test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MCM4PR3Z

Rumoured Toby Alderweireld

Started by MCM4PR3Z,

68 members have voted

1. 1. Would Toby Alderweireld be a good player for our squad?

• Yes, he can become a starter here
    • Yes, he would be a decent squad member for our 60+ games
    • No, not at all

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

131 posts in this topic

According to rumours in the media, we would exchange Filipe Luis for Toby Alderweireld this summer with Atlético. Alderweireld plays on loan this season for Southampton. He is a Belgian international and can perfectly play centre back and right back. He has had a very good season.

At this topic, you can see the Southampton fans are crazy about him. A lot of them think he's their best defender of the past 25 years (page 2):

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?53983-Toby/page2#.VUoNkJP0xg8

TheIceMan likes this

He's good, but if we're going for a CB I'd rather we signed Varane. If that is not possible then I would rather get in someone like Otamendi or a proper right back like Clyne. Alderweireld would be like a last resort signing IMO.

Tbh his functionality in the squad is already covered by the likes of Ivanovic and Zouma.

CFC888, Stingray, Strike and 1 other like this

He's good, but if we're going for a CB I'd rather we signed Varane. If that is not possible then I would rather get in someone like Otamendi or a proper right back like Clyne. Alderweireld would be like a last resort signing IMO.

Tbh his functionality in the squad is already covered by the likes of Ivanovic and Zouma.

Ivanovic is leaving according to the rumours. If that is the case, I would welcome him with open arms. To be fair, I think he is too good for Southampton, he has played at a really high level this season. And I don't say that because I'm Belgian, the Southamptonfans say the same if you see the link in my opening post.

I can also say as a Belgian that Kompany and Vertonghen play really bad this season ;).

Cant see Ivanovic leaving, one of Mou's favorits without a doubt.

Alderweireld is maybe an option if Cahill is leaving imo. Than we'll have Alderweireld, Terry and Zouma as CBs, Iva, Azpi and Luis as FBs.

I haven't actually watched him play properly for Southampton. How's he doing?

Ivanovic is leaving according to the rumours. If that is the case, I would welcome him with open arms. To be fair, I think he is too good for Southampton, he has played at a really high level this season. And I don't say that because I'm Belgian, the Southamptonfans say the same if you see the link in my opening post.

I can also say as a Belgian that Kompany and Vertonghen play really bad this season ;).

I've seen plenty of Alderweireld, I have followed Ajax for years. I can't see Ivanovic leaving at all, hence why I can't see this signing happening at all, and I wouldn't even entertain it because of that.
LDN Blue likes this

I haven't actually watched him play properly for Southampton. How's he doing?

I'd read what the Saints message board has to say about him in the link above. They think he's cut above and is their best defender in 25 years to paraphrase.
LDN Blue likes this

Would be a fantastic addition to our squad. Him and Milner would be brilliant players to strengthen us.

Good defensively, good crosser when he's playing on the RB(better than Ivan in that aspect) but that's not what we need atm, we just don't have the aerial presence to be threatening that way during non-set pieces.

does he play as a LB? i mean if luis is sold and we get toby, we would be down to 0 proper LBs.

selling bertrand was a major mistake

selling bertrand was a major mistake

What about the fact he wanted to leave to play regularly? you can't keep everyone happy with squad roles.

What about the fact he wanted to leave to play regularly? you can't keep everyone happy with squad roles.

can you blame him that he wanted to play regularly when he was watching cole put in a mediocre performance match after match. iva has been shaky and shady in defence at best. azpi GC JT ryan could have been an awesome back 4.

can you blame him that he wanted to play regularly when he was watching cole put in a mediocre performance match after match. iva has been shaky and shady in defence at best. azpi GC JT ryan could have been an awesome back 4.

Iva gets a lot of critiscm but him and Bertrand have the exact same major weakness to there game.

Both let too many crosses into their box (it's how we got our goal at Stamford Bridge vs Saints) yet Ivan gets lambasted for it but no one brings it up about Ryan because it doesn't suit the "completely solid with no flaws" line people throw in his direction.

Iva gets a lot of critiscm but him and Bertrand have the exact same major weakness to there game.

Both let too many crosses into their box (it's how we got our goal at Stamford Bridge vs Saints) yet Ivan gets lambasted for it but no one brings it up about Ryan because it doesn't suit the "completely solid with no flaws" line people throw in his direction.

Ivanovic has another weakness, he runs up the pitch to join the attack and most of the time, he looks like a headless chicken

He is a good CB, but a very average RB at most. I don't want him here.

He's technically sound,cheap, and proven at the PL level. For a squad that needs CB depth he's a smart purchase.