Tottenham 5-3 Chelsea

Jase

I was going to write a match report but I'm in such a shitty, hypercritical mood that if any of the players read it they'd break down in tears most likely.

• Gary Cahill is a fraud. I like "safe" defenders, but Cahill is about as safe as a used condom at the minute. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Go in at half-time 1-2 down and we'd probably have turned it around. The penalty ruined the game from our perspective.
  • John Terry getting on the scoresheet should not cover up what was an equally hopeless defensive performance from him. Woeful. Okay, I rate Kane highly and think he has a great future ahead of him, but today you'd have thought Terry and Cahill were marking Maradonna.
  • Every player in Chelsea blue - except Eden Hazard and Diego Costa - were hopeless today. The worst team showing in a long, long time. We made Spurs look like Bayern Munich. Even Courtois was poor.
  • Just a horrible performance, I feel sorry for Watford because José will probably play his strongest line-up and destroy them now.

I agree with most of what you were saying but Costa?? I thought he was poor. Looked quite decent first half but apart from that was dominated in every other angle of play and was frustrating. What summed it up for me was his selfish attempt at the end when he should have done the smart thing and look up and play it across the goal.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If ivanovic and Cahill dont get dropped or a stern talking to, ima lose it.

How every goal was scored on Ivanovich's side, and with Cahill backing off Kane for days, our right side of defense was exposed today. Zouma cannot be that much worse as a CB, and why Luis wasnt brought on and then Azpi put on the right is beyond me. For a manager that is crazy about defense, it seems Ivanovich is beyond criticism

Hazard was fucking unreal today! He alone, looked focus and dedicated to the cause. He keeps delivering masterclass performances almost every game. Set up a beuty for Salah, and also for Azpi, unlucky those didnt get the finishes they deserved.

It was just one of those games. I wouldn't draw too many conclusion from todays match. Yes, this game proved once again that Cahill maybe isnt Chelsea first team material but he wasnt the only defender that dissapointed today. In general our defence played very bad game. And some people are hilarious saying we are one man team. Like I said - that was THAT bad day for us. Matic, Fabregas played worse than usual. Hazard was terrific and TODAY he was carrying us in attack, but I repeat - that was today. When Cesc is playing on his usual level, same as Nemanja and our defence is not so shit then we had good balance in squad. Of course - Eden is one of the best, but we are not one man team. Calm down and onto to the next one ;)

Does anyone here have an answer to this simple question. Why is Remy, who was one of the best strikers in the league and is in the prime of his career get shunned even when we're desperate for a goal, so much so that even Salah get's picked ahead of him? And especially since he's impressed most times he's played not just with his goals but with his link-up play and techical ability? It's a rhetorical question for me, but I just like to know what fellow TC members think about the treatment of Loic Remy this season.

Demba Ba answered your question last year, I'm afraid.

Either that, or Remy took a shit in Mourinho's sandwich.

Same old story when we play a team with width

We concede and normally down the right hand side

Time for Azpi RB and Luis LB - sorry Jose you can't get away with Iva anymore.

Matic looked fucked and that's poor rotation from Jose

Willian - poor and should be considered a sub

Oscar - normally good but off the pace

We need a CB and a RW like Hazard for the right hand side

Jose has pushed too hard and now has to learn the hard way.

But still top of the league a long way to go yet and maybe the wake up call the club needed :)

It was a shocking result but I guess.... at least we are still top alphabetically but we must do better we started so well this season I thought we were looking awesome.

We need to re-find our earlier form please, I really want the league :(

The reality is: Hazard-Oscar-Willian is just not that good. We only get away with it because Hazard is world class and does things by himself, and then there's also Fabregas pulling the strings from behind. It's a real shame our backups are just as average.

(I could lay into the defenders like everyone else, but they can be better protected by Mou. While the attack just can't/won't improve)

City do not impressed me.

Lost their 2-0 lead again, in the other one Burnley were not taking their corner kicks as if they were securing the CL final with the 2-2 draw.
Today's result imho came about as a result of unnecessary overexposure and after the 1-2 we were chasing them.

It was a Brasil - Germany situation in miniature.

Germany against a savvy Brazil were going to have a hard time to get by, but Brazil thought they were playing against some amateurs.
Something similar happened today. We did not try to slow things down a little when we were 1-0 up and Tottenham were obviously not useless as an opponent.

Defensively we were fucking abysmal!! Cahill in particular was complete horseshit. He is clearly struggling badly and needs a spell on the sidelines. Zouma needs and deserves his chance.

Fabregas (bar the ball for the Hazard goal) was also shite today IMO. His set pieces were fucking atrocious. It doesn't happen often so I'll put it down to a bad day at the office for him.

Willian and Iva other notable shite performances.

Offensively I thought we did very very well. Hazard, as everybody has already said, was different gravy. Head and shoulders above the rest. We need to get this guy on an 8 year contract for me.

Away form is becoming a bit of a concern. 1 win in 5. Needs to be addressed fast!

Shit night, put it behind us with an 8-0 demolition of Watford and all is forgiven :lol:

OK where do I start. What an awful start to the New Years. We lost 5-3 and I went out in the fantasy cup and who did I leave as my first sub? Kane... I subbed him out for Sigurddson 5 minutes before the 11.30 deadline. It just was not meant to be my day.

Anyway on the performances, bar Hazard and Fabregas in some ways, we were absolutely awful. I don't know what else to say really. I was really annoyed with Costa today. Apart from the goal was bloody awful. Away from home I think it is clear that we are going to have to see Fabregas pushed further forward quite often. At home, Matic and Fabregas is fine but away from home it just is starting to get caught out more and more.

Regarding Luis, it was not one of his better days against Southampton however does that warranty him being left out the squad completely? No. Yes we have a big squad but it begs the question as to why the hell did we have both Remy and Drogba as subs if we did not bring them on and that is why leaving Luis out the squad seems more bizarre as you think about it. If Luis was a sub I am 100% sure Mourinho brings him on for Azpi at H/T. Assuming Luis is fit, it was a poor error of judgement by Mourinho as he would of added more of an attacking impetus and is naturally left footed. Look at Man City for instance. They rotate between Clichy and Kolarov however if Clichy is starting you rarely see Kolarov left out the squad. Why? Plan B. Kolarov provides the attacking impetus needed if they are struggling to break down teams and it works more times than not for them and Mourinho can't assume we are going to wipe every team off the floor and I think it is important that when Azpi starts we should be having Luis on the bench all the time because he may have just helped this evening.

Anyway this is another lesson learned. I am sure we will recover and there is definitely a few lessons learned today for Mourinho. I am still confident by the end of the season we will be lifting the PL title. Football is not played on paper but I look at the amount of difficult fixtures City have compared to us and think they will drop points in a few of those games. Also Yaya Toure goes to the ACON and he will most likely miss the game against us later this month.

Agree with most of what is being said here. We're getting beat for speed through the middle of the pitch with Fab and Matic today, I would have rather seen Ramires play a box to box next to Cesc and Matic like he did in the second half. In away games we need to be more solid in the middle and we just weren't today...Matic looked tired too, had to do his job and Cesc's.

Luis not making the bench was a non-issue for me. It was just his turn, its not like his inclusion would've greatly effected what we were doing going forward. To me, even though they weren't called upon, Remy and Drogba offer us different options off the bench; I'm sure you know where I'm coming from so I won't go into detail... We were fine attacking today the reasons we didn't get the result all stem from defense and on all accounts that was our strongest defensive lineup(Cahill coming into question now)

We will bounce back, a loss like this will give others an opportunity I'm sure.

Personally, my lineup for the immediate future: (after Watford)

Cech

Azpi Zouma JT Luis

Matic Cesc

Salah Oscar Hazard

Costa

Bench: Courtois, Remy (who should replace #10 or winger) Drogba, Willian, Ivanovic, Mikel, Cahill.

Although personally if I was in Mou's shoes I would recall Betrand and sell off/loan out Ivanovic. We simply can't get away with him anymore.

The reality is: Hazard-Oscar-Willian is just not that good. We only get away with it because Hazard is world class and does things by himself, and then there's also Fabregas pulling the strings from behind. It's a real shame our backups are just as average.

(I could lay into the defenders like everyone else, but they can be better protected by Mou. While the attack just can't/won't improve)

You're crazy. When compared to the world where does that trio rank?

By any meaning this isnt end of title race, but its worrying that we lost 8 points in one month, that we conceded 5! vs fucking Tottenham (or anyone by that matter). I am dissapointed with lack of determination from certain players.

And Im realy curious what will Mou do in january...is he going to bring anyone or not...defense looks weak as fuck atm.

I agree with most of what you were saying but Costa?? I thought he was poor. Looked quite decent first half but apart from that was dominated in every other angle of play and was frustrating. What summed it up for me was his selfish attempt at the end when he should have done the smart thing and look up and play it across the goal.

I said everyone else was hopeless.

Hazard was magnificent.

Costa's performance is a bit like the smallest out of a whole bunch of shitstains, if that helps clarify the situation.