Petr Cech

eldo

To be fair to him, under AVB he was extremely over exposed. At the end of the day, even a world-class keeper, is as good as his defense. But that's not to say that he did not make mistakes (the Wigan goal away in the last 5 mins springs to mind) or have a couple of bad performances (Arsenal at home). But he also saved many points for us.

He has been great for us. To be honest though, I think that there is very little separating the top keepers. I think there are basically keepers who are good enough to play at the top level and keepers that aren't but trying to rank them individually is impossible. Ask 10 people who the best 3 keepesr were in the Premier League last season, and you might not get a single repeating list. You'd also probably get about 10 different names on it. Contrast that to say, striker, where I think everybody would have had RVP, Aguero, and Rooney, as their #-1-3 strikers in some order. All top keepers make fantastic saves and all make mistakes. This is why keepers are probably the cheapest position to buy. Neuer who is a great keeper was the second most expensive keeper ever and cost 22M euros. Cech who is one of the better keepers in the world, cost £7M pounds. Cech has solidified our defence for many years and come up big in some big games. He is a very good goalie.

He has been great for us. To be honest though, I think that there is very little separating the top keepers. I think there are basically keepers who are good enough to play at the top level and keepers that aren't but trying to rank them individually is impossible. Ask 10 people who the best 3 keepesr were in the Premier League last season, and you might not get a single repeating list. You'd also probably get about 10 different names on it. Contrast that to say, striker, where I think everybody would have had RVP, Aguero, and Rooney, as their #-1-3 strikers in some order. All top keepers make fantastic saves and all make mistakes. This is why keepers are probably the cheapest position to buy. Neuer who is a great keeper was the second most expensive keeper ever and cost 22M euros. Cech who is one of the better keepers in the world, cost £7M pounds. Cech has solidified our defence for many years and come up big in some big games. He is a very good goalie.

I absolutely agree. The point I was trying to make in the previous page is that Petr had the best season among these keeper with a few huge performances and world class saves in big matches (and it doesn't get any bigger than saving three penalties in a CL final). Add to that the fact that keepers' (or any other football players for that matter) "rankings", or how good they are generally thought to be, is affected by their achievements. So, imo, Petr deserves to be currently regarded as best keeper in the world for what he's done this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Goalkeepers generally stay on longer than most outfield players in terms of their careers, yet I get a worrying suspicion that Petr is going to retire earlier than most keepers due to his head injury. I know it hasn't really affected him thus far, but I fear it will.

Goalkeepers generally stay on longer than most outfield players in terms of their careers, yet I get a worrying suspicion that Petr is going to retire earlier than most keepers due to his head injury. I know it hasn't really affected him thus far, but I fear it will.

Sadly, I agree :(

On the plus side, that means Courtois only has to wait on the sidelines for a couple of seasons.

• 1 month later...

He should stop to kick the ball toward the opponent's box. The only players we have being able to put a header are our defenders. Our forwards are midgets. I don't know whether it's Lollichon who doesn't tell him to stop, or if it's him who doesn't want to change (or doesn't realise he has to), but this is a non-sense. He should rather do a short pass to a defender. Because at the moment, we lose to much possession because of this.

He's kicking the ball up because sometimes defenders miss it and our pacy players have the chance to run around them and move the ball to 1v1 situation. Absolutely great performance from him. The solid man run the show at the back today. Feel bad for Courtois as he won't be seeing much of our goal with the big man in charge.