Chelsea 1-1 Southampton

Jase

I know at this time point of the season, the results are way more important than the performances but my god, that showing against Southampton was excruciating to watch. Almost cried out of despair on several occasions.

1. Why was our pressing as a unit non-existent? Several players were almost just jogging about and then there were players who actually pressed but crucially, the ones behind them didn't follow suit. For instance, when Matic and/or Fabregas went to press, the back 4 didn't even move in unison and instead, we left so much space in between the lines for Southampton to exploit.

Clearly, our slow-poke defenders were afraid of Long's and Mane's pace and if that really was the case, then for crying out loud, speak with the others and tell them not to just go blindly press and leave us exposed. Communicate! Not to mention, we kept on losing out on the second balls by not pressing together, thus unable to put any sustained pressure on them.

2. Why can't our players even make a 5/10-yard pass? Every week it's the same problem and in this game, it was absolutely appalling the number of times we gave away the ball cheaply. Ruined so many attacks!

3. Why did we play so narrow, especially against a side who defended narrow, tight and compact? Saw the image showing the average position of the players and the front 4 along with Matic and Fabregas were totally in the middle. There was no width coming from any of them. If you can't go through them, then go around them. Stretch the play!

4. Can the players actually stop moaning if decisions don't go our way? It's happened so many times it's ridiculous. If the referee doesn't give the foul, don't just stand there and throw your arms in the air, get back and do your work!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know at this time point of the season, the results are way more important than the performances but my god, that showing against Southampton was excruciating to watch. Almost cried out of despair on several occasions.

1. Why was our pressing as a unit non-existent? Several players were almost just jogging about and then there were players who actually pressed but crucially, the ones behind them didn't follow suit. For instance, when Matic and/or Fabregas went to press, the back 4 didn't even move in unison and instead, we left so much space in between the lines for Southampton to exploit.

Clearly, our slow-poke defenders were afraid of Long's and Mane's pace and that really was the case, then for crying out loud, speak with the others and tell no them not to just go blindly press and leave us exposed. Communicate! Not to mention, we kept on losing out on the second balls by not pressing together, thus unable to put any sustained pressure on them.

2. Why can't our players even make a 5/10-yard pass? Every week it's the same problem and in this game, it was absolutely appalling the number of times we gave away the ball cheaply. Ruined so many attacks!

3. Why did we play so narrow, especially against a side who defended narrow, tight and compact? Saw the image showing the average position of the players and the front 4 along with Matic and Fabregas were totally in the middle. There was no width coming from any of them. If you can't go through them, then go around them. Stretch the play!

4. Can the players actually stop moaning if decisions don't go our way? It's happened so many times it's ridiculous. If the referee doesn't give the foul, don't just stand there and throw your arms in the air, get back and do your work!

1. fatigue. played 120 mins on Wednesday the guys looked emotionally and physically fatigued in both games.

2. Fatigue. When you're running on fumes your technique goes out the window.

3. Its pretty much how we've played all year we lack natural width which is why we brought in Cuadrado. Ivanovic is the only guy who pulls people out wide.

4. I'm sure its mostly frustration.

1. fatigue. played 120 mins on Wednesday the guys looked emotionally and physically fatigued in both games.

2. Fatigue. When you're running on fumes your technique goes out the window.

3. Its pretty much how we've played all year we lack natural width which is why we brought in Cuadrado. Ivanovic is the only guy who pulls people out wide.

4. I'm sure its mostly frustration.

1. We may have played 120 minutes against PSG in midweek but I'm not using that as an excuse. We had 3 days of rest and the game against Southampton was only our second game in 14 days! Not to mention, we suddenly decided to turn up in the second half. Was that because of fatigue?

2. I take that point but again, not buying the fatigue excuse. Our inability to play the 5/10-yard passes has been happening in every game.

3. Just because we have played that way all season, it doesn't mean we should be playing through the middle all the time. There's such thing called intelligent play. Find different solution to a problem if the initial one isn't working!

4. Frustration? It happens in every game and the players should focus less on moaning about referees (maybe they have been influenced by Mourinho's agenda with referees) and more on making sure we win matches.

1. We may have played 120 minutes against PSG in midweek but I'm not using that as an excuse. We had 3 days of rest and the game against Southampton was only our second game in 14 days! Not to mention, we suddenly decided to turn up in the second half. Was that because of fatigue?

2. I take that point but again, not buying the fatigue excuse. Our inability to play the 5/10-yard passes has been happening in every game.

3. Just because we have played that way all season, it doesn't mean we should be playing through the middle all the time. There's such thing called intelligent play. Find different solution to a problem if the initial one isn't working!

4. Frustration? It happens in every game and the players should focus less on moaning about referees (maybe they have been influenced by Mourinho's agenda with referees) and more on making we win matches.

1. up to you but having watched them today and against PSG I can deduce we have a tired squad both physically and mentally.

2. If you're not willing to accept fatigue as a reason we haven't been at our best then we clearly just have a shit team. I beg to differ, Willian, who usually passes it 85% was at 78% Oscar who is usually 83% was down to 76% Hazard who is 86% was down to 78% if that's not fatigue then we've invested in the wrong players.

3. It doesn't change the fact we don't have the players who hug the touchline. we essentially have two tens playing on the wing, their natural tendencies will be to come inside. Its just how it is I don't necessarily agree with it.

4. Most fouled team in the Prem... says it all.

We were absolutely average since turn of the year (bar that Swansea game). We can be lucky we got all these positive results because if you watched us play, we should not win 9 of last 10 games.

I would accept one heavier loss and then a mind click in players and Mou heads and then watch better performances. But no, its like this every game. Passive performances, not to say that our attackers havent clicked any better than at start of season. Fuck me is Mourinho so uncapavble of instructing Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Costa to play team game in attack?

There is one example from today game. Willian has the ball on right side of penalty area. There are three chelsea players around him. NEITHER OF THEM MOVED FOR SEVERAL SECONDS. WHAT THE FUCK? They were all marked and didnt even move to get in open space, while Willian was just standing there with the ball for a miracle (typical from Willian). No wonder we cant break defences with 10 opponents inside if our players dont even move.

Also, where are the one-two's between our AMs and between wingers and fullbacks? We are absolute shit in that department.

Mourinho will not win CL ever if he will play counter attacks with these players who cant click together and defense based setup who cant keep the lead.

Ooh and another lead thrown away, well done.

I dont know what is it, but if things wont get better by end of next season, I wont be happy even if we win another PL title. To me, enjoying the games with offcourse good results is reason why I watch chelsea. But in 2015 we were shit shit and more shit. Even the games we won, we didnt dominate and in some we didnt even deserve.

2. If you're not willing to accept fatigue as a reason we haven't been at our best then we clearly just have a shit team. I beg to differ, Willian, who usually passes it 85% was at 78% Oscar who is usually 83% was down to 76% Hazard who is 86% was down to 78% if that's not fatigue then we've invested in the wrong players.

Well, considering we tend to argue about how awful Willian and Oscar can be, maybe we have invested in the wrong players...

3. It doesn't change the fact we don't have the players who hug the touchline. we essentially have two tens playing on the wing, their natural tendencies will be to come inside. Its just how it is I don't necessarily agree with it.

It might be their natural tendency but it's not like they have never attacked on the outside of the fullback before. They have and should look to do that a bit more when we aren't getting joy through the middle. Hazard has done that from time to time on the left wing!

4. Most fouled team in the Prem... says it all.

Convincing.....

If you want to win trophies by playing good football I suggest you follow a Spanish side, it rarely happens in England.

Our football was utterly abysmal at times in 2009/10, but 7-0 and 8-0 wins here and there disguise that fact. And what about our football under Mourinho the first time round? Yaaaawn.

It doesn't say LEAGUE TITLE WINNERS - CHELSEA, BUT THEY PLAYED SHIT FOOTBALL in the record books, does it?

Just be grateful for what we have, our would you prefer slick football and no trophies, á la Arsenal?

It's more about competent football than being slick though. I'd wager most fans are fine with ugly so long as it means winning.

We've played 16 games in 2015...

6 of those games have ended in draws and on every single occasion we have scored first.

2 have been defeats, heavy ones too, against weaker opposition. 5-3 away to Spurs and 4-2 at home against Bradford. Shock horror, in both games we struck first.

The 50% wins haven't always been convincing. 5-0 against Swansea was our best, but in truth, the Swans were completely off the boil that day. The next biggest win was at home Watford which frankly, you absolutely expect to be winning every time. We also have a 2-0 home win against a Newcastle team who are having a poor season. 4 other games have been 1 goal margins, with the only game with more than one goal once again seen us score first and drop the lead. That leaves the League Cup final where we scored 2 fairly lucky goals.

I knew our form was terrible but seeing it written out is actually scary.

6 points clear is all well and good and many of us will be happy with it but lets not fool ourselves. Our lead has as much to do with the overall poor quality of our direct rivals as it does us. Taken with a bit of context the 6 points suddenly don't look that large a buffer, and with 11 games to go potentially on our current form it's not hard to imagine 6 becoming 5 becoming 4 etc.

It simply isn't good enough for supposed elite team of Europe. I'll be over the moon if we win the league, but that doesn't change the fact that this side needs a serious looking at.

Well, considering we tend to argue about how awful Willian and Oscar can be, maybe we have invested in the wrong players...

It might be their natural tendency but it's not like they have never attacked on the outside of the fullback before. They have and should look to do that a bit more when we aren't getting joy through the middle. Hazard has done that from time to time on the left wing!

Convincing.....

I'll leave that for you. Me, I actually love both players, they struggle from time to time but I love how they work within the team. We've lost 3 games all year can't be all bad.

I think your beef should be less with the players and more with the system. Jose likes things compact, hugging the touchline leaves gaps to exploit on the counter.

:D

It appears that finding the net is the biggest problem now.

Somehow we ought to hodge-podge things till the end of the season, 10 matches and we are 6 (or 7 or 9) points ahead.

With better quality of opposition we might still be ahead but certainly not with such a point difference.

Tibot's performences of late are the equivalent of two attacking goals. He almost saved Southampton's penalty too.
I 'm unhappy now Schurle is gone. He had fresh legs and could be useful and he was not like Saleh who really never made it. The element of speed in attack is missing.

I am very much of the opinion that United will be a very daunting opposition next season.

Maybe others too - it' s a question of budgets but the reds are on the way back after two years in the wilderness and they
have money too. United had the highest attendances when they were playing in the second division (the Frank O' Farrel year).

After the exit all the big talk we have the premier league to win and players also have the desire to win PL all seems like a big but load of BS.

It's the truth, it's not big talk but some freshening up is required. I see some legweariness.

Still very disappointed about this game in all honesty. Yes it's 6 clear but like I said yesterday, I am greedy.

Still, trying not to dwell too much, Hull game is massive. I'm confident on this game, it's away and I feel the players seem more relaxed and less pressure away.

Come on lets really kick on.

That first half was a disgrace but second half we were fuckin brilliant. Applying pressure, closing down spaces, winning headers and really determined to get the 3 points but Foster came up with some great saves. In all honesty, southampton deserved that point. We've been on a dire streak as far as our performances go but still plenty to look forward too. Upmost trust in Jose. He wants that title more then any of us.

Well I'm really disappointed with the performance yesterday and the game showed that we're in huge trouble at the moment. The second half was much much better than the first, but guys, it was Southampton and we were playing at home. We need to win these games to win the title. There will be more and more pressure after every game and the team doesn't look like they can handle it. Everyone wants Mou to rotate but who do you want to bring in? Cuadrado is off his shoes, Remy and Drogba aren't better than Costa, Ramires played well yesterday but he is shakey as well. I don't know whats the problem with Fabregas. In the first half of the season he was brilliant.

The team needs a good and solid performance against Hull to fix the problems. They need to get the confidence back. Otherwise it will get very close in the end since all Liverpool United and Arsenal will smash us if we perfom the same way like yesterday!