Asmir Begovic

That's exactly why I don't think he should come here. He's actually a great goal keeper and I think there's many places, even in Europe, where he'd go and be their #1.

But if he wants to come, it would be a great line up of Thibaut-Asmir as #1-#2

Some quality keepers don't actually mind for some weird reason, Reina went to Bayern knowing he will never displace Neuer, Toldo and Cudicini stuck around despite their teams replacing them in the lineup with Cesar and Cech respectively, if Begovic is another one of them we will be mad not to take him, even if we have to pay a bit and offer high wages for a number 2, id rather that than a keeper that will give me shivers every time he has to play.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some quality keepers don't actually mind for some weird reason, Reina went to Bayern knowing he will never displace Neuer, Toldo and Cudicini stuck around despite their teams replacing them in the lineup with Cesar and Cech respectively, if Begovic is another one of them we will be mad not to take him, even if we have to pay a bit and offer high wages for a number 2, id rather that than a keeper that will give me shivers every time he has play.

Yeah, it's strange isn't it? But the GK position is one where I guess a goalkeeper doesn't mind being second fiddle at a big club because they will get a good amount of exposure, knowing a single keeper won't play the entire season and it's only really a 2-man position in the overall matchday squad.

And definitely agree to the latter. Years of having Hilario have been bad enough, I still continue to remember his howlers especially against Man City

Yeah, it's strange isn't it? But the GK position is one where I guess a goalkeeper doesn't mind being second fiddle at a big club because they will get a good amount of exposure, knowing a single keeper won't play the entire season and it's only really a 2-man position in the overall matchday squad.

And definitely agree to the latter. Years of having Hilario have been bad enough, I still continue to remember his howlers especially against Man City

I seem to be in the minority but i think Hilario wasn't anywhere near as bad as was made out, that City game unfairly tainted what was overall a decent if not spectacular 5 years as no 2-3 keeper (he played his last game in 2011).

He struggled a bit when he had to play a run of games like in Christmas 2006 we started to concede goals for fun, but to come in for a one off game, or a run of 3/4 (like against Barcelona and Liverpool) i never had an issue, certainly not in the Cudicini, Begovic bracket off back up, but certainly head and shoulders above Turnbull.

I seem to be in the minority but i think Hilario wasn't anywhere near as bad as was made out, that City game unfairly tainted what was overall a decent if not spectacular 5 years as no 2-3 keeper (he played his last game in 2011).

He struggled a bit when he had to play a run of games like in Christmas 2006 we started to concede goals for fun, but to come in for a one off game, or a run of 3/4 (like against Barcelona and Liverpool) i never had an issue, certainly not in the Cudicini, Begovic bracket off back up, but certainly head and shoulders above Turnbull.

Ah yes, the infamous Ross Turnbull :lol: now I've definitely got shivers down my spine!

You know thinking about it, we've been incredibly lucky with the calibre of goalkeepers we've been blessed with. Where United & Arsenal struggled with life post Schmeichel & Seaman respectively, we've had it relatively easy. Bonetti, Beasant, de Goey, Cudicini, Cech, Courtois. In between that there was Schwarzer too!

We've not been shy go after others either. Iirc, this isn't our first approach for Begovic (I believe Carlo went for him?) and it wasn't too long ago we wanted Butland, before he settled on Stoke.

Ah yes, the infamous Ross Turnbull :lol: now I've definitely got shivers down my spine!

You know thinking about it, we've been incredibly lucky with the calibre of goalkeepers we've been blessed with. Where United & Arsenal struggled with life post Schmeichel & Seaman respectively, we've had it relatively easy. Bonetti, Beasant, de Goey, Cudicini, Cech, Courtois. In between that there was Schwarzer too!

We've not been shy go after others either. Iirc, this isn't our first approach for Begovic (I believe Carlo went for him?) and it wasn't too long ago we wanted Butland, before he settled on Stoke.

Thankgod, one of my best mates is a Birmingham fan and i saw a lot of games Butland played for them and lets just say, i would actually have expected Ross to save some of the shots he let in, would have been an awful signing in my opinion, i genuinely shit myself when he was linked.

Re Begovic, yeah in 2010, wanted it to happen then and do again now :lol:

Thankgod, one of my best mates is a Birmingham fan and i saw a lot of games Butland played for them and lets just say, i would actually have expected Ross to save some of the shots he let in, would have been an awful signing in my opinion, i genuinely shit myself when he was linked.

Re Begovic, yeah in 2010, wanted it to happen then and do again now :lol:

Well let's not forget Butland's age, he was around 19/20 back then? Even now, he's only 22 so he's got time to live up to the potential he seems to show. But yeah, for us it would've been a case of loan & sell.

8M and Moses? Fuck off, Just Moses straight up is enough.

How they can demand Moses on top of cash when Begovic has one year on his contract ? Unless the payment will be very small number or Moses goes on loan again.

Villas odds to sign Begovic have been cut massively today. They're 2/1 out of nowhere. They really do need a goalkeeper.

Begovic, at the age of 28, has won nothing and if I was him and such trophy-winning team came and show real desire to take him, I'd jump on that train. If he won't fancy number 2 spot for 2 years, he can then leave actually winning something and there'd still be plethora of clubs interested in him. I can't imagine that he jump now from one midtable side to another.

Villas odds to sign Begovic have been cut massively today. They're 2/1 out of nowhere. They really do need a goalkeeper.

I'll take Guzan if they want Begovic that badly. The American isn't bad at all, he's a great shot stopper from what I remember.

Begovic, at the age of 28, has won nothing and if I was him and such trophy-winning team came and show real desire to take him, I'd jump on that train. If he won't fancy number 2 spot for 2 years, he can then leave actually winning something and there'd still be plethora of clubs interested in him. I can't imagine that he jump now from one midtable side to another.

Agree with this. Begovic has plenty of years left in him to move to a club where he plays week in week out. He can afford to give a couple of years to have a go at playing for a top club as that chance may never come again.

Moses doesn't fancy permanent Stoke move

Just give them £8m of the Cech money and be done with it.

If true, it's a great example why player swaps are rare.

But I can't but notice that the article hasn't mentioned any quotes from Moses about Stoke transfer.

It'll come down to whether he wants to go to Villa and earn say 45-50k a week and play every single game more or less.

Or (if we do bid)

Join us, earn roughly 10-20k more per week, but perhaps play every FA Cup and League Cup game, aswell as CL group games (which he supposedly wants to play in) for example. But only the odd PL game when Courtois is injured

I think he could decide to come here actually. He's 28 and still hasn't won any real trophies in his career. We already tried to sign him (before he went to Stoke) and since then we've won the Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and Carling cup. He may be regretting it.

He may decide to give it a go for a season or two (sign a 3y contract) and then move back to some other PL club to keep playing regularly.

On the other hand, Jose can give him FA cup and Carling cup games with a promise of fair competiton with Courtois.

Might just work.

I think he could decide to come here actually. He's 28 and still hasn't won any real trophies in his career. We already tried to sign him (before he went to Stoke) and since then we've won the Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and Carling cup. He may be regretting it.

He may decide to give it a go for a season or two (sign a 3y contract) and then move back to some other PL club to keep playing regularly.

On the other hand, Jose can give him FA cup and Carling cup games with a promise of fair competiton with Courtois.

Might just work.

begovic knows he won't get to be the first choice keeper until courtois is around. begovic is a great keeper but courtois is world class

Might just work.

He wanted to come but Stoke blocked the move, he refused to play a Carping Cup game because of it.

Sky sources understand Chelsea are the favourites to sign Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic.

Earlier in the week we reported Aston Villa had made an offer for his services but the Premier League champions are in pole position for his signature.