Foreign Refs

thekid9

would this solve a lot of problems,

Obvisouly there is no proof that certain refs support certain teams, but it is without question that every ref in the PL's repitoire must support a football team? unless they don't like football which seems unlikely

so how can we trust them not to be biased?

In the champions league you wouldn't have an english ref in charge of an English team......

So is it not about time we had Foreign referees and send Dowd and his fellow cunts abroad?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, the fans in all the countries moan about the refs and think they have the worst refs. English refs are not great, but they are certainly better than the refs in the Italian and French leagues.

The game has just become very hard to officiate, especially so in the EPL.

The thing is, the fans in all the countries moan about the refs and think they have the worst refs. English refs are not great, but they are certainly better than the refs in the Italian and French leagues.

Italian for sure! :P

Italian for sure! :P

Gianluca Rocchi FTW! :ph34r:

Very true. I feel sorry for refs and linemen when they can only be proved wrong by a stop motion replay which has to be viewed 6/7 times.

But then it seems like every other game has a glaring referee error recently. And by glaring I mean you're watching it and saying "How the hell did he not see that?". Case in point being Aguero not getting a ban for his stamp last weekend because Atkinson said he saw it. Which is bollocks, because if he did then Aguero had to get sent off.

The quality of refereeing is frankly terrible (it may be better than in Italian and French football but that doesn't make it any better), and needs to be changed ASAP. Whether that's with the introduction of video challenges from managers, with referees being allowed to take decisions to a TMO, having some kind of review system for referees where they have to explain their decisions (right or wrong) and pledge to be consistent with their decisions in the future or with the better coaching of refs in the first place.

Gianluca Rocchi FTW! :ph34r:

Rocchi is actually one of the better refs in Italy. Though the only half decent Italian ref now is Rizzoli. Of course, there will never be another Collina.

Very true. I feel sorry for refs and linemen when they can only be proved wrong by a stop motion replay which has to be viewed 6/7 times.

But then it seems like every other game has a glaring referee error recently. And by glaring I mean you're watching it and saying "How the hell did he not see that?". Case in point being Aguero not getting a ban for his stamp last weekend because Atkinson said he saw it. Which is bollocks, because if he did then Aguero had to get sent off.

The quality of refereeing is frankly terrible (it may be better than in Italian and French football but that doesn't make it any better), and needs to be changed ASAP. Whether that's with the introduction of video challenges from managers, with referees being allowed to take decisions to a TMO, having some kind of review system for referees where they have to explain their decisions (right or wrong) and pledge to be consistent with their decisions in the future or with the better coaching of refs in the first place.

No, I agree. The standards have been getting worse and there's a lot that needs to be improved. But I just think that foreign refs won't necessarily do better than English refs.

In the EPL, I think one area that needs to be improved is the physical readiness of the refs. I'm not just saying this because of the match on Sunday, but Phill Dowd really has no business reffing in this league. He just can't keep up, especially towards the end of matches. Watch Iva's sending off again and notice he takes about 2-3 seconds just to get into the camera frame. He's so far from the incident it is no surprise at all that he got it wrong.

I think hiring foreign refs would be like buying the best players for your team.

But this time buying the best ref for your league and every year you update your roster kicking out those that suck and bring in new.

That would be awesome but will never happen as it's too complex. ?

Rocchi is actually one of the better refs in Italy. Though the only half decent Italian ref now is Rizzoli. Of course, there will never be another Collina.

No, I agree. The standards have been getting worse and there's a lot that needs to be improved. But I just think that foreign refs won't necessarily do better than English refs.

In the EPL, I think one area that needs to be improved is the physical readiness of the refs. I'm not just saying this because of the match on Sunday, but Phill Dowd really has no business reffing in this league. He just can't keep up, especially towards the end of matches. Watch Iva's sending off again and notice he takes about 2-3 seconds just to get into the camera frame. He's so far from the incident it is no surprise at all that he got it wrong.

Fair enough. And yeah Dowd has to lose some weight, don't think anyone would disagree there. Would be a bit rich of me to tell someone else they should lose weight though :P.

What should really be done is the use of technology to aid the decisions. Plenty of other sports do it. I believe FIFA is taking longer to change things in that direction because in a way it takes away a little bit of what makes football, football. Whether we like it or not wrong calls make newspaper headlines and it also heats up discussions between fans. In football there's just too much left to interpretation. Ideally it wouldn't be like that.

What should really be done is the use of technology to aid the decisions. Plenty of other sports do it. I believe FIFA is taking longer to change things in that direction because in a way it takes away a little bit of what makes football, football. Whether we like it or not wrong calls make newspaper headlines and it also heats up discussions between fans. In football there's just too much left to interpretation. Ideally it wouldn't be like that.

NO NO NO NO NO NO

I have watched Australian Rugby League destroyed by video refereeing. It stops the game, slows it, takes the energy out of it. Even video referees don't do it right. For instance I watched a semi-final match between East-Sydney and South-Sydney and the referee was making some questionable calls and dragging out the decisions for simple trys. The video-referee analyed an East-Sydney try at least ten times before giving it but only analysed a South-Sydney try twice before giving it. Here is the kicker several plays before the South-Sydney try there were several rules broken that weren't looked at or analysed.

NO NO NO NO NO NO

I have watched Australian Rugby League destroyed by video refereeing. It stops the game, slows it, takes the energy out of it. Even video referees don't do it right. For instance I watched a semi-final match between East-Sydney and South-Sydney and the referee was making some questionable calls and dragging out the decisions for simple trys. The video-referee analyed an East-Sydney try at least ten times before giving it but only analysed a South-Sydney try twice before giving it. Here is the kicker several plays before the South-Sydney try there were several rules broken that weren't looked at or analysed.

There's that. Maybe you wouldn't check for every decision but at least the most important ones, like penalties. How does it work in Rugby?