Your ideal team for next season ?

I think we need to strengthen in the areas where we are already the strongest. And that would be the central/defensive midfield.

In my opinion, 90% of our problems this season occurred because of four reasons:

1) Cesc and Matic (and Oscar) were tired because of lack of rotation (= lack of quality back-up players)

2) Cesc can't defend (we were overrun in midfield in games like Spurs etc.)

3) Terry is slow and we can't play high line (this makes the role of midfield players even more demanding)

4) Sometimes we were unable to kill the games (lack of quality in finishing)

So for the two first reasons, we can certainly do something. Third part is something that is going to be there nevertheless and we just have to deal with it for another season at least. That means than Azpilicueta is going to play the left-back. Fourth part is something that we can improve from within the team as Costa is now more adapted to the league, Hazard has become better at finishing, Willian has found the fantastic form ever since the signing of Cuadrado.Also, Cuadrado has all summer to get used to the team and the league. And then there is Remy, who is fantastic finisher but just can't get rid of injuries. I hope this season has helped him a lot as he hasn't played that much and has received the top treatment from our health department.

So we should definitely get some serious upgrades in to the midfield. We need a player in the mould of Cesc and another player in the mould of Matic. In an ideal world, we would sign Verratti and Schneiderlin. Verratti has the quality to not only be a backup for Cesc but also push Cesc to the bench in the big games and this competition would add another dimension to our midfield play. That would add some much needed rotation as well. Schneiderlin is a fantastic defensive midfield and has very good long passing range as well. These two signings would cost about 50-70 million euros, so some players would have to be sold. Oscar and Mikel would be the most obvious players to be sacrificed in this scenario. Then our midfield would look like this:

Verratti

(Loftus-Cheek)

Matic Cesc

(Schneiderlin) (Ramires)

Or in big games:

Verratti/Cesc

(Willian)

Matic Scheiderlin

(Ramires) (Loftus-Cheek)

That would be the best and most balanced midfield in the world right there! Selling Verratti would allow PSG to buy Pogba. Only problem is that Real would be challenging to buy Verratti as well. Well, if they would buy him, they would also have to sell somebody, probably Modric. That would still allow us to buy Modric and Scheiderlin, and our midfield would be fantastic nevertheless. The only problem with that is the lack of opportunities Loftus-Cheek would be getting, but we can never be sure about the injuries that might happen to Cesc, Matic and others. If both of them would get injured at the same time, our hopes of winning anything next season would be destroyed. Maybe we should sell Ramires then to add more space for RLC but I do not see that as a realistic scenario because Jose absolutely loves him (but Ancelotti loves him too and maybe we could get decent amount of money for him).

Of course buying a world class winger would be fantastic (likes of Reus, Bale, Di Maria, Griezmann) but our problems would still be in the lack of depth in the midfield. I would want to see our strikers to be Costa, Remy and Solanke (and Brown). If they would get a healthy pre-season, the probability of injuries might be lower. And, with those new players in the midfield, Chelsea could play the whole season showing that fantastic attacking football that we saw from August to December.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not surprised if we didn't sign any CM this summer. Matic, Fabregas, Ramires, RLC, Mikel more than enough imo.

Ramires and mikel perform badly like 50%of the time , and had injury problems at important times. Last chance to get decent money for them. Get rid

I'm sorry but objectivity speaking we cannot win the CL against the likes of Barca, Bayern, Real with the current squad. We will get close but will not win with the likes of Cuadrado, Oscar, Remy, Mikel etc in our squad. Yes we can defend PL but to win the CL against these quality squads we need to strengthen and add quality.

Why cant we add quality to instill fear into all teams. Lets be the best in the world!

-----Courtois

Iva Cahill Terry Azpi

-----Matic Cesc

Reus Oscar Hazard

-------Costa

Would be fantastic for smaller games.

Fore bigger games though Cesc should go higher and RLC plays deep. IMO Mikel is out this season, Mou said he'd be making a few changes and this will surely be one of them.

If I could have whoever I wanted I would sell Remy, have Charlie Austin as the backup striker, get Reus and sell one of Oscar or Willian, sell Luis and bring in an English left back, and get an English gk in place of Cech.

Ramires and mikel perform badly like 50%of the time , and had injury problems at important times. Last chance to get decent money for them. Get rid

They're both already a squad players, and don't moan sitting on the bench weeks in weeks out. Matic and Fabregas will be a starter no matter who we sign, unless we sign someone and change our formation permanently to 433, which is unlikely imo.

With 4231 formation, 2 starter, 3 backup for 2 pivot position are enough I think. No need to obsessed with signing more player in which position we are already strong, and most likely will sit on the bench most of the time either. Better spent on RW or AMC.

If you focus on their technical football performance they perform badly 100% of the time. They may do enough to play a key role for the team that is asked of them; but always leave a lot of to be asked of in terms of their technical skill.

Gareth Bale and central midfielder (Gundogan, Vidal, Koke) :dance:

Sell some players (Drogba, Mikel, Ramires, Filipe Luis) and promote some youngsters (Loftus-Cheek backup to Matić, Ake backup to Azpi, Solanke or Bamford 3rd striker, Omeruo or Kalaš backup to Ivanović). Also try to find out what to do with senior players out on loan (Moses, Salah, Romeu, Van Ginkel, Marin)

I would not miss Oscar at all ... he is good guy, but this is football. He is not consistent enough and he also lack some qualities for highest level, his decision making in final third is poor. I would rather bring in some loanee or youngster for 5th attacking midfielder alongisde Hazard, Willian, Cuadrado and Bale.

We don't need 2-3 senior players for one position, rather bring 2 quality players to first 11 and promote some youngsters or bring back loanees for backup players.

I'm sorry but objectivity speaking we cannot win the CL against the likes of Barca, Bayern, Real with the current squad. We will get close but will not win with the likes of Cuadrado, Oscar, Remy, Mikel etc in our squad. Yes we can defend PL but to win the CL against these quality squads we need to strengthen and add quality.

Why cant we add quality to instill fear into all teams. Lets be the best in the world!

What's wrong with Remy?

Isco, Varane, and Pedro boom

1st Team:

--------------------Courtois-----------------------

---Azpi-------Terry-------Zouma-------Luis---

-------------Matic--------Fabregas-------------

-Reus-------------Willian--------------Hazard-

---------------------Costa-------------------------

2nd Team (bold = on the bench):

---------------------Butland-----------------------

-Ivanovic-----Cahill----Christensen-----Ake-

-------------Ramires--------RLC-----------------

-Milner-------------Oscar-----------Cuadrado-

---------------------Remy--------------------------

Others in squad: Blackman, Bamford.

In: Milner (Free), Reus (£50M), Butland (£10M). Overall In = £60M

Out: Cech (£15M), Mikel (£10M), Drogba (retired), Kalas (£5M), Salah (£13.5M), Moses (£5M), Kane + Kakuta + Piazon + McEachren (£6.5M). Overall Out = £55M

Overall expenditure = £5M.

1st Team:

--------------------Courtois-----------------------

---Azpi-------Terry-------Zouma-------Luis---

-------------Matic--------Fabregas-------------

-Reus-------------Willian--------------Hazard-

---------------------Costa-------------------------

2nd Team (bold = on the bench):

---------------------Butland-----------------------

-Ivanovic-----Cahill----Christensen-----Ake-

-------------Ramires--------RLC-----------------

-Milner-------------Oscar-----------Cuadrado-

---------------------Remy--------------------------

Others in squad: Blackman, Bamford.

In: Milner (Free), Reus (£50M), Butland (£10M). Overall In = £60M

Out: Cech (£15M), Mikel (£10M), Drogba (retired), Kalas (£5M), Salah (£13.5M), Moses (£5M), Kane + Kakuta + Piazon + McEachren (£6.5M). Overall Out = £55M

Overall expenditure = £5M.

Most realisitc yet. One big move along with some inder the radar moves that would improve depth. I like it. And REUS!!!!!![emoji169] [emoji169] [emoji169] [emoji169]

If FFP not counts, Ideal would be doing it FM-style:

- Messi, 130£m

- Pogba, 60£m

- Varane, 30£m

- Sterling, 25£m

- Lacazette, 10£m+Remy

- Ruddy, 1£m

- Imbula, 7£m

= 263£m

- Cech, 10£m

- Mikel 10£m

- Ramires, 25£m

- Oscar 40£m

- Remy

- Cuadrado, 20£m

- Salah, 18£m

- Romeu, 5£m

- Moses, 10£m

- Drogba

- Piazon, 5£m

- Atsu, 5£m

= 150£m

I love to dream :D

• 2 weeks later...

We need an extra attacking threat - whether that's from midfield or the RW I don't think matters hugely

We need a midfield that can actually dominate games, not even necessarily in possession. That away 0-1 victory at Man City in Jose's first season should be the blue print. I think we need to replace David Luiz in midfield, his attributes of power, tackling, pressing and passing. So another Matic? Not necessarily. Matuidi, Imbulu,,Schneiderlin come to mind but I think Koke's tackling and defensive work would couple with Matic nicely in a pivot.

Those are the two priorities for me.

-----–------------------ Courtois----------------------

Ivanociv-----Cahill----------Terry---------Azpi

---------------Koke-------------Matic-----------------

-----------------------Fabregas-----------------------

Griezmann-----------------------------Hazard

------------------------Costa---------------------------

Such a flexible team! What we may lose with Willian's covering of Ivanovic we soften with Koke who has played RM loads. Without the ball we could easily have a flat 4 of Koke---Matic------Fabregas-----Hazard in front of the defence and Diego will have support on the counter. Griezmann adds movement and finishing, Costa will have more room and less focus on him. I think we'd actually walk the league again with this, and that's regardless of what other teams do in the summer.

If we can't buy both Koke and Griezmann from Atleti, and I can see that being something unlikely to happen especially in one summer, I'll just go with the reports that Griezmann looks very likely. In that case we'd need a dominating midfielder anyway, but without him I'd love to see a 4-4-2 diamond at home to teams in the bottom 10.

------------------------Courtois---------------------

Ivanovic----------Cahill--------Terry------Azpi

------------------------Matic------------------------

------------Willian-------------Cesc--------------

----------------------Hazard-----------------------

-------------Griezmann------Costa--------------

Griezmann plays second striker most of this season and that's where he's best. Him and Costa would be such a handful.

Hazard gets to play in the position that would let him become great. Willian plays deeper, where there's space in front of him.

Without the ball, easy transition to a flat 4 again in front of the defence.

Also I think this should be the season where Zouma continues to grow and challenge Cahill.