Instagram

Steve

I've just never felt the world needs to be interested in my instagram. But thats what hashtags are for anyway.

And people use it in different ways. But as so many people post the same kind of stuff, I'm not sure if it destroys peoples sense of community, as much as it strengthens it. I mean if I bake a lovely cake and think it would be nice to share a photo of it is that going to enhance individualism in the culture of consumerism? Does no one else bake? Does no one else like cake? Sure I bought the ingredients, but should I have grown them so that I'm not a consumer? :D just a thought, its not all bad

Well, I'm not trying to take away your cake, I promise :D

I didn't mean that sense of consumerism. It's not about the cake ingredients, but what instagram helps do is it glorifies your Chanel bag, my Nike shoes, his Toyota...etc. and increases our attachment to them. It also promotes more wasteful consumerism, because I need to buy more 'cool' stuff to post on Instagram and because my friend who I don't really like is showing off her new skirt and getting all the attention.

Obviously it's instagram is not alone, but it's a powerful tool to make you perceive the value of your life by what you own (and eat!). You buys stuff and then you have to work hard (or preferably take out loans) to be able to buy more stuff and it's useful because it's distracting from other social and political issues. And there is a huge industry, one of the biggest in the world, the marketing industry, that whole purpose is to tell you how those items define your life.

As for killing the sense of community, when the interactions between humans are limited to 'liking' each others cake pics and checking each others profiles instead of humans actually getting together, then we're already trapped as isolated individuals who do not care about one another. And that's one of the main aims of consumerism, to get people to exist separately, because that way they are easier to control and target, they consume more, and less likely to partake in the extremely dangerous act of grouping with other humans which could actually change things.

And no, it is all bad and we're all going to die and there is no point in even trying :cry:

PS: Excuse the rant. I realize that most of it probably does not make sense.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess in that case ...you must be the best as you still write very readable match reports

Haha appreciated! I wish I had more time to write for this place, but as you will know well, life as a teacher is getting in the way!

• 10 months later...