Ashley Cole

Madmax

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/20/ashley-cole-offers-eight-clubs-chelsea-transfer-psg-monaco

As 8 clubs are keen to sign Cole, I would like to ask, how come he was not good enough for Chelsea?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/20/ashley-cole-offers-eight-clubs-chelsea-transfer-psg-monaco

As 8 clubs are keen to sign Cole, I would like to ask, how come he was not good enough for Chelsea?

I don't get it, we need him :(

I don't get it, we need him :(

Because those clubs don't have Azpilicueta?

Please be careful here. Your opinion might be considered that you are trying to derail this thread.

As I already said this morning, something is seriously wrong if Cole is let go.

Lol don't act like such a victim.

Why would Cole take a bench role on reduced wages for a one year deal? All those teams will pay him top money for TWO years. He's as good as gone.:/

I said a few days ago I didn't see him staying, and tbh, he shouldn't.

Mourinho didn't give him some bad treatment as some here implied. Azpili played better than him at the end of the day and that's what got him in the team.

That doesn't take anything away from what Ash is to his club, what he's done and what he means to us.

I think he was struggling a lot with the defending when the matches piled up. At the end of the season he was able to play well because he was well rested, but the age seems to have caught up with him. He seemed out of breath quite enough times before Azpili displaced him.

I'm sad he's leaving, but at the same time I think there was no point of keeping him if he could still do something somewhere else (in Mourinho's system he wouldn't have much of a chance).

I also don't get the Lampard comparisons. Lamps had a better season than Ash did. I'm not saying we should give Lamps a new contract, but he wasn't as out of form as Ash was at some points and then there were the injuries too. I wouldn't be surprised if Lamps leaves or if he stays, but it was sort of obvious Ash was leaving.

We may replace the player, but replacing the man will be difficult. I wish him the best and I'm very thankful for everything he did for us in those 8 years. Proper legend, he's left as one of us.

Lol don't act like such a victim.

Why would Cole take a bench role on reduced wages for a one year deal? All those teams will pay him top money for TWO years. He's as good as gone.:/

So you are saying he left on his own?

One of footballs best unkept secrets. When he came over to us at the end of the Cardiff game , it was obvious it adios Ashley.

I do think theres more to this than meets the eye, and will be in the inevitable book when he retires.

I'm guessing he was offered a contract from Chelsea but he probably has much better options on the table as well.

My guess is that he goes to Monaco or makes a u-turn and accepts what Chelsea offered. He could go to a weak league but I don't think he's fallen off that much yet.

So you are saying he left on his own?

I'm saying they lowballed Cole, and he thought best to seek other adventures. He was mistreated this season. Can't disagree with him. As for the club, they thought best to replace an aging leftback, can't really blame them either.

I'm saying they lowballed Cole, and he thought best to seek other adventures. He was mistreated this season. Can't disagree with him. As for the club, they thought best to replace an aging leftback, can't really blame them either.

I agree on both points. I said the same earlier. Cole was not used enough & he should have been.

The right move for both parties. Cole is still good enough to play very good LB for someone but just not at Chelsea level anymore. I'd be surprised if Aziplicueta is the starter there next year though. He had a very good year as an extremely defensive player in an extremely defensive system but if we want to improve, Chelsea need to get a LB who can offer more in the attack as well. I'd be shocked if we don't buy a left back.

I also don't get the Lampard comparisons. Lamps had a better season than Ash did.

Spot on. Lamps held together that midfield at points in the season, mainly before we signed Matic.

If you look at our defenders then we have a very nice spread of ages from older guys like JT (33) to guys in their prime (Cahill, Ivanovic) to guys approaching their prime (Azpi) to young guns (Ake, Kalas, Zouma). That simply isn't the case in midfield and there's also the point that Lamps could be a coach too.

I agree on both points. I said the same earlier. Cole was not used enough & he should have been.

Absolutely. He should have been used more, it's a shame he wasn't. But Azpi was better defensively and Mou wanted a defensive team. I hope he can still perform at a top level and win some trophies, not at the expense of Chelsea, obviously :P, but I think it was the right move for both parties involved. Still sad about it though.

The right move for both parties. Cole is still good enough to play very good LB for someone but just not at Chelsea level anymore. I'd be surprised if Aziplicueta is the starter there next year though. He had a very good year as an extremely defensive player in an extremely defensive system but if we want to improve, Chelsea need to get a LB who can offer more in the attack as well. I'd be shocked if we don't buy a left back.

I dont think this is the case.

Cole probably wants a multi year contract and Chelsea isn't going to give it to him, so he is going elsewhere.