Raheem Sterling

RoyalBlues

10 goals and 7 assists for Liverpool last season, 11 goals and 9 assists this season. I think that's good for a Liverpool player, aged 18-20 while doing so. More than good actually. Averaging 1.6 and 2.1 key passes per game in 13/14 and 14/15. And already one of the better dribblers in the league.

Sterling would not significantly improve Chelsea immediately, but he should only get better, at least that's what you hope and expect with any young player. Better team mates here and Hazard, Cesc and Costa taking the attention away from him.

I would love him here. Pace and dribbling, chance creation, goals.

His numbers are better than I thought, but I've seen him countless times messing up routine chances in the final 3rd.

There's the valid excuse that he's young and will obviously improve, but will Mourinho keep him in the XI like Rodgers has done no matter what?

I would prefer a more established player.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His numbers are better than I thought, but I've seen him countless times messing up routine chances in the final 3rd.

There's the valid excuse that he's young and will obviously improve, but will Mourinho keep him in the XI like Rodgers has done no matter what?

I would prefer a more established player.

Like we don't see that now haha. He'll mess up, but he will also do good. At least he's a threat.

He would not have to. If Sterling were to go through a rut, you could move Willian there. With either Oscar or Fabregas moving into the middle. Or you play Cuadrado (I know right now that sounds terrible).

That's the thing about finding a right winger though. The great ones are tied to top sides. That's when you have to go for young players with potential, like with Hazard back in 2012, Neymar to Barca, Reus to Dortmund and countless other examples.

Like we don't see that now haha. He'll mess up, but he will also do good. At least he's a threat.

He would not have to. If Sterling were to go through a rut, you could move Willian there. With either Oscar or Fabregas moving into the middle. Or you play Cuadrado (I know right now that sounds terrible).

That's the thing about finding a right winger though. The great ones are tied to top sides. That's when you have to go for young players with potential, like with Hazard back in 2012, Neymar to Barca, Reus to Dortmund and countless other examples.

Completely agree. It just depends on how ball Liverpool are willing to be..

They know he'll be in the last year of his contract but he will spark a bidding war. We won't be the only ones hovering, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Arsenal, City and United show interest.. As well as whoever else abroad.

£50m is clearly too much. But between £20-25m?

Completely agree. It just depends on how ball Liverpool are willing to be..

They know he'll be in the last year of his contract but he will spark a bidding war. We won't be the only ones hovering, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Arsenal, City and United show interest.. As well as whoever else abroad.

£50m is clearly too much. But between £20-25m?

I don't think Utd are in. I find them playing with two young wingers hard to imagine. Abroad interest seems unlikely as well. Don't think Bayern, Barca, Real are interested. Well, Bayern's possible but they're usually not willing to pay extreme fees (Martinez for €40 mil is their most expensive transfer I think). But they could make an exception. Then there's PSG, but there's always the Ligue 1 factor. Not to mention their own restrictions on spending.

I think he wants to stay in England though. You'd think Arsenal and City are interested, yeah. But Chelsea are in the best position to win trophies. Combined the prospect of playing alongside Cesc and Hazard, and Mourinho as a manager. And he's from London, right?

£50m would be extreme, but looking at the market, I think he'd cost £25m at the very least. £25-35 mil is my guess, roughly €35-50 mil. A lot of money.

I don't think Utd are in. I find them playing with two young wingers hard to imagine. Abroad interest seems unlikely as well. Don't think Bayern, Barca, Real are interested. Well, Bayern's possible but they're usually not willing to pay extreme fees (Martinez for €40 mil is their most expensive transfer I think). But they could make an exception. Then there's PSG, but there's always the Ligue 1 factor. Not to mention their own restrictions on spending.

I think he wants to stay in England though. You'd think Arsenal and City are interested, yeah. But Chelsea are in the best position to win trophies. Combined the prospect of playing alongside Cesc and Hazard, and Mourinho as a manager. And he's from London, right?

£50m would be extreme, but looking at the market, I think he'd cost £25m at the very least. £25-35 mil is my guess, roughly €35-50 mil. A lot of money.

You're correct in your assessment of why United and the foreign teams wouldn't be involved at this stage.. But when you then talk about £25-35million then it does open a few eyelids. Clubs who normally wouldn't look would show some interest in a player who's basically a contract rebel. I don't think foreign interest will be strong, but domestically I think all the giants will be circling.

We have the advantage of now being Champions and having the strongest team. Everyone's recruiting now though, United are taking a leaf from our book by getting some of their targets in early. I hope we're interested in him anyway, but I would support the club in not being held hostage by both player and club alike.. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things he's a potential signings in a list of others. Griezman for example.

City seems most likely as they'll be willing to pay over the odds. He looked his best last year when Suarez and Sturridge were shredding defences in front of him. 7 goals whilst playing up front for a lot of the season is not enough to justify some of the numbers being bandied about.

Which is my point. We already see enough messing up in the final 3rd, Chelsea need players that will take the team to another level (imo)

More decisiveness, more consistency; like a Diego Costa signing at RW.

Sterling for me is not this player, but there are certainly worse options *cough milner cough*

United won't be in for him, because Liverpool won't sell him to them even if United offered twice the next highest offer. There would be riots if they saw Sterling in United shirt

Dont think they'd care...

Look at the RVP senario. Or even Lewandowski/Goetze.

Money talks!!

Dont think they'd care...

Look at the RVP senario. Or even Lewandowski/Goetze.

Money talks!!

There was nothing Dortmund could do about Lewandowski and Gotze as Lewandowski's contract expired and Gotze had a buyout clause. Arsenal have been hammered for selling RVP to United, and even then United-Arsenal rivalry is nowhere close to United-Liverpool one. United wouldn't even sell Heinze to Liverpool. Liverpool won't sell their most promising player to United.

There was nothing Dortmund could do about Lewandowski and Gotze as Lewandowski's contract expired and Gotze had a buyout clause. Arsenal have been hammered for selling RVP to United, and even then United-Arsenal rivalry is nowhere close to United-Liverpool one. United wouldn't even sell Heinze to Liverpool. Liverpool won't sell their most promising player to United.

I beg to differ. If United came knocking with an 80mil offer (twice what I think he'll go for) you really think FSG would decline? Maybe if he had signed a new 5 year deal, but not as the current contract situation stands.

Gave our defence the run around yesterday. I agree with Sheva that he has been wasteful a lot this season but it has proven such as last season that when he is surrounded by better players he will look even better and I think add more goals. Last season he was fantastic. Especially in that no.10 role. He definitely could work on his shooting but would his overall play improve our team. I think it will. I definitely see City putting in a bid for him. I am not too sure about us this summer.

But if he can improve on his finsihing, he will be an excellent player. His dribbling, pace and balance is fantastic.

I beg to differ. If United came knocking with an 80mil offer (twice what I think he'll go for) you really think FSG would decline? Maybe if he had signed a new 5 year deal, but not as the current contract situation stands.

80£m.. Do u talk about Sterling now??!

40£m bid from manu and they gonna drive him to Manchester! I assume a fee around 25£m just because he's english. In the summer he has 1 year left and if he really need to move he can buy out his contract with 1,7£m.

I really want Sterling. He's not toppclass(yet), but he can make a difference in games and have a lot of potential. 20y and HomeGrown means very much too!

Which is my point. We already see enough messing up in the final 3rd, Chelsea need players that will take the team to another level (imo)

More decisiveness, more consistency; like a Diego Costa signing at RW.

Sterling for me is not this player, but there are certainly worse options *cough milner cough*

I think I rate Sterling a bit higher than you. I don't know many footballers playing at his level at 20.

I understand your point. Ideally this ready made player would be available, but again, who is this player? €100+ mil Bale? Injury-prone Reus and play him out of position? Flopping Di Maria, who's also had to deal with his few shares of injuries? It's not like Robben or Sanchez will be joining...

There's always Griezmann, and while I do rate him, he would be a risk for the RW position. I wouldn't mind him at all but he's possibly too expensive to take that risk. I still think a young talent is the way to go. Matching Bayern, Barca and Real is going to take a few years, regardless of who comes in for the RW position.

Gave our defence the run around yesterday. I agree with Sheva that he has been wasteful a lot this season but it has proven such as last season that when he is surrounded by better players he will look even better and I think add more goals. Last season he was fantastic. Especially in that no.10 role. He definitely could work on his shooting but would his overall play improve our team. I think it will. I definitely see City putting in a bid for him. I am not too sure about us this summer.

But if he can improve on his finsihing, he will be an excellent player. His dribbling, pace and balance is fantastic.

At liverpool this year he has had to try and carry the team .. With us he would only need to contribute ,, his pace would suit us perfectly

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You