Chelsea v NK Maribor

Jase

I would rotate almost all the team for this one. This group is a joke and for me right now the priority is the PLeague,

Give playing time to the players that usualy don't play... they can do it.

Unfortunetly Mourinho won't do it... but I would. At least rest Hazard, Cesc and Matic.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tibo

Azpi Zouma JT Luis

Mikel Matic

Salah Willian Hazard

Remy

Azpi to cover Iva as he is suspended for United. Cahill has played a lot of football, won't hurt to give him a day off. Cesc is vital against United so against a 'lesser' opposition it would make sense to rest him. Oscar looks like he is beginning to recapture a bit of form. We don't want the burn out that so badly affected him last season. Like Cesc, we're playing a weaker team so Salah can cover for one game.

Maribor are going to defend deep and try to get a draw. So, we'll need to make our set pieces count.

I don't think mourinho will change the team too much for this game but i'd like to see Oscar and Cesc get some rest.

Absolutely. There is no way Jose isn't playing Branna for this one.

Cech

Ivanovic Terry/Zouma Cahill Azpi

Matic

Oscar Fabregas

Willian Salah

Drogba

Also the perfect fixture to give some significant game time for Salah and Drogs

I expect our usual starting lineup with a couple of changes at most. It's possible Iva will be rested while Azpi and Luis start and Ake is on the bench. Think Ramires will play against United instead of Willian, so Willian will likely play against Maribor. Can see Oscar being rested and Salah or Andre playing.

Possibly this lineup:

TC
Azpi Cahill JT Luis
Cesc Matic
Salah/Schurrle Willian Hazard
Remy
With Cesc and Eden subbed off on 60+.
P.S. Please no to Drogba. He shouldn't be starting if we don't want a repeat of the Schalke game. Remy must start.

I know Maribor very well, this team can put either a very organised performance, or a very clumsy one. We played in europe for few years in row now, europa league before and now CL. The players are super pumped up for these european games and by no mean, chelsea should underestimate maribor. In europe, we are very organised, probably we will play defensive this game, like most times (in europe), but our attack can be very efficient. We can score from nowhere, one chance and thats it. If Chelsea will let too much space for us, it could turn that we will get a lot of confidence and we can be very dangerous then (for example, the last 15min in first half against Schalke). Even I didnt know and expect that we could attack this fast and we could easily score two more in those 15min. However if oppponent puts too much pressure on our team, we can become quite nervous and fuck up in defence easily. But I expect tight game, with Chelsea winning. Hope for a draw though, as both teams, I like very much.

Cant wait for the match :blue scalf:

Is this game a sell out?

What size of crowd is anticipated for this match?

Website says it is sold out. The empty seats in the bottom left that LeonDavis mentioned would be because the away team did not sell out their tickets. I would expect at least 38,000

I have a feeling Drogba will start the game because Mourinho was quick to praise him after the game :/

If Drogba starts this one, it would really be a slap in the face for Remy. I don't care if Maribor is a weak opposition but starting Drogba is a no-no, especially after what happened with Schalke. Play the strongest team possible, secure the win and then give the likes of Drogba playing time. Last thing we need is for us to drop silly points again because of a dodgy lineup, when we can avoid that.

Just watched their game against Schalke to get a sense of what they're like, what I did gather is they are a well-organized, hard working team not too dissimilar to Leicester.

In that game they played a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) they sat back for most of the game and set up a nice compact defense that was well organized and hard to break down. I didn't find any one of their players to be highly effective individually, but as a unit they all worked for each other and seemed confident in what the managers game plan. When they did come out they initiated the press just over the half and used their two forwards to great effect here. The last 15mins of the first half was around the time when they started to press so if duplicated we're gonna have to pay attention at the back end of halves.

Going forward they don't really have a main threat from what I saw but they will counter attack in numbers with a great deal of pace! They Will cause problems if we allow them to win the ball when we have men committed forward.

For Chelsea to win this game they're going to have to play a cautious game and wait for the holes to appear. Maribor have a good bench and will chase a victory if this is still in the balance with 70mins played. This won't be easy, I hate when we have to wait and wait... Gets extremely dangerous.

They do look susceptible to diagonal crosses from early crosses. I'd start Luis and drogba... Drogba not only because he's good in the air but also because if Maribor are effective with their high pressing game we'll need to be more direct and didier allows us to set up deep.

Id love to say we have too much for them but there really aren't any easy games in champions league.

Anyone who wants to watch the Schalke and Maribor game online holler at me. I'll post links.