Michael Essien

LDN Blue

• 2 weeks later...

It was only pre-season, but wow, some small signs of the old bison back?

I hope we get some return to his old self, cause with Mikel and him in the DM we are set.

Not to mention that being big and strong will help us a lot giving that we have a bunch of smaller players.

Hazard was great yesterday, Marin and Lukaku also did well. McEachran showed flases. All of those things I expected.

But boy did Essien excite me the most yesterday. Maybe it's not the case with everyone, but I am a huge Essien fan and he really did look great yesterday. I was so happy. Just pray to God he doesn't get another injury and we have a big big surprise bonus on our hands for next season.

selling him is the most stupid thing ever. he's not worth much on the market because of his injury problems but he is showing signs of his old self. bossed the midfield after he came on against good players in verrati and pastore.

he is the ideal partner imo to oscar in CM. he will allow oscar to dictate the play.

I hate to sound like a heartless business man, but I think we should use these good performances by Essien to get a better price for him in the market. He's not young anymore and is still, despite these signs, a BIG gamble. He is still rated highly in the world despite his injuries, we should take advantage of that before he gets older and we have to let him go for free.

whats the most we get for him 10-12 million? thats like pocket change for us, id rather take the risk that he fails in hope maybe he can comeback because that would mean if we had the old bison back, we could with hazard/mata/rambo/essien have one of the most powerful and dynamic midfields in the world.

whats the most we get for him 10-12 million? thats like pocket change for us, id rather take the risk that he fails in hope maybe he can comeback because that would mean if we had the old bison back, we could with hazard/mata/rambo/essien have one of the most powerful and dynamic midfields in the world.

But is 12m pocket change with the FFP rules?

Since when has 10-12m been pocket change, are you mad?

If we could get even close to that amount I would consider it to be very good business and while I understand that a fully fit Essien would be worth a shitload more than 10-12m, we also have to see the other side of the coin and realize that keeping him is a high risk too. What I mean by that is that if he injures his knee again for the fourth time, it would be over for him. He is under contract till 2015 and it would be very expensive to keep a player with such high wages and not get any sort of return for the money. By selling him we would not only make a decent amount of money from the transfer fee, we would also get him off the payroll and that's what I'm more concerned about if he stayed at the club and failed.

If he continues to impress in pre-season, I wouldn't be against keeping him either.