Benedikt Howedes

RoyalBlues

Chelsea ‘close on Benedikt Howedes as he confirms transfer plans’

Chelsea have been given the green light to sign Schalke’s Benedikt Howedes after he confirmed plans to move to the Premier League.

Blues scouts are known to be watching powerful centre back Howedes ahead of a possible transfer at the end of the season.

Manchester United and Arsenal are also keen, but Chelsea lead the race, and the German World Cup winner has revealed he plans to move to England.

‘I owe Schalke a lot, I have had a great experience during my time here,’ he told Bild.

‘However, if I were to imagine moving abroad to experience a life in a foreign country, England would be my destination.’

Howedes, who is rated at about £17million, is famed for his tough-tackling and aerial prowess.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/18/chelsea-close-on-benedikt-howedes-as-he-confirms-transfer-plans-5069096

It's metro, but I assume the quote might be real. If we are really interested, I could see we are getting him.

Captain of Schalke. Höwedes was also one of three German players who played every minute of all seven World Cup games, alongside Nwuer and Lahm.

Höwedes main playing position is as a center back, but he can also be deployed as right or left full back and as a right or left wing back. Very versatile. Jose should like him, lol.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like he's Germany's Cahill. He could be a hit under the right manager, because he does have everything, but whether he has that intangible quality which separates the good from the greats remains to be seen. I think he could be moulded into a future captain but then again I'm more in my Fifa mindset than real life one rn.

I feel like he's Germany's Cahill. He could be a hit under the right manager, because he does have everything, but whether he has that intangible quality which separates the good from the greats remains to be seen. I think he could be moulded into a future captain but then again I'm more in my Fifa mindset than real life one rn.

You're actually comparing Cahill to Howedes? The difference between them is that Howedes wouldn't look out of place at any top european club....as for Cahill, he'd be lucky to be on the bench at other top clubs

You're actually comparing Cahill to Howedes? The difference between them is that Howedes wouldn't look out of place at any top european club....as for Cahill, he'd be lucky to be on the bench at other top clubs

That is harsh on Cahill and flattering for howedes. He is good but not great. A poor man's Ivanovic. One of our worse WC winners. But no other decent lb available. Extremely solid defensively though. But already 26...

That is harsh on Cahill and flattering for howedes. He is good but not great. A poor man's Ivanovic. One of our worse WC winners. But no other decent lb available. Extremely solid defensively though. But already 26...

Thinking that defenders peak in their mid 20s. This is the new meta.

I asked a Schalke fan about this and this was his reply.

i'd say hes criminally underrated. he's certainly not worse than boateng nor hummels. i'd even go as far as to argue he is probably better. heres my reasoning as for why: benny has been extremly consistent over the years. hes brings the experience of a 32 year old defender with merely 26 already. in the youthteams he always has been first choice defender over both boateng and hummels. he established himself in a very strong defense back then (with kristajic, bordon and westermann) at a very young age and never really lost his spot. while both boateng and hummels had bigger outliners in their performances, benny has been the most consistent from the three of them. the thing is though, boateng and hummels both had or have their great seasons when their team was good. höwedes performed on a similar level with a at times mediocre schalke side. his worldcup performance alone shows his defensive strenght and versibility. he was thrown in as a leftback, despite never playing that position before and being right footed, yet he was a defensive anchor and the only infield player of germany that played all possible minutes at the worldcup. while boateng might have improved significantly over the years, im not so convinced that he would be performing as well as benny is if he wasnt surrounded by that bayern defense. he was rather mediocre in hamburg and didnt really shine in city to my knowlegde either. and as for hummels, you pretty much see this season how much he struggles when the rest of his teammates arent performing either.

benny can organize a defense and lead. hes a fighter and isnt afraid of going into 1 on 1's. his opening passes are okay, but his strenght is his defensive abilities. pair him with someone that can cover for him when he goes into his challenges and he is a superb player. but he can also play the covering part well enough. extremly strong on the header aswell and a danger in setpieces. he intercepts, challenges and lays off quick passes to start a counterattack. and he got a fighters heart.

i dont see any team in the world where benny wouldnt be able to start. that being said, he embodies schalke. while he said that he might consider playing outside of germany in the future, i doubt he would transfer to a team that isnt able to challenge for the championsleague title. so teams like arsenal are certainly out of the equation. i could see him moving to chelsea for a decent sum. that being said, with all that benny has done for the club, im pretty sure if he really wants to go that the club wont throw stones in his way. 25 million euros seem like a realistic transferfee for him.

im convinced if he would play in any other team then schalke people would cream themselves over his skill. sadly (or luckily) he doesnt and as such is often overlooked. was the same case with neuer. while neuer was still playing for us he wasnt worse than he currently is. he pretty much was a onemanshow at times. yet adler got picked over him by bundesjogi at first and rarely people talked about him being the best goalkeeper in the world.

He is certainly a proactive defender which is what we're lacking at the moment. Interesting option, but for me Varane remains by far the best choice.

As far as I'm concerned we're a CB short anyway. We only really have JT, Cahill and Kurt. Cahill isn't good enough and should be replaced, but he's English and we need him to meet homegrown quotas. I like Howedes and rate him highly as a very consistent, solid-if-not-spectacular centre-half, though.

As far as I'm concerned we're a CB short anyway. We only really have JT, Cahill and Kurt. Cahill isn't good enough and should be replaced, but he's English and we need him to meet homegrown quotas. I like Howedes and rate him highly as a very consistent, solid-if-not-spectacular centre-half, though.

CBs don't need to be spectacular, they need to be solid. The anthithesis to David Luiz, if you will.

But that's what we said about Cahill :lol:

Cahill is solid, not as good as Howedes though. I don't know why the supporters have gone from fellating him to crucifying him in the matter of weeks. He is just going though poor form, it will pick up again hopefully.

Well actually we don't have to sell Cahill to sign Howedes, we could have both in our team. I don't think we should count Ivan as a CB anymore, because Jose trusted him as a RB ultimately. The one who is obvious will make away, if Howedes coming, is Christensen. Also Howedes is very versatile player, he could be very useful as a backup in every position of back 4.

We are not forced to sign English player, because we don't have any HG and non HG quota problem. We have kids to fulfill HG quota. We still have 2 non HG free place.

Well actually we don't have to sell Cahill to sign Howedes, we could have both in our team. I don't think we should count Ivan as a CB anymore, because Jose trusted him as a RB ultimately. The one who is obvious will make away, if Howedes coming, is Christensen. Also Howedes is very versatile player, he could be very useful as a backup in every position of back 4.

We are not forced to sign English player, because we don't have any HG and non HG quota problem. We have kids to fulfill HG quota. We still have 2 non HG free place.

When was the last time Ivan played as CB for Chelsea? Has he ever?

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You