New Premier League TV Deal tops out at £5.16B!

That is a crazy amount of money! But how much of it will actually go to the clubs'? Well according to Scudamore, 3 billion will go to the government in taxes! That is insane!

£340m is supposed to go into youth development... lol. All that means is the clubs will have more resources to poach young talent around Europe earlier so they will qualify as homegrown.

Also included in the package is the rights to broadcast games on Friday! Did Jose finally get his wish? This will greatly impact Champions League teams not only in the recovery department, but also in terms of tv revenue. One would have to assume the friday games would be reserved for the Champions league teams mainly... I wouldn't want to be trying to get around London on a Friday evening though!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that it was 50% directly to the clubs and then another 40% is divided up depending on where teams finish. I think that was what I saw but might be wrong. Either way it is an absurd amount of money that won't trickle down to the fans in a positive way which is all too reflective of businesses in this country.

Friday games were announced in October I think. There will not be that many of them IIRC, not as many as there are Monday night football. I doubt Jose had much influence, it is just another timeslot they can sell for more $$$. Shame really as there will be hardly any 3PM kick offs. I would prefer if it totally replaced mnf

......and still all premier clubs pay the majority of their staff, cleaners, caterers, nothing more than the legal minimum wage -£6.50 an hour. Fucking disgusting. At least Chelsea pay their staff the 'living wage'.

Then they say at the end of the season everyone played a part from the boot cleaner up lol its a farce.

Sky has strengthened its position as the home of sport and unrivalled choice for sports fans by winning the UK rights to 126 live Premier League matches a season from 2016-17 to 2018-19.

Good/Bad?

Bad, Sky are useless and BT was supposed to win the rights. :P But for 160+ matches on TV we should get more in the UK like the USA and Canada who get to watch a match they wish.

Hope.

+ games will be on Friday too.

This is a quote from Uli Hoenes from back in 2013. It still applies because they're prices are still low. 104 pounds being the lowest priced season ticket at Bayern:

'We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charged £300. We'd get £2m more in income but what's £2m to us?

'In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan.

'We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody.

'That's the biggest difference between us and England.'

I know things aren't as simple as they seem, but it's hard to argue his point.

It's a case of supply and demand. They charge a lot of money because they can. Because they know the fans will put up the money.

This is a quote from Uli Hoenes from back in 2013. It still applies because they're prices are still low. 104 pounds being the lowest priced season ticket at Bayern:

I know things aren't as simple as they seem, but it's hard to argue his point.

It's a case of supply and demand. They charge a lot of money because they can. Because they know the fans will put up the money.

Not to mention in Austria - Bayern have done a deal where for €50 euros - you can get the train (return) and a seat at the game!!!

For me to see Chelsea it's £200 €245 euros!!! £100 train, £50 ticket, £10 parking and some scran/beers