The New Untouchables

stroey

In his first spell Mourinho named 9 players who were his ''untouchables'':
Claude Makelele, Michael Essien, Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack, John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Didier Drogba and Petr Cech.

"Makelele is untouchable because of the way he plays. Essien is untouchable because of the way he plays. Frank Lampard is untouchable because of the way he plays. "It is not because I love them. It is because of the way they play. Michael Ballack is untouchable because of the way he plays. John Terry is untouchable, Ricardo Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Drogba, they are untouchable.

"The right-back is not untouchable. That is why I try this and that. But, at this moment, we have nine untouchable players. Players pick the team, not me."

interview of 2006: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/2397432/jose-sheva-not-untouchable

At the end of last season (2013-14) he was asked to name his new untouchables, at that time he named: Azpi, Iva, Gary, JT, Ramires, Matic and Willian.

“Partially” is the critical word. “It was not possible to complete that puzzle for different factors,” Mourinho said. “If next season we have a No 9 who we decide is first-choice, plus the stability that Matic and Ramires can give, hopefully we will have more stability.”
So there you have it. The new ‘untouchables’ are evolving: Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Matic and Ramires and, possibly, Willian whose attitude to hard work had, Mourinho said, been transformed.

interview of 2014: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10806112/Chelsea-manager-looking-for-a-new-team-of-untouchables-to-match-Stamford-Bridges-class-of-2006.html

But with the addition of Courtois, Luis, Costa, Fabregas and the development of Hazard and Oscar I think there will be some changes in his mind.
Mine are: Azpi, Iva, JT, Matic, Cesc, Hazard, Diego Costa and Courtois if Cech really leaves.

Who are your new untouchables? Or is it too early to talk about it, like the comparison with ''the new invincibles''?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matic, Fabregas, Hazard, Oscar and Costa.

For me, as good as they are none of the defenders are untouchable because we have five equally excellent players in Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta and Filipe Luis. If one of them is sidelined with an injury or a suspension, the replacement will fit right in and we hardly even notice anyone's missing. Same can't be said about the players mentioned above because their replacements are nowhere near their class.

• 8 months later...

My mind think of it for a while and happen to come by in this thread.

I think at the moment, Ivan, JT, Fabregas, Matic, Hazard, Costa.

I don't think Azpi and Courtois are there yet. Maybe it is just what I feel though.

I don't think Azpi and Courtois are there yet. Maybe it is just what I feel though.

TBO is now untouchable now Cech is gone, IMO.

Azpi is 100% there.

For all this Mou loves Ivanovic talk, the Serbian is 100 times more likely to lose his place anytime soon then Cesar.

Unless some prime Ashley Cole creeps out of the wood word, Cesar has left back on lockdown until he declines.

TBO is now untouchable now Cech is gone, IMO.

Probably, maybe the reason of my doubt is that because Cech was there last season. If Begovic come and next season Courtois play in every match he is fit except against lesser teams, then I could be sure.