Cech set for Summer departure

BlueLion.

Chelsea fans should prepare themselves for life without Petr Cech after the Czech international confirmed his desire for more first-team football.

Speaking to Czech newspaper Idnes on Tuesday, the Blues stopper, who is just eight appearances short of 500 for the club, confirmed that he will consider his future if he is not given assurances about future play time.

Having made just fourteen appearances this season, Cech has been starved of regular action and has, for long periods, played second fiddle to 22 year old Thibaut Courtois.

Courtois, a La Liga winner at Atletico Madrid last season, has been in sensational form at his "new" club, but Cech continues to impress whenever selected and can boast both the fact he has yet to ship a goal in the Premier League for almost exactly twelve months, and a clean sheet in the League Cup final versus Tottenham.

A source close to the player confirmed to BBC Sport that the 32 year old - who joined Chelsea for £7 million after Euro 2004 - wants more regular first-team football.

JBOGrsF.jpg'It can work for only one season'

'It works with Thibaut. But I think it can work for only one season', said Cech.

'I don't want another season of this. I still have the contract for the next season so it really depends on Chelsea a lot. It is not in my hands. But it's obvious I want to play'.

Several Premier League rivals have been touted as possible destinations - with that speculation fuelled by Cech's desire to break the Premier League record number of clean sheets.

Cech, currently on 168, requires two more to equal David James' record, but the Czech international boasts a far superior games-to-shut-outs ratio, having achieved his present tally in some 240 fewer appearances.

Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool have all been mentioned in the press, but with David Ospina and Simon Mignolet in fine fettle and Samir Handanovic lined up to replace David de Gea should the Spaniard make a move to Real Madrid, those options seem unrealistic.

De Gea's price tag - a fee that could exceed £30 million - could be a potential stumbling block for the European champions, and Carlo Ancelotti may turn his attentions towards the considerably cheaper Cech, who in 2009/10 won the Premier League's golden gloves under the tutelage of the double-winning Italian.

Should he join the Bernabéu outfit, Cech would replace legendary stopper Iker Casillas, whose considerable decline in form since Euro 2012 has seen him rotated frequently with Diego López and Keylor Kavas in recent seasons.

AS Roma were linked with a January move which was subsequently blocked by José Mourinho - and the Giallorossi could resurrect their interest. Former Blues boss Rafa Benitez, now at Napoli, could also be interested in a deal.

Internazionale would be an alternate should Handanovic replace de Gea at United - or Cech could join former team-mate David Luiz at Paris St-Germain, with Salvatore Sirigu in inauspicious form this campaign.

What seems certain is that, for the first time in eleven seasons, Chelsea fans should prepare for life without the greatest goalkeeper in their history.

Who will replace Cech?

One name recently mentioned as a potential replacement for the former Rennes stopper is Tottenham's third-choice veteran goalkeeper Brad Friedel, but it is likely that the American goalkeeper would operate as a third-choice 'keeper in a mentorship capacity, given he is now 44 years old.

Celtic's Craig Gordon has also been earmarked, whilst QPR's Robert Green, 35 and with just twelve months remaining on his existing deal at Loftus Road, may represent a value-for-money option, especially if they are unable to beat the drop and are relegated back to the Championship after just one season.

Click here to view the article

If you understood Czech, you would get an even better picture of his feelings. His answers are very curt, he seems very distant. He really, really is frustrated - pissed off. He is gone surely.

Too good a keeper to be playing second fiddle to Courtois ... For me he is still among the top 5 in the world ... As much as I want him to be a part of Chelsea team, I feel he should move out as he has a good 3-4 years at the top left. I think he could end up at Real Madrid or PSG, hope he doesn't end up with a PL side.

If you understood Czech, you would get an even better picture of his feelings. His answers are very curt, he seems very distant. He really, really is frustrated - pissed off. He is gone surely.

He shouldn't be pissed.. Cudicini was dropped by José just like him. This is how things work at a top club: a young guy becomes stronger and better and comes for his place. Cech should know it.

He shouldn't be pissed.. Cudicini was dropped by José just like him. This is how things work at a top club: a young guy becomes stronger and better and comes for his place. Cech should know it.

He has accomplished much more than Cudicini did.

He has accomplished much more than Cudicini did.

Well, Chelsea were not as strong back then, Carlo didn't have the chance to win so many trophies. My point is that Cudicini had been the nr.1 for years when Mourinho suddenly dropped him for a 22-years-old guy. The same thing happened to Cech now. He should understand that, I hope he won't have bad feelings when he leaves.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I'm going to go and cry in a corner can't loose Cech :(

We've just sealed our best defender John Terry for another year: http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/03/terry-signs-new-deal.html?cid=DM16119&bid=233696861

I'm really going to miss this calm level headed guy :(

He has been sensational and literally put his life on the line for us (Reading game)

There's no way we can see him sit and rot on the bench - I have no problems where he goes next - he has earned our respect and appreciation many, many times over.

The CL video shows how much JT loves this guy.

It will be a sad day for sure and I hope he gets a few more games between now and the end of the season to beat David James record - that would be a fitting tribute.