago, form is temporary class is permanent ;) Remember he just came back from that major injury too.

Also with all these technical players who aren't as great physically we need more players like him who can bully opponents, if we were to play Stoke City with Hazard, Marin, Mata and Oscar in the team, they would get knocked off the ball rather easy.

Everything is a gamble - but WE (CFC) owe Essien one last chance IMHO.

He's been a fantastic player for us, never complaining (that I can recall) and giving 100% - yes injuries have hampered his performance, but if he can shake them off and regain some form, he is still a cracking player.

Replacing him with a younger, un-tested player is a bigger gamble (again IMHO) - you do need to blend youth+experience and Essien certainly has the experience.

Plus - where else would you see a fantastic smile like that - the guy never stops smiling, that has to be a postive/calming thing both in the dressing room and on the pitch.

Really concerned that some people don't recognise that Footballers are also 'human people' and as such, normal events that affect us, also affect them. I mean if you're a computer programmer and injured both hands, it would take a while to get back to typing good code quickly, you would want YOUR employer to be patient wouldn't you, after all, you programmed some awesome code previously....?

We need to keep a 'family' atmoshphere at CFC and not be so mercenary, otherwise, we'll be no better than Man Shitty...

Everything is a gamble - but WE (CFC) owe Essien one last chance IMHO.

He's been a fantastic player for us, never complaining (that I can recall) and giving 100% - yes injuries have hampered his performance, but if he can shake them off and regain some form, he is still a cracking player.

Replacing him with a younger, un-tested player is a bigger gamble (again IMHO) - you do need to blend youth+experience and Essien certainly has the experience.

Plus - where else would you see a fantastic smile like that - the guy never stops smiling, that has to be a postive/calming thing both in the dressing room and on the pitch.

Really concerned that some people don't recognise that Footballers are also 'human people' and as such, normal events that affect us, also affect them. I mean if you're a computer programmer and injured both hands, it would take a while to get back to typing good code quickly, you would want YOUR employer to be patient wouldn't you, after all, you programmed some awesome code previously....?

We need to keep a 'family' atmoshphere at CFC and not be so mercenary, otherwise, we'll be no better than Man Shitty...

What a pretentious load of dribble...

First of, we don't owe Essien anything. We are the ones who are paying his wages every week, and having to stick with him every time he has a knee operation and is sidelined for 6-8 months. That's a lot of resource on one player who often unable to become productive for the team.

Second, a 23-26 year old is hardly inexperienced, its not like a 17 year old the club has decided to through in the deep end and has never played a first team game in his life. Someone like Fellaini or Cabaye would not exactly look lost on the field. Plus both are proven premier league players who ca easily replace him.

I have to laugh at the ridiculous comment about him smiling all the time, yes I can remember him smiling after he gave that stupid needless handball in the game against City that set the cogs to turn for us to turn. I was ready to whack him on the head with a cricket bat for that. And the computer programme metaphor is a bit questionable, its much different to a footballer (who relies on strength and dynamism) having 3 knee operations. That has a huge effect on a footballer as he will now have weakened knees for the rest of his career, a computer programmer is much more able to get back into his grove.

Again some fans are getting way to sentimental and are desperate to drag out two decent performances in pre-season as a sign that the old dynamic Essien is back. I'm sorry but 2 decent performances in pre-season does not cancel out 2 years of utter tripe that he has given for us. He should be replaced with out question, like Malouda I'm just waiting for him to churn out another long period of drivel which will result in me ripping out my testicals and cutting off my tongue in frustrations. And this whole idea of keeping some sort of family atmosphere sounds like something that belongs to a shitty romance novel.

What a pretentious load of dribble...

First of, we don't owe Essien anything. We are the ones who are paying his wages every week, and having to stick with him every time he has a knee operation and is sidelined for 6-8 months. That's a lot of resource on one player who often unable to become productive for the team.

Second, a 23-26 year old is hardly inexperienced, its not like a 17 year old the club has decided to through in the deep end and h as never played a first team game in his life. Someone like Fellaini or Cabaye would not exactly look lost on the field. Plus both are proven premier league players who ca easily replace him.

I have to laugh at the ridiculous comment about him smiling all the time, yes I can remember him smiling after he gave that stupid needless handball in the game against City that set the cogs to turn for us to turn. I was ready to whack him on the head with a cricket bat for that.

Again some fans are getting way to sentimental and are desperate to drag out two decent performances in pre-season as a sign that the old dynamic Essien is back. I'm sorry but 2 decent performances in pre-season does not cancel out 2 years of utter tripe that he has given for us. He should be replaced with out question, like Malouda I'm just waiting for him to churn out another long period of drivel which will result in me ripping out my testicals and cutting off my tongue in frustrations.

Hope you do rip out your testicals and cut out your tongue - and do me a favour - hack of your hands as well so you cannot type any more bollox...

Go back to FIFA or FM - where you can sign Fellani and/or Cabeye and make yourself happy - if you've got the bollox or hands to do it of course...

Having an 'angry @ post moment'....

Hope you do rip out your testicals and cut out your tongue - and do me a favour - hack of your hands as well so you cannot type any more bollox...

Go back to FIFA or FM - where you can sign Fellani and/or Cabeye and make yourself happy - if you've got the bollox or hands to do it of course...

Never knew you had such a love interest in Essien. For god sakes he is one player in a world that has thousands of professional footballers, easily replaceable. I'm sorry if that hurts you and makes you cry, but that is the harsh reality. If we do sell him (I hope0 why don't you go support that team due to the harsh decision that the club rightfully thinks is the best thing.

Essien is simply holding us back, this a time to look towards the future and embrace exiting talent like Hazard and Oscar 9as well as the likes of Ramires), not hanging with has-beens who can't stay fit for two consecutive seasons.

Haha.the Stewie sig makes it more intense.

Never knew you had such a love interest in Essien. For god sakes he is one player in a world that has thousands of professional footballers, easily replaceable. I'm sorry if that hurts you and makes you cry, but that is the harsh reality. If we do sell him (I hope0 why don't you go support that team due to the harsh decision that the club rightfully thinks is the best thing.

Essien is simply holding us back, this a time to look towards the future and embrace exiting talent like Hazard and Oscar 9as well as the likes of Ramires), not hanging with has-beens who can't stay fit for two consecutive seasons.

There aren't thousands of players like Essien. Tiote, Yaya Toure and perhaps even Ramires (not exactly the same) are the closest players to Essien. Plus if Essien got back to his old form he'd be better than all of them. So basically if your willing to take a "second rate" player in Tiote (who we would have to play a whole shitload of dosh to Newcastle for) rather than wait and see if the Bison gets back to his previous self then you sir are crazy. The last 2 years were very start and stop for him, he had injuries in both seasons that held him back so I'd wait and give him this season to see if he can regain his form, hopefully in an injury free season.

There aren't thousands of players like Essien. Tiote, Yaya Toure and perhaps even Ramires (not exactly the same) are the closest players to Essien. Plus if Essien got back to his old form he'd be better than all of them. So basically if your willing to take a "second rate" player in Tiote rather than wait and see if the Bison gets back to his previous self then you sir are crazy. :P

Tiote has become one of the best players in the Premier league, Essien was great when he was a fully fit player, but he was not some sort of world class player that would make it in the team of the year squad. Plus he will never get back to his best, since his best attributes were physical and a lot of physical damage has been done to him.

You sir, are in dreamland, while I'm firmly in reality and thinking critically. Not to mention he is 29 (30 in December), so his so called prime years have mostly been spent on the sidelines.

Yup fair enough - my last post was very childish - like I said - post rage :D

No hard feelings and all that... :halo:

I still think Essien has something to deliver this year, but lets agree to disagree... I definitely agree with Oscar, Hazard and Marin et al - that is our future...

Yup fair enough - my last post was very childish - like I said - post rage :D

No hard feelings and all that... :halo:

I still think Essien has something to deliver this year, but lets agree to disagree... I definitely agree with Oscar, Hazard and Marin et al - that is our future...

One thing you will learn about me is that I take a very hard-line and business like approach to football players. I'm not afraid to critically throttle players in the club who are adored by most Chelsea fans (look on my views on Lampard) and are seen as untouchable by some . That's just me.

Tiote has become one of the best players in the Premier league, Essien was great when he was a fully fit player, but he was not some sort of world class player that would make it in the team of the year squad. Plus he will never get back to his best, since his best attributes were physical and a lot of physical damage has been done to him.

You sir, are in dreamland, while I'm firmly in reality and thinking critically. Not to mention he is 29 (30 in December), so his so called prime years have mostly been spent on the sidelines.

Yeah he has had the same injury on his knee 2 or 3 times. Still he has got a lot of years left in him, hopefully he can get close to what he was before. I would rather he stayed than going out and signing Tiote as it would be hard as fuck to convince Newcastle to sell for him less than 20-25 million. Also Tiote is good yes but I think hes overrated slightly (especially by Newcastle fans). He wouldn't plug the gap the old Essien did, he would be a second rate option imo. If we were going to replace Essien it would have to be someone who is nearly is/as good as he was a few years back and the only player suitable would be Yaya Toure (who is playing for cunting Man City sadly). I'd keep one eye on Victor Wanyama though, guys defos got talent I just don't know if he'll develop into a pure beast like old Ess! Hes only 20 now but he has the attributes to be considered.

One thing you will learn about me is that I take a very hard-line and business like approach to football players. I'm not afraid to critically throttle players in the club who are adored by most Chelsea fans (look on my views on Lampard) and are seen as untouchable by some . That's just me.

That's cool with me - every board needs a logical, dispassionate view. I'll admit - after spending the weekend watching Chelsea TV and the former years, I probably have rose-tinted glasses on and for a few mins last night (2:50am in Salzburg) Essien had glimpses of that player I'd just been watching on Chelsea TV.

As the saying goes "One swallow doesn't make a summer..." - but despite all that - my heart is telling me Essien has the potential for a great season...

Bizarrely, Football is perhaps the only place I let 'emotion' run my thought process - perhaps because in work have to be very clinical...

The debate around Lamps is an interesting one - I'll certainly check out the thread and take a look which colour glasses I'm wearing :D

Since when has 10-12m been pocket change, are you mad?

If we could get even close to that amount I would consider it to be very good business and while I understand that a fully fit Essien would be worth a shitload more than 10-12m, we also have to see the other side of the coin and realize that keeping him is a high risk too. What I mean by that is that if he injures his knee again for the fourth time, it would be over for him. He is under contract till 2015 and it would be very expensive to keep a player with such high wages and not get any sort of return for the money. By selling him we would not only make a decent amount of money from the transfer fee, we would also get him off the payroll and that's what I'm more concerned about if he stayed at the club and failed.

If he continues to impress in pre-season, I wouldn't be against keeping him either.

Yeah im sorry I didnt state it better, to us I'd rather risk the 10-12 million in hopes he will get back its all really cross-benefit ratios we are dealing with, you believe its less likely he will come to form and we have more than enough talent for him to be replaced whereas I think he may be able to play at a top level and we can swallow 10-12 million if he doesnt. I see you have a very valid point and think the board has a tough decision to make

Lets just see how he gets on in pre season. If he is consistant like he was yesterday (he bossed the midfield) in all the pre season games then he definatly deserves a starting spot against Man City/Wigan.

thats a BIG IF but since no one seems interested in buying him we might as well see IF it works out . Essien was a GIANT but I thought

injuries had finished him. Nothing would give me greater pleasure to admit I was wrong to write him off.