The Gary Neville Appreciation Thread

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well deserved shout out for Gary. He's one of the few pundits who are objective and call it like they see it. Also very knowledgeable regarding the game of football and makes Jamie Carragher look like an absolute moron which isn't hard to do under any circumstance.

He isn't the best pundit in the world. But he's honest, he has no particular agendas, and he is the most impartial (obviously he is slighted biased towards Manchester United but that is entirely understandable) of any pundit on English television at the minute.

• 1 month later...

Only pundit that's always fair and impartial. Smart guy. Only one who defended us against the witch hunt yesterday.

I've chosen to ignore/avoid the reaction of the media and non-Chelsea fans. How bad is it? They must be loving this.

I've chosen to ignore/avoid the reaction of the media and non-Chelsea fans. How bad is it? They must be loving this.

Throwing around words like 'pathetic', 'disgusting', 'disgraceful', 'ugly'. Definitely some harsh words that don't apply to hassling the ref a bit. Maybe if a few more calls went our way we wouldnt feel like that was an appropriate reaction, but the way things are we have to fight for every decision.

Neville though, defended us like a level-headed knight in shining armour.

I don't want people defending us, I want our players to stand up and deal with what we have left now. We must now react in the league by not dwelling on this, and contrary to what Neville says or anyone else for that matter it's up to the manager and group to wake the fuck up.

Only pundit that's always fair and impartial. Smart guy. Only one who defended us against the witch hunt yesterday.

Can't fault him, I don't agree with Oscar rolling around like he'd stepped on a landmine but its true english teams have been naive in Europe to say the least, exactly as he said.

I don't want people defending us, I want our players to stand up and deal with what we have left now. We must now react in the league by not dwelling on this, and contrary to what Neville says or anyone else for that matter it's up to the manager and group to wake the fuck up.

I didn't mean about our performance. Our performance was undeniably awful. But he understood as a player that you will try and influence the ref, and its been a part of the game. I think its important to have a fair perspective like that, instead of a knee-jerk 'Chelsea are disgusting/pathetic/disgraceful', like Carragher who is a hypocrite. And after playing at PSG and failing to get any calls its not surprising when some players are going to make a song and dance when they're tackled.

Regardless I think personally its the language that is being used that stings a little, and I'm happy to have Neville on our side.

The reaction of Carragher, Souness etc to our supposedly physical approach in the game yesterday was ridiculous and blown out of proportion. You would think that we had murdered someone on the pitch out there with the way they were calling us disgraceful, awful and all that. What we did was hardly anything worse than what other teams had done to us in the previous matches and nothing was said then. Pathetic.

Gary was criticising us during commentary but unlike the scousers on the show it wasn't out of bitterness. He seemed genuinely disappointed: he clearly rates us and Mourinho very highly and wants English teams to do well in the CL. Like the rest of us he couldn't believe we were playing with such a lack of intensity. Still he defended us from all the vitriol about crowding around the ref, saying it was nice not to have a naive English side. Oh, and this is great too: