The Loan Rangers (Omeruo, Bamford, Kalas)

Special Juan

We have three lads out on at Middlesbrough, here Mark Sadler takes a quick look at their progress.

Kenneth Omeruo - Ken was loaned back to Boro for a second loan last year and it's been a bit of an up and down time for the Nigerian defender. Aitor Karanka has rotated a lot this year, especially with his back line, and with that it's been in and out for Ken, who has spent much of the season trying to force his way in. Standing in his way is not only our own Tomas Kalas but also Daniel Ayala; all vying for that one spot alongside Ben Gibson, who is somewhat of a main stay in the Middlesbrough back line. I have watched him closely this season and he has been very solid. He's looked composed and confident every time and just needs a run of games to edge his way back to being a regular starter. I'm not sure what the future holds for Ken in all honesty, I don't think he's been given enough time this season to show his quality due to rotation, and if I was to answer honestly I would say he will be on loan elsewhere come next season. 7/10

Patrick Bamford- I think this lad has been great so far this season. One thing with Bamford is you get 100% all of the time, every game and any given situation. What has pleased me the most about his loan is how Karanka has deployed him out wide and also centrally, and he hasn't looked out of place in either. Like I said regarding Omeruo, Karanka likes to rotate and Patrick has had both Kike and Jelle Vossen to compete with. He's led the line a few times and also played out wide, normally supporting Kike setting up in a 4-3-3 line-up. I watched him against Bolton where he started the game centrally - he found it tough; he was well marshalled by David Wheater, but at the same time really put it about, and that is what I like - he never gives up. Patrick has spoken out about how he would like more chances to play centrally and I think he will get it, but make no mistake about it, he has been a massive factor why Boro are where they are right now. 31 appearances and 12 goals for Patrick so far, keep it up! 9/10

Tomas Kalas - I was fortunate enough to meet him the day he signed on loan for Boro; this lad is a top player, make no mistake about it! He's just started to find his way into the team now. He started both games against Bolton and Sheffield Wednesday alongside Ben Gibson and looked as solid as a rock in both games. I was at the Bolton game and what stood out for me was his aerial ability - he really is solid in the air, he brilliantly commanded the back line in that game and never gave Emile Heskey a moment's rest. He's started a few games at right-back, too, and never looked out of place, but again he's got the competition of Omeruo, Ayala and not only those, but if needed at right-back he has Fredricks to compete with too. Competition is healthy at Boro and I think Kalas is proving a really good loan in the north east, the Boro fans like him a lot and right now he seems to have cemented a starting spot in the team. 8/10

Competition is healthy at Boro right now and I personally think our loan boys are doing just fine. It's difficult when such a rotation policy is in place, but that's football now, squads are big and the one at Boro is both big and healthy. I'd love to see these three push Boro onto promotion because I think they have been a big part of their current league position, and I think none of these players would look out of place in a regular Premier League side.

More to follow on our loans boys as they push for promotion with Middlesbrough!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos on the title pun :lol:

I still think that Omeruo probably has the highest potential of the three. I'd really like to see him somewhere in the PL next season.

I think he's a brilliant player, problem being, like I said is, he isn't getting a solid run because Karanka keeps switching it around. I was having a debate with some Boro fans on Sunday and I said that Karanka must stop all this mass changes, he did it against Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday and they lost both games. Tomlin has been one of Boro's best performers this season, he was benched against the two teams I mentioned....that's not good when they are in a push for the PL. He made 7 changes for the Sheff Wed game and changed formation.