Petr Cech

eldo

That'll just be for the next few weeks while his nose heals I presume. He might then wear it for a while after as protection.

The helmet is entirely precautionary. I remember he was only to due to wear it a couple of years, but after he had a bang on the head playing for the Czech Republic in late 2008 (I think it was against Belarus) he decided it would be best to wear it.

There is also the idea of it being a psychological form of protection. Since I injured my knee in 2004, I can't play in goal without a brace on my left knee, otherwise my brain just refuses to acknowledge any movement of the knee which would potentially damage it, ie. diving. Petr's helmet can therefore be a source of confidence for him, as part of some psychological attachment I can absolutely sympathise with.

• 4 weeks later...
"There are false stories about Petr Cech leaving the club. We are trying to reach an agreement with Petr. He knows that we are trying to reach an agreement with him and that we are interested in renewing his contract."

"The goalkeeper position is very, very specific," Villas-Boas said, citing Edwin van der Sar and David Seaman as examples of keepers who have shone at the highest level during their fifth decade.

Question marks over Cech's fitness were actually raised by new team-mate Thibaut Courtois, who joined Chelsea from Genk this summer before being loaned out for the season to Atletico Madrid.

Cech, who has been the Blues' undisputed number one since signing from Rennes in 2004, is expected to face a stiff challenge from the 19-year-old in the coming years.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/cech-extension-on-the-cards-2960255.html

Good to hear.

That'll just be for the next few weeks while his nose heals I presume. He might then wear it for a while after as protection.

The helmet is entirely precautionary. I remember he was only to due to wear it a couple of years, but after he had a bang on the head playing for the Czech Republic in late 2008 (I think it was against Belarus) he decided it would be best to wear it.

There is also the idea of it being a psychological form of protection. Since I injured my knee in 2004, I can't play in goal without a brace on my left knee, otherwise my brain just refuses to acknowledge any movement of the knee which would potentially damage it, ie. diving. Petr's helmet can therefore be a source of confidence for him, as part of some psychological attachment I can absolutely sympathise with.

I think it's also because Czech Republic won't insure him without the helmet. I read that somewhere.

[Lately]Shines when we are safe, lets us (=me) down when it matters.

Sorry, been meaning to say it after the Arse and Liverfail games.

I can't remember what he did wrong against scumpool. Though I totally agree about his performance against Arsenal.