Reus and Bale BOTH Bridge-bound?

BlueLion.

It may be little more than rumour, but with Silly Season in full swing, reports suggest that Chelsea may be prepared to make a stunning double swoop for two of the best players in world football.

Reports regarding Marco Reus' potential move to Stamford Bridge have gathered pace over the last couple of days, with numerous media outlets suggesting the Germany star could be available for as little as €25 million in January as Borussia Dortmund look set to cash in on their star player before his contract expires in the summer.

Reus is courted, understandably, by many of Europe's top clubs - but with Barcelona banned from transfer activity and both Paris St-Germain and Manchester City still struggling to meet UEFA's financial fairplay regulations, the Blues, who announced a massive annual turnover of £318 million earlier this week, are the only club who could realistically meet Reus' wage demands and expectations for play time and on-the-field success.

Real Madrid is another possible destination for the Germany international, but manager Carlo Ancelotti already has a fight on his hands to keep his current crop of superstars happy without the introduction of yet another world-class attacker.

Meanwhile, Reus has already publicly dismissed any intention of a move to Dortmund's Bundesliga rivals Bayern Munich in the same manner as former team-mates Mario Goetze and Robert Lewandowski, arguably leaving Chelsea as the favourites to land his coveted signature.

Chelsea could use Andre Schurrle as a makeweight in the deal, with the former Bayer Leverkusen star decidedly second-choice behind Eden Hazard and Willian in the Stamford Bridge pecking order at present.

But another name linked with a switch to join the Premier League leaders is former Tottenham winger Gareth Bale, who has slipped out of Madrid's starting eleven due to the phenomenal form of Isco and James Rodriguez's big-money summer switch from Monaco.

Though Madrid would demand a fee close to - or perhaps even exceeding - the £85 million spent to secure the Welshman's signature, Roman Abramovich certainly holds the key to the door in that regard.

A more likely signing from the Spanish capital would be Bale's team-mate Raphael Varane. A £19m bid would be enough to secure the Frenchman's signature according to rumours emerging from Spain, with Ancelotti preferring the more experienced duo of Sergio Ramos and Pepe at centre-back.

Varane is identified as one of the world's most established young defenders, yet with plenty of promise of further growth into a world-class stopper, the Frenchman, along with Kurt Zouma, is a candidate to replace John Terry as a long-term stalwart in the Blues defence.

Have your say on who you think Chelsea should try and sign in January!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reus would be the missing link on the right wing for us I feel. It's the only spot in the team that doesn't pick itself.

That said I think he'll go to Bayern.

No to Bale, don't think they will sell, don't want to pay 90m!!

Varane would be really really great, but I don't think Real will sell, he could be their main CB for a decade.

I've said it many times, but I would 100% love for Varane to come here. How possible is it though? If Jose managed to lure him, Madrid wouldn't let him go for cheap.

Reus is bargain for 19m. Normally he would cost at least 40m in this inflated market.

Bale, not for the high fee. The only positive for paying such a high fee for another player is that Torres stops being our most expensive transfer.

I've said it many times, but I would 100% love for Varane to come here. How possible is it though? If Jose managed to lure him, Madrid wouldn't let him go for cheap.

Reus is bargain for 19m. Normally he would cost at least 40m in this inflated market.

Bale, not for the high fee. The only positive for paying such a high fee for another player is that Torres stops being our most expensive transfer.

let torres be our most expensive transfer. a reminder and warning for our board that expensive is not equal to quality

I very much doubt we could afford Bale. And even if we could then it'd mean we couldn't sign anyone else for the next 3 years!

Reus is very possible, especially if we use Andre as a sweetner.

Varane would be fantastic for that price. But it just won't be that price. Real aren't complete morons and know they could ask for around £30M, don't they?