Chelsea 2004-05 vs Chelsea 2014-15

Now we've won the title, Jamie Redknapp said he still prefers our 2004-05 title winning team over the current one.

Cech

Ferreira Carvalho JT Gallas

Makalele

Tiago Lampard

Duff Drogba Gudjohnson/Robben

Courtois

Iva GC JT Azpi

Matic Cesc

Oscar/Rambo

Wil Costa Eden

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-chelseas-premier-league-winners-5633749

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/574814/Chelsea-Jose-Mourinho-Jamie-Redknapp-Success

Which one do you prefer?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team is really good and only going to get better but the 2005 one over this one for me. They were ridiculously good and the closest we had to a weakness was Paulo who was still a very good full back.

However this group are still evolving so maybe the comparison will be more accurate in 2/3 years time.

We can't even compare both teams. 04/05 Chelsea was easily one of the teams of that decade. That team really deserved to win the UCL that season, and I'm sure the team was going to beat Milan in that final. That ghost goal was a big frustration.

The current team is only a shadow of that team. Mourinho was at his peak. The team was solid and lethal, far from boring.

Agree with most people - 04/05 for sure.

But this 14/15 group has been and will be top of the league from start to finish in a league that offers the toughest competition across Europe.

So maybe my answer is.. i dont know. :blink:

This team is really good and only going to get better but the 2005 one over this one for me. They were ridiculously good and the closest we had to a weakness was Paulo who was still a very good full back.

However this group are still evolving so maybe the comparison will be more accurate in 2/3 years time.

It would be better to compare squads rather than teams...missing from 04/05 are players like Glen Johnson, Wayne Bridge and Joe Cole amongst others who all had a decent amount of minutes on the pitch. Likewise with this seasons squad, there will be a few players that could be added.

I think Drogba and Robben were both a weakness in that 2004 team. Robben had a difficult start with an injury but did produce some electrifying performances but just wasnt quite consistent enough for me, and Drogba although was OK at time took a long time to adapt to the premier league and didnt show proper consistent classy performances until a couple of years later so I agree that the comparison would have been better for a different season.

So for me the 04/05 team upfront would be any 3 from Robben, Duff, Cole, Gudjohnson and sometimes Drogba who at times looked very raw and certainly nowhere near the polished article of later years.

Who from the 04/05 team would get into todays team and vice versa....well they played different systems for a start so hard call.

As great as 2005 was i think it was almost inevitable we were going to win the league. Personally it would have meant more to me if we won it in 99. We only lost three games all year and one of them was the first game of the season. The look on Chelsea fans faces when we drew 2-2 against Leicester still gives me nightmares. Walking down the Fulham Road in stunned silence all because of Steve fucking Guppy.

Not a big difference individually, but the collective was stronger.

It's hard to compare though. Different times. No 'super clubs' in Real, Barca and Bayern back then. PSV for example had a good side back then, but far from special, and they were competitive in the CL back in those days (so unlucky not to make the final btw, they were so close). The likes of Inter, Lyon, PSV, Bayern in the quarter finals. Inter weren't that good back then, same for Bayern. Liverpool too. The gap between the top 6-8 sides in Europe and the rest was smaller back then. Now there's no comparison, with less and less 'shock results'.

So hard to compare for me. But still, that was a very strong collective. Very tough to beat. Juve looked like that old Chelsea side yesterday.

They are roughly the same level. If we were to pick a best XI, I'll take more players from this team than that one. That team gets overrated a tad too much. I just think no other manager at the time could understand Mourinho's tactics, especially the way his team's were organised without the ball. It's no surpise in Mourinho's second season, when other managers became more accustomed to his team, the 2005-2006 side as a whole slightly regressed, despite it being improved on with Essien. This team also has more individual quality and difference makers than that other team. I'm convinced this team would have beaten that 'Pool team that knocked us out of the CL.

The 2004-2005 side lost 6 games in all competitions, this team has only lost 3 games all season in over 50 games. This team also has similar record breaking achievements to that team. Most days at the top (200+), least amount of minutes behind all season (171!), which is simply outrageous if you think about it.

This current side is getting a bit to underrated probably because we got knocked out by PSG in the manner we did. In retrospect, it will be probably be rated higher some time in the future. For me it's right up there with that 2004-2005 as the best teams we've ever had.

And I think this has already been done before in the past. No point starting a new thread about it referencing the worthless words of Jamie "he has a brilliant football brain" Redknapp.

I did it because we've won the league now. In the past we compared a title winning team with a team with potential, now we've won the same like that year: title + league cup.

There's no comparison. the 04/05 Chelsea wins by a landslide. More ruthless, more efficient, more balanced, better depth and surprisingly far more entertaining. That team actually went toe to toe and matched or bettered some of the best teams in Europe at the time i.e the likes of Barcelona, Arsenal,Liverpool and so on. Can you imagine this current team going up against Barca successfully without parking the bus like we did that season?

There's no comparison. the 04/05 Chelsea wins by a landslide. More ruthless, more efficient, more balanced, better depth and surprisingly far more entertaining. That team actually went toe to toe and matched or bettered some of the best teams in Europe at the time i.e the likes of Barcelona, Arsenal,Liverpool and so on. Can you imagine this current team going up against Barca successfully without parking the bus like we did that season?

Ruthless relative to the chances created, yes. This team has scored more goals and creates more chances. That team didn't create nearly as many. More entertaining? Maybe more than what we've seen in the 2nd half of the season, but not in the 1st half. 1st half of the seaosn was better than anything that side produced.

Also, you can't really compare that Barcelona to this current one. This current one is clearly stronger than Rijkaard's team.