test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

eldo

Petr Cech

Started by eldo,

4,050 posts in this topic

Three clean sheets in three games for club and country, Petr will take a lot of confidence from that and hopefully look to make it four from four at the weekend.

"There are false stories about Petr Cech leaving the club. We are trying to reach an agreement with Petr. He knows that we are trying to reach an agreement with him and that we are interested in renewing his contract."

"The goalkeeper position is very, very specific," Villas-Boas said, citing Edwin van der Sar and David Seaman as examples of keepers who have shone at the highest level during their fifth decade.

Question marks over Cech's fitness were actually raised by new team-mate Thibaut Courtois, who joined Chelsea from Genk this summer before being loaned out for the season to Atletico Madrid.

Cech, who has been the Blues' undisputed number one since signing from Rennes in 2004, is expected to face a stiff challenge from the 19-year-old in the coming years.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/cech-extension-on-the-cards-2960255.html

Good to hear.

[Lately]Shines when we are safe, lets us (=me) down when it matters.

Sorry, been meaning to say it after the Arse and Liverfail games.

That'll just be for the next few weeks while his nose heals I presume. He might then wear it for a while after as protection.

The helmet is entirely precautionary. I remember he was only to due to wear it a couple of years, but after he had a bang on the head playing for the Czech Republic in late 2008 (I think it was against Belarus) he decided it would be best to wear it.

There is also the idea of it being a psychological form of protection. Since I injured my knee in 2004, I can't play in goal without a brace on my left knee, otherwise my brain just refuses to acknowledge any movement of the knee which would potentially damage it, ie. diving. Petr's helmet can therefore be a source of confidence for him, as part of some psychological attachment I can absolutely sympathise with.

I think it's also because Czech Republic won't insure him without the helmet. I read that somewhere.

[Lately]Shines when we are safe, lets us (=me) down when it matters.

Sorry, been meaning to say it after the Arse and Liverfail games.

I can't remember what he did wrong against scumpool. Though I totally agree about his performance against Arsenal.

I did expect him to be way behind the top keepers of the league but not 2nd to last. As always, stats do not tell the full story but Petr has this season at times been well below what is required of a keeper at a top club.

I did expect him to be way behind the top keepers of the league but not 2nd to last. As always, stats do not tell the full story but Petr has this season at times been well below what is required of a keeper at a top club.

Yes, we must factor in that a lot of lower-table club keepers will be there because they face considerably more shots than Cech. It's still alarming though.

What the fuck was up with him yesterday? I'm not just going on the bandwagon because of the mistake for the goal, but he was completely off his game. Kicking was horrible. Didn't give the defenders any confidence at all during set pieces. One decent save after Ivanovic's horrific back-pass but he was completely out-of-sync yesterday.

He had a bad game.

However he has very few of those, just think of the times when he has saved us in the past and will do in the future, and you can forgive him this fuck-up.

His error was just a footnote in a whole chain reaction of errors last night. Why Ivanovic allowed di Santo to check inside onto his stronger side to get the ball into Moses is beyond me, how Bosingwa just let Moses steal into the penalty area on a whim is laughable, and what Cech was doing is also a tough one to answer. Three mistakes from three (well, two) usually-reliable players and you can see why we're short on confidence at present.

He was clumsy when they scored the goal. That means, there's still a chance we use him as a defensive midfielder?!^^

Tomo likes this

Back in 2004 Carlo Cudicini was having a underwhelming season and Ranieri responded by pre signing Petr Cech has competition, well that was the plan but Cech ended up taking his place straight away.

We have to bring Courtious back next summer to push Cech hard for the first team place.

We have to bring Courtious back next summer to push Cech hard for the first team place.

Though I agree, Courtois has said that the plan is to loan him domestically next season, then challenge for a place the year after.

Though I agree, Courtois has said that the plan is to loan him domestically next season, then challenge for a place the year after.

Maybe, in lights of recent performances by big Pete, a change in plans is in order.

Maybe, in lights of recent performances by big Pete, a change in plans is in order.

Let's hope so, Cech needs competition to keep him on his toes.