Chelsea 2004-05 vs Chelsea 2014-15

And I really can't criticize manager for doing so. Maybe Guus wanted to search the ground first, after all Barca-style was unknown for everyone.

We hardly created any chance but Barca didn't either.

But rematch was fantastic if you include the fact that Barcelona just beat Real at Bernabeu by biggest margin in history. They were absolutely flying going to Stamford Bridge.

Rematch was not fantastic! 3-5 chances, not one went in. And that goal still stings.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rematch was not fantastic! 3-5 chances, not one went in. And that goal still stings.

It was fantastic. Many chances, many clear penalties, fantastic on the counter, Malouda vs Alves :D, Messi completely left out of the game, Eto'o probably the worst game in Barca shirt. We'd have won this game comfortably 9 out of 10 times.

It was fantastic. Many chances, many clear penalties, fantastic on the counter, Malouda vs Alves :D, Messi completely left out of the game, Eto'o probably the worst game in Barca shirt. We'd have won this game comfortably 9 out of 10 times.

Terrible refereeing, Ballack chasing down Ovrebo (that was hilarious), tension you could feel deep in the forests of Sudan, a legendary last minute goal, the whole world against Chelsea and everyone supporting Barca, Drogba facing the camera afterwards with a look in his eyes that could kill.

Yes, the match had everything. I still don't remember it fondly though. Maybe one day I'll be able to watch it again.

I have never felt so confident about a Chelsea side as I did in 04-05 and 05-06. Every game we played I just couldn't see us losing. Simply a beautiful and stunningly strong team. They would beat the current Chelsea side 8/9 times out of 10 imo.

I have never felt so confident about a Chelsea side as I did in 04-05 and 05-06. Every game we played I just couldn't see us losing. Simply a beautiful and stunningly strong team. They would beat the current Chelsea side 8/9 times out of 10 imo.

I disagree and on current form reckon it has a 0-0 or possibly a 1-1 written all over it 8 or 9 times out of 10.

The defence of 04/05 was outstanding but I also beleive the majority of teams in the premier league were not as strong as they are nowadays. So therefore easier to defend against....since then especially in the last few years, all the teams have money and

even those teams near the bottom have decent first elevens they can put out.

So, the defence of 04/05 would be hard to breakdown but Hazard and Costa would ( on their day) give them serious concerns.

Would the attack of 04/05 give modern day Chelsea problems? .... Drogba was still raw and quite often not that good....sometimes a front 3 from Gudjohnson, Cole, Duff and Robben ( when not injured) was used in a type of false 9. Again like this current side they could dig in and get a 1-0 ( think

they had a lot more ) when required.

So all in all....low scoring draw for me

Terrible refereeing, Ballack chasing down Ovrebo (that was hilarious), tension you could feel deep in the forests of Sudan, a legendary last minute goal, the whole world against Chelsea and everyone supporting Barca, Drogba facing the camera afterwards with a look in his eyes that could kill.

Yes, the match had everything. I still don't remember it fondly though. Maybe one day I'll be able to watch it again.

Yeah, I don't have it in me to rewatch it. It doesn't feel like it's been 6 years because the anger and hurt is just still so fresh. Coincidentally, today is the exact day it happened back in 2009.

I remember fondly the guy where I was in East Lower by the Shed showing the Barcelona fans his real Madrid shirt....they were going mental.The rest not so much lol.Though the 'this moment is bad on the reporting of Drogba swearing but we'll show it over..and over..and over again

On topic.04/05 defiantly.Just something about them and the confidence as well.Knowing if we went 1-0 up it was unlikely to change or we'd score again whereas this season go 1-0 up and have gone a bit silly at times.Just very cautious in our play at times.

04-05 lost more games than this side though. But yes, 04-05 was extremely tough to play against.

The 04-05 team only lost one game all season and that was to an Anelka penalty mate can't you remember lol ?

If we win the league next season + FA cup + at least CL semifinal, then we can start comparing 04/05 team with this one. But until then there's no doubt that 04/05 was a better team.

I don't think it's fair to suggest that the 14/15 side is better just because it suffered fewer defeats overall.

We lost fewer domestic games in 04/05, and whilst that side did lose more European games (4 compared to 0), 2 of those defeats came after the round of 16. This year we didn't even progress beyond that stage but if we had then we would almost certainly have ended up losing at least one game in the CL, and progressing further in the competition may also have led to more defeats in the PL.

I don't think it's fair to suggest that the 14/15 side is better just because it suffered fewer defeats overall.

We lost fewer domestic games in 04/05, and whilst that side did suffer more European defeats (4 compared to 0), 2 of those defeats came after the round of 16. This year we didn't even progress beyond that stage but if we had then we would almost certainly have ended up losing at least one game in the CL, and progressing further in the competition may also have led to more defeats in the PL.

If you're talking about me, I never suggested that. That kind of reasoning is far too simple.

The two sides can not be compared imo. Different times. Chelsea ranked higher back then, the differences in terms of quality were slimmer back then, and there were no superclubs in Bayern, Real, and Barca back then. European champions Milan struggled to get past PSV. They had a good side but they were nothing special (referring to PSV). Porto and Monaco in the final a year before. Football has changed a lot in just 10 years.

If you're talking about me, I never suggested that. That kind of reasoning is far too simple.

The two sides can not be compared imo. Different times. Chelsea ranked higher back then, but the differences in terms of quality were slimmer back then, and there were no superclubs in Bayern, Real, and Barca back then. European champions Milan struggled to get past PSV. They had a good side but they were nothing special (referring to PSV). Porto and Monaco in the final a year before. Football has changed a lot in just 10 years.

Wasn't referencing anyone in particular. I just saw that stat mentioned a few times on this page and thought I'd point out how it could potentially be misleading.

The lack of any European super clubs back then only makes the fact we didn't win the CL in Jose's first spell all the more regrettable. I do think the 04/05 side was stronger mentally and defensively, although this side is (or at least was in the first half of the season!) better on-the-eye and in terms of individual talent there isn't too much difference. How the two sides would fare together in the same era though is anyone's guess.

Think the premier league was easier back then......but at the end of the day, how many and which players would get into the 2004 side from this lot.

not many. infact to be honest, iva, cesc and hazard are the only one who would make it.