Who takes the penalty? Hazard or Costa?

Stats

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the penalty? Hazard or Costa?

• Hazard
    • Costa
    • Let the players decide between themselves

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was Drogba's penalty record like before that game? Had he even took much? He took some after which I know off but not before that game. Costa could have scored all his penalties for Atletico but I still would want Hazard as the penalty taker.

hadn't taken many that year but i remember a graphic showing he'd scored his previous 5

However, that brings me to another issue. In case of a penalty shootout, who would be your five players you would want to step up? Hazard, Fabregas, Drogba, Costa, Oscar? Assuming all of them will be still playing after the 120-minute mark. Other candidates? Maybe Luis? Our penalty shootout record is not among the best ones so it would be a nice change to have more players perfectly able to convert from the spot.

yeah. those are pretty much the ones i'd go with. people who have faced the pressures of a penalty before. Maybe add Remy to that?

As for Diego, I am not so sure about him being a poor penalty taker. I have seen him score a few but also miss some, okay. I will always remember his penalty against us at the Bridge. It convinced me that he is the man to lead our attack.

I wouldn't call someone who failed to score 4 penalties last season a good penalty taker. I wouldn't want him to take PKs for us when we have players who take PKs better.

Alright. Little debate me and CMS have been having in the Lampard thread. When we beat Wigan a few seasons ago 8-0 to win the league title under Ancelotti, CMS believes Lampard showed signs of selfishness. We were 1-0 up at the time and we had a penalty to make it 2-0. This was a must win game, otherwise United would have won the title. Anyway Drogba wanted to take the penalty as he was aiming for the top goalscorer award and threw a little strop because Lampard, the designated and most reliable penalty taker refused and he took it himself which he converted.

CMS believes this is proof of how selfish Lampard is. I disagree as I state it is club before player. We had plenty of minutes remaining to score more goals and for Drogba to achieve that personal award which he ended up doing. We also got another penalty in that game which Lampard had no problem in letting Drogba take as the game was secured by then.

No offence but I wonder how much of CMS' point of view there had to do with Lampard playing for Manchester City right now and how much of it is objective. If Lampard was selfish in that situation, then what about Drogba? Wasn't he being selfish as well, wanting to take the penalty for his own personal glory rather than focusing on the team's? We may be 1-0 up then against 10 men but there was no guarantee we were going to win that game until we make sure of it, even with 70-75 minutes still to go.

Moreover, Drogba hardly took our penalties back then and we don't know how reliable he was. What if he blew it? Lampard, on the other hand, was our first choice and we knew he's extremely reliable from the spot. So, him taking the spot kick at 1-0 was the right and logical decision. Had he not given the second penalty to Drogba when we were 4-0 up (IIRC), then he is selfish. Otherwise, no. The team's success comes before the individual's.

This. Didi asked for the one in CL against Maribor this season and Eden gave it to him.

And Mourinho wasn't happy after the game as well. So unless the game is totally safe, it's highly unlikely Mourinho will allow anyone else but his designated first choice penalty takers to convert from 12 yards.

Hazard's technique isn't that great if the goalkeeper stands up. He scores so often because he waits for the keeper to bend their knee, indicating which way they intend to dive. If you stay still, as Maribor's Jasmin Handanovic and Jesper Hansen of Nordsjaelland both did, it makes it difficult for Eden as he has to try and open his foot to put it in either corner from very close proximity to the ball. I don't think it'll be long before more goalkeepers work that out tbh.

Hazard's technique isn't that great if the goalkeeper stands up. He scores so often because he waits for the keeper to bend their knee, indicating which way they intend to dive. If you stay still, as Maribor's Jasmin Handanovic and Jesper Hansen of Nordsjaelland both did, it makes it difficult for Eden as he has to try and open his foot to put it in either corner from very close proximity to the ball. I don't think it'll be long before more goalkeepers work that out tbh.

That's what I've thought as well and I was never sure if I was impressed with Hazard making keeper's fall for it every time or I was confused as to why every keeper refuses to stay still.

But hey, it's working at the moment and I would back Hazard to adapt and improve even if keepers begin to figure him out.

I love DD more than life itself, but saying that lamps was selfish and DD was right is pure bullshit. The team comes first and if lamps was truly selfish then he would have taken the second pen too.

I know everyone is pissed at lamps but let's not say bs like this one .

Hazard would let Costa take the penalty; he wouldn't argue with him and act like he's single-handedly saving the world from a meteor.

lampard has always been self centred and stubborn.

That clip was back in 2000. Him and Di canio went at it for more than 1 minute.

I also remembered him pulling that crap under AVB, Mata was our primary penalty taker at the time, he came on as a sub against City at the bridge and pretty much bullied mata into relinquishing the Penalty duty in that game.

I think Balo has the best technique tbh. He does something similar to Eden in that he waits for the keeper to move, but if the keeper doesn't he is able to put sufficient power to blast it past the keeper.

lampard has always been self centred and stubborn.

That clip was back in 2000. Him and Di canio went at it for more than 1 minute.

I also remembered him pulling that crap under AVB, Mata was our primary penalty taker at the time, he came on as a sub against City at the bridge and pretty much bullied mata into relinquishing the Penalty duty in that game.

Tbf, judging by Mata's penalty record for us, was that a bad thing?

Tbf, judging by Mata's penalty record for us, was that a bad thing?

Mata was so awful at the spot haha.

Lampard's ego definitely played a part in him always wanting to take the PKs. But with his record, I can't blame him and I'd always want him to take them as well. Didn't he go over 4 years without missing a single PK? That was astonishing.

Mata was so awful at the spot haha.

Lampard's ego definitely played a part in him always wanting to take the PKs. But with his record, I can't blame him and I'd always want him to take them as well. Didn't he go over 4 years without missing a single PK? That was astonishing.

Good question actually.

There was that miss vs Charlton in 2006 and then the FA Cup final vs Pompey, if there wasn't one in between then yeah.

Then again Didier was almost flawless from the spot for us, apart from WHL (which ironically he took instead of Frank) I can't recall him missing one.

Imagine to yourselves that Costa had a good penalty conversion rate. Similar to Drogba's or so, would you feel he should take the penalty in this instance? I personally would still want to see Hazard take it. Players always say that the team comes first so I still feel it should be no different.

i think one day, when Chelsea get a penalty in a tense situation in a cup or league match. Hazard should just run in like Lampard and blast it. Will completely wrongfoot the keeper