The MLS thread

samzilla

Hey, I didn't see any thread to discuss the MLS so I thought I'd create one. New players of renown (former or otherwise) to the league this year:

-Frank Lampard (NYCFC, we all know that story, lol)

-Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy, the Man U of MLS in terms of being league darlings)

-David Villa (NYCFC, the actual Man City of MLS)

-Kaka (Orlando FC).

If anyone doesn't have a team in the MLS, as a Vancouver Whitecaps supporter, you're more than welcome to support us too (especially with our Chelsea connection of liking the song Blue is the Colour so much, in 1978 we recorded our own version called White is the Colour and have been singing it ever since)! We're a young, exciting team built on pace, expected to compete for a playoff spot. We have a great rivalry with the other cascadia region teams: Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers.

These three teams are considered to have the loudest, rabid fanbases in the league. Not only do we compete for the league, but we also compete against each other for the Cascadia Cup (team with the best record against each other wins). It's a trophy created by the supporters groups:

-Vancouver Southsiders

-Timbers Army (Portland)

-Emerald City (Seattle)

The Whitecaps have won this trophy the last two seasons.

Items of Note:

-the Whitecaps' biggest achievement by far is winning the former NASL championship in 1979

-as huge underdogs, we beat the New York Cosmos (Pele's old team, though he had retired a couple seasons prior) in the semi-final en route to victory

-Raul (yes, that Raul) now plays for the New York Cosmos in the new NASL which is a professional league a tier below the MLS (it's technically not second division football since we don't have relegation/promotion). He's also the technical director of their youth academy.

-we were so enamored with the song Blue is the Colour, we recorded a version for the Whitecaps called White is the Colour

-this was covered by The Proclaimers in 2002:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a few games this season and so far they have all been really dull games, I watch a lot of A league games as well, their games are almost always very entertaining, MLS teams seem very cautious and dont seem to want to open up and play attacking football.

My Team is The New England Revolution in the Eastern Conference.

I have always been pissed off That there is not a Boston Named MLS Team because, I feel Boston, Massachusetts is better and more popular than New England, Massachusetts.

My Team is The New England Revolution in the Eastern Conference.

I have always been pissed off That there is not a Boston Named MLS Team because, I feel Boston, Massachusetts is better and more popular than New England, Massachusetts.

Ugh, Whitecaps used to have Lee Nguyen and idiot Martin Rennie (thankfully fired) waived him. He was great for you guys last year.

• 2 months later...

I watch Sporting KC games and go to a few every season, but I can't get into MLS as a league like I do the Premier League. I'll take Bournemouth v. Watford over LA Galaxy v. Dallas FC any day.

As for the Cascadia Cup, I'm throwing my support for the Timbers. My sister used to live in Portland and I like that city. I can't stand Seattle and everything about that team, and Vancouver is Canadian :P

Sporting KC adopted "Carefree" but IMO ruined it. It's the one song I refuse to sing when I'm at a game.

Things are starting to come together for Sporting KC. With the win against the Whitecaps, they're 2 points out with 3 games in hand.

I watch Sporting KC games and go to a few every season, but I can't get into MLS as a league like I do the Premier League. I'll take Bournemouth v. Watford over LA Galaxy v. Dallas FC any day.

As for the Cascadia Cup, I'm throwing my support for the Timbers. My sister used to live in Portland and I like that city. I can't stand Seattle and everything about that team, and Vancouver is Canadian [emoji14]

Sporting KC adopted "Carefree" but IMO ruined it. It's the one song I refuse to sing when I'm at a game.

Things are starting to come together for Sporting KC. With the win against the Whitecaps, they're 2 points out with 3 games in hand.

Don't watch enough MLS or Liga MX tbh. More Liga MX, but still not enough. Want to watch them more to support domestic leagues and go to games. Quality just isn't there sometimes, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Expansion of Major League Soccer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_Major_League_Soccer

MLS is currently at 20 teams, and the league plans to expand to 24 teams by 2020. The league plans to add its 21st and 22nd teams in 2017 – Atlanta United FC and a relaunched Los Angeles team. Additionally, MLS plans to add Minnesota United FC (MLS) in 2018 (or earlier, if Los Angeles is not ready in 2017) and Miami, pending a finalized stadium plan. Expanding and establishing a bigger national footprint is seen as essential to securing television rights fees needed to reach MLS's stated goal of becoming one of the top leagues in the world by 2022.

MLS TEAMS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer#Teams

the Future New Teams in MLS

Future teams
Team City Stadium Year Founded Joining League
Atlanta United FC AtlantaGeorgia Mercedes-Benz Stadium 2014 2017
Los Angeles FC Los AngelesCalifornia LAFC Stadium 2014 2018
Minnesota United FC Saint PaulMinnesota Minnesota United FC Stadium 2015 TBA
Miami MiamiFlorida Miami MLS stadium 2014 TBA (pending stadium agreement, not officially awarded)