The Belgian Wonderkids and Upcoming Prospects Thread

LukakutoStamford

I know some here are at a fatigue point with all things Belgian that aren't Chelsea property (Hazard Bros., Thibaut Courtois, Musonda Bros.) . That being said I figured for those that are intrested this thread could be a spot for news and notes on upcoming Belgian prospects and wonderkids for the future. After all it is interesting to look back and see how people viewed certain prospects and their futures and then to see how they pan out.

Below is a list of prospects that it by no means complete and it may lack accuracy. I'll keep it to players who turn 21 and younger for the current year (2014). Please feel free to add any players you know of or that I've missed or leave any commentary if you've seen a player or have any impression on his potential. Since I'm not in Belgium and Flemish is like an alien language to me it can be a bit hard to keep tabs on all young Belgian players

DEF

Brandon Mechele (1/28/93) – Club Brugge

Jonas Heymans (2/6/93) – Willem II

Johnathan Vervoort (8/13/93) - Charleroi

MID

Thorgan Hazard (3/29/93) – Chelsea on loan to Monchengladbach

Franco Zennaro (4/1/93) – Fortuna Sittard

Brice Ntambwe (4/29/93) – Mons

Mehdi Tarfi (7/5/93) – Zulte Waregem

Alpasian Ozturk (7/16/93) – Kasimpasa

Wannes Van Tricht (11/13/93) - Geel

FW

Dolly Menga (5/2/93) - Lierse

Jason Adesanya (5/26/93) - Geel

Yannick Ferreira Carrasco (9/4/93) - Monaco

Massimo Bruno (9/17/93) – Salzburg (Austria)

Michy Batshuayi (10/2/93) – Marseille

DEF

Alexander Corryn (1/3/94) – Lokeren

Michael Heylen (1/3/94) - Kortrijk

Jordy Croux (1/15/94) – Genk on loan to OH Leuven

Jordan Atheba (4/4/94) – Standard Liege

Birger Verstraete (4/16/94) – Club Brugge

Cedric Buekers (4/17/94) – OH Leuven on loan to Heist

Gilles Ruyssen (6/18/94) – Gent

Jordan Lukaku (7/25/94) - Oostende

Bjorn Engels (9/15/94) – Club Brugge

Julien De Sart (12/23/94) – Standard Liege

MID

Ibrahima Cisse (2/28/94) – Standard Liege

Rob Schoofs (3/23/94) – Sint Truiden

Dennis Praet (5/14/94) – Anderlecht

Gianni De Neve (7/25/94) – Gent

Thomas Foket (9/25/94) - Gent

Julien De Sart (12/23/94) – Standard Liege

FW

Nathan Kabasele (1/14/94) – De Graafschap

David Iboma (12/3/94) - Beerschot

Leoandro Trossard (12/14/94) - Genk

GK

Alexandro Craninx (10/21/95) – Real Madrid

Lucas Pirard (3/10/95) – Standard Liege

DEF

Corentin Fiore (3/24/95) – Standard Liege

Jason Denayer (6/28/95) – Manchester City (PL)

Timoty Castagne (12/5/95) – Genk

MID

Adnan Januzaj (2/5/95) – Manchester United

Leander Dedoncker (4/25/95) - Anderlecht

FW

Divock Origi (4/18/95) – Lille (On loan from Liverpool)

Theo Bongonda (11/20/95) - Celta de Vigo

GK

Xavier Gies (12/17/96) – Anderlecht

Thomas Hooyberghs (7/26/96) – PSV Eindhoven

DEF

Arno Monsecour (1/19/96) - Lokeren

Willem Celen (1/31/96) – Lierse

Gilles De Waele (2/13/96) – Cercle Brugge

Joey Dujardin (2/16/96) – Zulte Waregem

Akhenaten Poto Mees (2/21/96) – Mons

Alexis Scholl (3/11/96) – Anderlecht

Senne Verbiest (5/9/96) - Genk

Dion Cools (6/4/96) – Oud-Heverlee Leuven

MID

Nick Van de Walle (1/1/96) - Lierse

Oulare Mamadou Obbi (1/6/96) – Club Brugge

Jordy Vleugels (5/17/96) -Willem II

Dylan Seys (9/26/96) – Club Brugge

Tom Rosenthal (9/30/96) - Watford

Alexis De Sart (11/12/96) – Standard Liege

Iebe Swers (12/27/96) – Sint- Truidense

FW

Zakaria Bakkali (1/26/96) – PSV

Nicolas Napol (4/3/96) - Lorient

David Henen (4/19/96) - Everton

Jinty Caenepeel (7/18/96) - Gent

Siebe Schijvers (7/18/96) – Genk (Jupiler)

FW

GK

Nordin Jackers (9/5/97) – Genk

Quintijn Steelant (1/30/97) – Club Brugge

DEF

Ilkan Cavus (1/24/97) – Genk

Dries Wouters (1/28/97) - Genk

Andrea Morias (2/14/97) - Anderlecht

Nathan Ledyer (4/14/97) – Ajax

Marco Weymans (7/9/97) - PSV Eindhoven

Jellert van Landschoot (8/27/97) – Club Brugge

MID

Arno Verschueren (4/8/97) Oud-Heverlee Leuven

Dylan Damraoui (5/4/97) – Club Brugge

Yan De Maeyer (5/5/97) – Mechelen

Youri Tielemans (5/7/97) - Anderlecht

Ayron Verkinere (5/17/97) – Cercle Brugge

Paolino Bertaccini (11/9/97) - Club Brugge

FW

Jeff Callebaut (1/23/97) – Zulte Waregem

Jur Schrijvers (3/11/97) – Club Brugge

Thibault Vlietnck (8/19/97) – Club Brugge

DEF

Wout Faes (4/3/98) – Anderlecht

FW

Matthias Verreth (2/20/98) – PSV Eindhoven

Lennerd Daneels (4/10/98) - PSV

DEF

Zinho Vanheusden (7/29/1999) – Standard Liege

Indy Boonen (1999) - Genk

MID

Thibaud Verlinden (1999) – Standard Liege

FW

Francesco Antonucci (6/20/99) - Anderlecht

Adrien Bongiovanni (9/20/99) – Standard Liege

GK

Seppe Boonen (2001) – Genk

Pietro Tomaselli (11/17/04) – AS Roma

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Background on Pietro tomaselli. Crazy to talk about a kid of this age, but you never know. Chances are he'l never live up to the hype but someone has to do it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2872331/Watch-Roma-s-nine-year-old-wonderkid-Pietro-Tomaselli-live-billing-new-Totti.html5

News for 12/18/14

Transfer Guru Cordella not surprised Man Utd are targeting Belgian youth talent

Indy Boonen, a 15 year old left back, and his brother Seppe Boonen, a year old 13 goalkeeper, both who are Genk youth prospects are on trial with Man United.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/exclusive-transfer-guru-cordella-unsurprised-man-utd-targeting-belgian-youth-talent-4054239#.VJRcMXkAA

What are your guys thoughts on Origi? I only saw him at the World cup and didn't rate him at all. He seems to have a very heavy touch and didn't seem very agile. He was kind of Lukaku-esque on the ball

The 'hype' around him was a result of his World Cup. Noone would know him now if he wasn't called up, even in Belgium (normal fans that is, not us football junkies). I'd say his play on the ball is one of his stronger attributes, kinda the opposite of Lukaku tbh.

He has yet to play well consistently for Lille though, he has a dry spell at the moment and was recently booed by his own fans after missing a penalty.

He's overrated but he has got a lot of potential, he's still in his teens.

What are your guys thoughts on Origi? I only saw him at the World cup and didn't rate him at all. He seems to have a very heavy touch and didn't seem very agile. He was kind of Lukaku-esque on the ball

He plays a finesse style of play which considering his size makes him look smaller than he is. He's actually very silky on the ball and has great footwork for someone that is 6ft tall. Strange you'd think he wasn't very agile as I think he's exceedingly nimble for someone of his height.

He's a different type of forward than Benteke or Lukaku. I think he'd be better suited playing as a second striker role. Needs work on his finishing and at times his decision making is a bit suspect. Liverpool was an interesting choice but I think Liverpool could be dangerous with him Sturridge and Sterling playing together.

He plays a finesse style of play which considering his size makes him look smaller than he is. He's actually very silky on the ball and has great footwork for someone that is 6ft tall. Strange you'd think he wasn't very agile as I think he's exceedingly nimble for someone of his height.

He's a different type of forward than Benteke or Lukaku. I think he'd be better suited playing as a second striker role. Needs work on his finishing and at times his decision making is a bit suspect. Liverpool was an interesting choice but I think Liverpool could be dangerous with him Sturridge and Sterling playing together.

As I say I just saw him at the world cup ot wasnt a lot at all, he just didnt seem comfortable on the ball

Origi clearly has a very high ceiling.

Physically, he's impressive for someone this young. His pace is phenomenal, with good decision making he would be lethal in counter attacks.
He's tall, which means he can be strong and good in the air. But it's not the case, he is still shaky in the duels he has to work on this.

He is also admirably gifted technically. Good dribbling skills, ball control, power shots, and really good crosses.

But he's very poor tactically. It's very frustrating to see him play for the moment, because he's wasting all the talent he has by very, very poor decision making. Generally due to selfishness and tactical unawareness. Kind of like Balotelli ^^

He's very young so he can work on that, and if he does with success he's gonna have it all to become world class.

As for Belgian wonderkids, you can add to your list the two youngest of the 3 Ivanov brothers, great prospects from Genk who were transfered to the LOSC formation center last summer.

Tyron Ivanov (1997) is in the U19 LOSC team, plays in midfield/attacking midfield
Douglas Ivanov (2002) is in the U14 team, also midfield. He seems to be the most technically gifted.

The 'hype' around him was a result of his World Cup. Noone would know him now if he wasn't called up, even in Belgium (normal fans that is, not us football junkies). I'd say his play on the ball is one of his stronger attributes, kinda the opposite of Lukaku tbh.

He has yet to play well consistently for Lille though, he has a dry spell at the moment and was recently booed by his own fans after missing a penalty.

He's overrated but he has got a lot of potential, he's still in his teens.

What also added to the hype was Piet de Visser saying that Origi reminded him of Kluivert (although Kluivert had unlocked more of his potential when he was Origi's age). Still why let anything stand in the way of a good hype? :worship: Origi, the new Kluivert :yes: every self-respecting hype should have a "the new X" tag. Regardless of the hype I'd put Origi in the top 5 of Belgian wonderkids (from 1/1/1993 onwards) together with Lukaku, Januzaj, Tielemans and Musonda.

- Praet looks very promising yet my expectations are lower than what I'm expecting from the top 5 talents (I'd add him to the next +/- 5: T.Hazard, Jr. Malanda, Michy, Y.F-C., Bruno, etc.).

- Dendoncker is another Anderlecht talent that deserves a mention in this thread (missing from OP).

- I didn't spot Theo Bongonda in the OP but he also deserves to be on the list.

- Bakkali will return to full fitness in January and could be a huge addition to the club that signs him (IF that club can get him to develop properly).

- Andreas Pereira ... born and bred in Belgium but playing for Brazil now (changed his mind a few times already) and he moved to Man Utd.

- Bossaerts most likely has the highest potential of all young Belgian defenders but like Denayer he moved to Citeh. Engels is also a very decent prospect.

- etc. ... most of the top prospects are already on OP's list though (i.e. T.Hazard, Jr. Malanda, Michy, Y.F-C, Bruno, Praet, ...).

• 2 weeks later...

What also added to the hype was Piet de Visser saying that Origi reminded him of Kluivert (although Kluivert had unlocked more of his potential when he was Origi's age). Still why let anything stand in the way of a good hype? :worship: Origi, the new Kluivert :yes: every self-respecting hype should have a "the new X" tag. Regardless of the hype I'd put Origi in the top 5 of Belgian wonderkids (from 1/1/1993 onwards) together with Lukaku, Januzaj, Tielemans and Musonda.

- Praet looks very promising yet my expectations are lower than what I'm expecting from the top 5 talents (I'd add him to the next +/- 5: T.Hazard, Jr. Malanda, Michy, Y.F-C., Bruno, etc.).

- Dendoncker is another Anderlecht talent that deserves a mention in this thread (missing from OP).

- I didn't spot Theo Bongonda in the OP but he also deserves to be on the list.

- Bakkali will return to full fitness in January and could be a huge addition to the club that signs him (IF that club can get him to develop properly).

- Andreas Pereira ... born and bred in Belgium but playing for Brazil now (changed his mind a few times already) and he moved to Man Utd.

- Bossaerts most likely has the highest potential of all young Belgian defenders but like Denayer he moved to Citeh. Engels is also a very decent prospect.

- etc. ... most of the top prospects are already on OP's list though (i.e. T.Hazard, Jr. Malanda, Michy, Y.F-C, Bruno, Praet, ...).

I like Dendoncker and Bongonda and will add them.

Can Pereira still elect to play for Belgium or did he use up his one country change?

I like Denayer better at this point. Bossaerts is younger but Denayer seems to be progressing better.

AFAIK Pereira can still play for Belgium. It either was his dad or his agent that told him not to burn any bridges (but I can't tell if the Belgian FA are open to a return). I'd say that even if he joins Brazil as a full international (which is a big ?), Brazil will have a Belgian playing for them.

Bossaerts had to deal with injuries and that caused his progession to slow down a bit. At least for now, I have to agree with you that Denayer is further along in his development (unless I choose to ignore reality and act like one of Bossaerts' fangirls). Together with Meunier (could move to a bigger club at the end of this season) and Engels (also seems ready for the next step), I'd like to see how these guys perform in their early 20s ... maybe even add a (younger) 5th prospect, W. Faes. He's very much in Anderlecht's plans for the next few years but Premier League or Bundesliga football seem to be in his future.

faes.jpg

PS with Kompany, Boyata, Denayer, Bossaerts and even Mangala (Belgian FA tried to keep him) Citeh have more than their fair share of Belgian defenders. I don't like all of our eggs in one basket ... so sweet Khaleesi, Mother of effin Dragons, don't let Faes end up there as well.

• 3 weeks later...